Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why aren't we tough on crime? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCosmicWizard)
    Might want to research a bit more before making comments like that one. I.E.
    http://www.deathpenaltyworldwide.org...y=Saudi+Arabia

Would you agree that child killers and serial killers are mentally ill?
    Looked through that briefly, but I see no mention of giving offenders three strikes if there is please do point it out.

Not always, but I don't think that's relevant, they still committed the crimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'etranger)

Good countries like the United Arab Emirates have low levels of poverty and draconian laws and they enjoy extremely low rates of crime.

You are joking right ? Pull the other one its got bells on ! Blatant troll is Blatant

Good countries like the UAE! Jog on matey,

ReputationRep:
    Poorer people are much more inclined towards criminality than the rich.

Or.......

Criminals are more likely to be poor than the law abiding.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by joe cooley)
    Or.......

Criminals are more likely to be poor than the law abiding.
    Thats nonsensical. Ifc criminals are more likely to be poor than law abiding, because they are mutually exclusive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demaistre)
    Looked through that briefly, but I see no mention of giving offenders three strikes if there is please do point it out.

Not always, but I don't think that's relevant, they still committed the crimes.
    Where have I mentioned three strikes? Not once !
    I'm debating whether death penalty is an effective means of deterrent , which it isn't as people still commit the crimes anyway.

You think that mentally ill people should be put to death? Or, you think that is perfectly sane to be a child killer serial killer ?

ReputationRep:
    Why?

We've seen a long term drop in crime without draconian sentences.

Throwing anyone into prison for 5 years for minor crimes is overkill and just places a massive burden on the tax payer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCosmicWizard)
    Where have I mentioned three strikes? Not once !
    I'm debating whether death penalty is an effective means of deterrent , which it isnt as people still commit the crimes anyway.
    You highlighted 'three strikes' and I assumed you were responding to that as well. whether or not it deters people I still think it's for the good of a society that you have it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Thats nonsensical. Ifc criminals are more likely to be poor than law abiding, because they are mutually exclusive.
    You're simply spouting the standard middle class nonsense with the added twist of a middle class superiority complex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikachū)
    >painless death penalty is bad
    >solitary confinement, whole life of suffering and mental torture is fine
    No neither is fine ,are there alternatives ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    Why?

Throwing anyone into prison for 5 years for minor crimes is overkill and just places a massive burden on the tax payer.
    isn't that then to say that correlation = causation? how can you know that the decrease in crime is a result of our lack of harsher penalties? I wouldn't understand how the studying of human behaviour and incentives would point to a reality whereby if you sanction individuals less then they'll do that sanctionable act less...? so surely what you're really say (or ought to be saying) is that our society that features less strict punishments just *happens* to have coped without it, but is that then to say that to reintroduce those punishments would cause an opposite effect towards society? because I don't know how you can really say that. surely it might make things even better if the factor regarding the decrease in crime is unrelated? it would have to be unrelated if there is no causal link, surely? but how is there not a causal link when we increase the incentives for people to not perform certain crimes with regards to the clear terror in the punishments i.e. a death penalty? and, again, I'm not saying the DP is flawless, I think it *is* flawed, but let's suppose it works most of the time in terms of the punishment of guilty people - surely it *would* make people think twice before committing crimes that would clearly not be worth that level of risk?

ReputationRep:
    We are too tough on crime as it is, we need to be getting rid of laws not adding them.
    • Very Important Poster

Poorer people are much more inclined towards criminality than the rich.
    Maybe that would be because they are poor, so are more likely to have money problems and all the pressures they cause.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Quantex)
    Why?

Well he never claimed it was the brightest idea, just it was his. A reasonable number of TSR members would actually have been executed if the OP got their way.

ReputationRep:
    Read your sentence again it makes no sense. You should be embarrassed.
    Me embarrassed?

After stating:

Upper middle class people are generally kinder and more intelligent than the poor and many of them have sadly deluded themselves into the ridiculous belief that poor people are like them and would act like them if they had the same opportunities and social capital they have, this is not true.

Telling others they should beembarrassed is laughable.

Self awareness is not a concept you embrace, is it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeYou2Night)
    Any crime - 5 year minimum sentence and a £5000 fine.
    Unworkable, there's not enough prison space as it is. Besides where will criminals(who are usually poor) get £5k from?

Foreign criminals, even for petty crime would be deported upon conviction.
    It depends on the definition of petty crime. If you're passed out drunk you can be arrested for being drunk and incapable which is hardly grounds to deport someone.

Burglars will sacrifice their rights upon breaking into the poor victims house, meaning the burglar scum can't sue the owner of the property if they get injured or even better bit by a dog.
    Totally agree.

Their face will pinned up on local notice boards so people know who they are and where they live.
    This already happens anyway in local papers.

In my ideal world, they'd all be executed and all prisons would be converted into affordable housing communities to help with the housing crisis.
    This just sounds deranged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yaboi)
    We are too tough on crime as it is, we need to be getting rid of laws not adding them.
    surely getting rid of laws isn't to say we punish people less severely for crimes as a result...? surely to remove acts from the lists of punishable offences merely isolates our punishments to that list still? so the punishments don't change, simply which acts are punishable? I agree though - a lot of things need to be decriminalised
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by joe cooley)
    Me embarrassed?

After stating:

Upper middle class people are generally kinder and more intelligent than the poor and many of them have sadly deluded themselves into the ridiculous belief that poor people are like them and would act like them if they had the same opportunities and social capital they have, this is not true.

Telling others they should beembarrassed is laughable.

Self awareness is not a concept you embrace, is it.
    How do you work out upper middle class people are kinder?
    Tell is how poor people are different without slippining into generalities.
    How do you think they would act differently?

ReputationRep:
    How do you work out upper middle class people are kinder?
    Tell is how poor people are different without slippining into generalities.
    How do you think they would act differently?
    Read the thread/post again, you're asking the wrong guy.

ReputationRep:
    Look how tough the US is on crime. Look how much it's helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Objectivism2017)
    You need to remember that there are criminals and "criminals".

Someone who breaks into a car and steals is a criminal. Someone who accidentally drives 30cm into a bus lane is not a criminal although he is fined.

What is irritating is that the state seems to be going sort in real criminals and yet want to get tough in nonsense criminals like driving In bus lane, wrong turn, various categories of liberal speech crimes like using non-PC words etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What a ridiculous thing to say. The placing of one camera enforces misuse of a bus lane. The fines subsidise the tax payer to the tune of millions and all for a camera.

Real crime as you put it is much harder to prevent or punish.

Where do you stand on white collar crime such as fraud? We like to think of criminals as things that smash your car window but I can't remember the last time I was told about a friend having their car broken into. Fraud is the most prevalent crime in this day and age.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.