Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I'm having trouble finding the UK- based engineering degree that I would like- is there anything genuinely EXCITING out there? What I mean by that is more hands- on, problem- based learning, or actually doing useful stuff while you study??

I am passionate about the subject, but afraid that years of being lectured at will compromise my interest (and motivation)- tried that before, doesn't work for me...

Are there alternatives? Did anyone have some real-world engineering experience during your degree that fuelled your interest even more?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erinone)
    Hi guys,
    I'm having trouble finding the UK- based engineering degree that I would like- is there anything genuinely EXCITING out there? What I mean by that is more hands- on, problem- based learning, or actually doing useful stuff while you study??

I am passionate about the subject, but afraid that years of being lectured at will compromise my interest (and motivation)- tried that before, doesn't work for me...

Are there alternatives? Did anyone have some real-world engineering experience during your degree that fuelled your interest even more?
    Higher level apprenticeship.

Would give you the hands-on aspects you seem to prefer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Usually you're expected to do the hands on stuff on top of your degree, e.g. most unis will have societies/teams which compete in formula student, IMechE competitions, iGEM, I think there's a rail one too, etc. You can also do internships and research placements, and make projects for yourself.

But yeah, the reason why UK engineering degrees seem a bit more theoretical is because you're expected to find that hands on experience yourself, but you'll still get some practical component in your degree, you'll have group projects based around problem solving and you might have a dissertation based around design, one out of every 2 or 3 of your modules will likely have a coursework component where you need to design a solution to a problem.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.