Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you pick maths for A-levels if you get a C grade in foundation? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im in year 11 and I did higher maths in my mocks for the first time and I feel like I didn't do well.
    I enjoy maths and really want to pick it for a-levels.
    I just want to if I fail and my teacher tells me to do foundation, can I still pick maths for A-levs?

ReputationRep:
    Talk to your teacher that you aspire to study maths.
    I'm sure you're being highly critical. If you do not get the grade, retake your paper.

If not there's a Level 3 Core Maths qualification you can take.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathe...l-studies-1350

ReputationRep:
    A level maths is a big step up from higher Gcse so you would definitely need to put a load of work in if you took foundation maths- not impossible but it would be very hard work

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't recommend it. A Level Maths is the hardest subject there is- in my college grade requirement is A because it is that demanding. By all means, if you enjoy it take it but it's likely you'll struggle from the very beginning as you wouldn't have covered topics in foundation that are essential for A Level. There are people in my class who got As and A*s for GCSE but struggle to get Cs and Ds at a level so I don't think it would be a wise idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AppleB)
    Talk to your teacher that you aspire to study maths.
    I'm sure you're being highly critical. If you do not get the grade, retake your paper.

If not there's a Level 3 Core Maths qualification you can take.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathe...l-studies-1350
    When can you retake it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopeAsina__)
    Im in year 11 and I did higher maths in my mocks for the first time and I feel like I didn't do well.
    I enjoy maths and really want to pick it for a-levels.
    I just want to if I fail and my teacher tells me to do foundation, can I still pick maths for A-levs?
    This question cropped up a few days ago so I took the opportunity to ask the head of maths from four different schools what the minimum grade would be to be accepted for A level maths next year. Three agreed that a 7 in the new specification was the minimum they would consider, the fourth would consider someone with a 6 but they would have to perform well in an algebra/trigonometry assessment taken before their place was confirmed.

Don't worry too much that you found the mocks hard, everybody has. Concentrate on learning from them and preparing well for the summer. If you have always been a higher tier kind of student your teachers will be very reluctant to put you in for foundation unless they think it's absolutely the best option for you. If you have done very badly through lack of revision ask your maths teacher if you can have a second chance to prove that you have the ability.

If your result is so disappointing that they insist you do foundation then you can't get a 7 or 6 but to be honest if that's what happens you probably don't have the aptitude for A level maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopeAsina__)
    When can you retake it?
    After you have received your results, arrange a convenient time with your teacher.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.