Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bought a cheap bike, will I regret it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Bought a cheap hybrid from Halfords. I'm worried it'll suck, but I couldn't justify spending as much as the rest of them cost. I just need it from A to B nothing special, and I had a fairly expensive one before and it also sucked quite bad so I don't see there being much difference between expensive and cheap ones. Well I'll soon find out anyway.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Mistletoe)
    Bought a cheap hybrid from Halfords. I'm worried it'll suck, but I couldn't justify spending as much as the rest of them cost. I just need it from A to B nothing special, and I had a fairly expensive one before and it also sucked quite bad so I don't see there being much difference between expensive and cheap ones. Well I'll soon find out anyway.
    To be honest, I think the key is just needing it to get from A to B... I bought a second hand one for £70 and yeh it's not great, but it does the job of getting me from A to B...

As long as it's safe, and you're comfortable on it, then I guess that's the main thing...!

A cheap bike almost certainly put you off cycling. A cheap bike will be made from cheap components, usually have brakes that barely work and they are nearly as light as the planet Mercury. Parts on the bike may rattle, wear out fast or just not work properly.

An expensive bike will usually be a much better prospect. The most important thing to get right is the size, f***ing that up will make an awsome bike a terrible match and will be painful to ride, no matter what you pay for it. Getting a decent bike will make the time you spend riding it much more pleasant and you will therefore be more inclined to actually use it. If your using it for commuting then that will be a lot of time on the bike, might aswell get something decent altho not cost thousands. The second most important thing is a good lock. Some scum would steal your eyes of of their sockets when they think you aint lookin.

With that said, if all you want is to go to the local shop and back, or just around your local town, a cheap BSO (bike shaped object) will be ideal. Anything more than a mile or 2 I would invest a bit more money in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.