Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got a conditional offer from Exeter to study Politics and IR.

The offer reads 36 IB points OR 6,6,6 in higher level.

Does this mean that I can get lower than 36 points, but get 666 in HL and get a place?

Or, does it mean that both criteria need to be met?
    I've sent a mail to the uni but they have not yet replied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gabe98)

Does this mean that I can get lower than 36 points, but get 666 in HL and get a place?

Hi there! I got an offer for the same course From what my Uni guidance said, youd generally have to get a 36 and 6/6/6 HL for it to be instant acceptance. However, it means that if you had a near miss (Say, 1-2 points off or a 5 in one or two of your HLs) but fulfilled the other criteria, you'd almost definitely still have your place.

But it doesn't mean you could get a 29 whilst (somehow) getting a 6/6/6 and end up automatically accepted.

ReputationRep:

Interested to hear what the Uni has replied! What did they say about it?

My son got the same offer for Economics from Exeter and we are not sure how to understand it. My guess is either you do 36 overall ( whatever the HL results) OR you need 666 at HL and it doesn't matter if you get 34 or 35.
    Between () they also stated that an A in A level would be the equivalent to a 6HL - my son is doing A level Maths on the side so I guess that means if he gets 665 at HL and A for A level he would still meet the requirements.

Understanding offers can be a bit tricky!

Thanks for letting me know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isawahk)
    Interested to hear what the Uni has replied! What did they say about it?

My son got the same offer for Economics from Exeter and we are not sure how to understand it. My guess is either you do 36 overall ( whatever the HL results) OR you need 666 at HL and it doesn't matter if you get 34 or 35.
    Between () they also stated that an A in A level would be the equivalent to a 6HL - my son is doing A level Maths on the side so I guess that means if he gets 665 at HL and A for A level he would still meet the requirements.

Understanding offers can be a bit tricky!

Thanks for letting me know
    I got an answer in the mail a couple of weeks ago. It is exacly how you stated it. There are two ways you can meet your conditions, either by getting 36 points or by getting 666 in HL
    However, I am not sure on whether a-levels can act as an extra higher level subject or not :/

ReputationRep:
    I got an answer in the mail a couple of weeks ago. It is exacly how you stated it. There are two ways you can meet your conditions, either by getting 36 points or by getting 666 in HL
    However, I am not sure on whether a-levels can act as an extra higher level subject or not :/
    Ok great, thanks for letting me know . Great offer I think!
    As my son is taking that extra A level on the side for maths and an A counts for a 6HL they had to mentioned it as part of their offer to him, it was between (). He decided to take one A level as a security for Maths because he is only taking maths at SL at IB and they usually prefer it at HL for Economics ( or 7 at SL!).
    For him, this is a great offer that doesn't put any pressure on maths.

Wish you all the best for your IB . Hard but worth it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.