Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I need help creating a YouTube channel. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been wanting to set it up for some time now.

I've done some thinking, and I think I'll be going down the commentary route - discussing current affairs and random articles I find amusing and/or ridiculous.

I've got a microphone (Snowball)...

I'm not confident enough to show my face, yet, but I'm happy with being myself and accept all forms of criticism.

I might also even start a thread on Reddit or here to get some ideas. Obviously a lot of the things I will say won't ring true with lots of you, but it's my opinion, and I really, really want to rant about the news.

ReputationRep:
    I think I've seen you around a lot on TSR and I think I know what your views are, so I'd say go for it, we could do with thousands more like you!

P.S. For inspiration I'd recommend taking a look at the channels Computing Forever and Sh0eonhead.

ReputationRep:
    Get a ring light like this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by similarBlank)
    I think I've seen you around a lot on TSR and I think I know what your views are, so I'd say go for it, we could do with thousands more like you!

P.S. For inspiration I'd recommend taking a look at the channels Computing Forever and Sh0eonhead.
    I watch Computing Forever!! He's brilliant!

I know of Sh0eonhead, but never watched her videos :/

Thanks for the comment btw I appreciate it.

The only thing is, I don't know where to start. I've created the channel, but how can I record the screen with the articles/videos on screen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CyclePath)
    I watch Computing Forever!! He's brilliant!

I know of Sh0eonhead, but never watched her videos :/

Thanks for the comment btw I appreciate it.

The only thing is, I don't know where to start. I've created the channel, but how can I record the screen with the articles/videos on screen?
    Have you tried Hypercam?

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried Hypercam?
    No, I haven't actually

So that records the screen and audio/sound?

It's just what I need! Then I can make it more professional as the channel grows (hopefully)

ReputationRep:
    No, I haven't actually

So that records the screen and audio/sound?

It's just what I need! Then I can make it more professional as the channel grows (hopefully)
    I haven't used it in a while, but I'm pretty sure it's still free and it records the screen. Not sure if it records audio, but if there's probably other ways to do that if it doesn't.

At the very worst, you could easily record the audio using a microphone. Speaking of which, a friend of mine just yesterday recommended this mic, saying it was cheap and good quality. (Apparently, I haven't got one yet, but am thinking about it.)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003MFYY..._ZRLFybQ1Y7YBV

ReputationRep:
    I haven't used it in a while, but I'm pretty sure it's still free and it records the screen. Not sure if it records audio, but if there's probably other ways to do that if it doesn't.

At the very worst, you could easily record the audio using a microphone. Speaking of which, a friend of mine just yesterday recommended this mic, saying it was cheap and good quality. (Apparently, I haven't got one yet, but am thinking about it.)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003MFYY..._ZRLFybQ1Y7YBV
    I already have this one

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/snowball-i...E6aBoC6m7w_wcB

ReputationRep:
    Ideally you'd want to record a screen capture with some screen recording software and record your audio seperately with something like audacity. This makes it easy to make edits and then all you need to do is sync up the audio to the video. If you try to screen capture and record your mic audio into one file you may run into problems. You may not be able to seperate the audio and video. You may not be able to define your mic as a the only audio capture device and so on. Keep audio and video seperate so that you can make changes to either as necessary without impacting the other. Need to snip a bit of video out? Won't have to worry about snipping the audio too.

In terms of software there's lots of stuff you can use, do a quick Google search and try some out to see what you like. The only thing you can do at this point is to start recording and making content.

The Snowball is an excellent entry level microphone but you may find that it sits a little low on your desk. You may also want to invest in a cheap pop filter or make your own. You have everything you need so get started.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, yeah, I forgot you mentioned you already had one. :P And at that price I'm guessing yours' is much better quality than the one I showed you.

Coincidentially, I've been thinking of creating vlogging channel recently as well (hence why I was talking to my friend about microphones yesterday) but again have the same problem as you, I don't want to show my face. I'm also not sure what to talk about entirely, I guess social issues, etc, but, you know, maybe eventually I will.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, yeah, I forgot you mentioned you already had one. :P And at that price I'm guessing yours' is much better quality than the one I showed you.

Coincidentially, I've been thinking of creating vlogging channel recently as well (hence why I was talking to my friend about microphones yesterday) but again have the same problem as you, I don't want to show my face. I'm also not sure what to talk about entirely, I guess social issues, etc, but, you know, maybe eventually I will.
    This is calling for a colab in the near future ()!!

I'm going to talk about social issues too, in the subjective-objective format: a bit like Phil D does.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    This is calling for a colab in the near future ()!!

I'm going to talk about social issues too, in the subjective-objective format: a bit like Phil D does.

Good luck!
    Nice, I'll let you know when I do mine.

Btw, here's something I just thought of. You could also post your videos on Minds.com, that social media Computing Forever talks about. You might be more successful on there or something, but it might be a good idea to have it on multiple platforms.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Corbynista)
    You don't need to show your face, you could prepare a power-point with the topic you are covering and then record the power-point and you speaking while going through it.
    If you were doing it this way it'd make more sense to create a series of images and edit them in time to the audio. Making a PowerPoint and then screen capturing it would be far more work.

ReputationRep:
    IMO Make sure you spend enough time and care setting up your studio & getting the audio sounding nice and free from ambient noise and room acoustics. (this isn't the same as spending a lot on a microphone... improvised sound baffles will work fine - could be just something like hanging a beach towel over a cardboard box to catch stray noise..
    people will switch off before even listening to what you're talking about if the audio is bad quality.

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping in making quite short videos 5 minutes max, but of course if something really gets on my nerves, it'll be longer.

ReputationRep:
    OP could use debut video capture software (it's free) and record commentary live while going through the power-point.
    A power point for notes?

ReputationRep:
    OP could use debut video capture software (it's free) and record commentary live while going through the power-point.
    Like I said, there's no point doing this. You're making more work by using a screen capture. Screen capture is only useful if you have something that is moving. PowerPoints aren't moving (unless you are adding animations, at which point you don't look professional). Screen capturing a PowerPoint is equivalent to taking a continuous video of an image.

You could make a PowerPoint and then printscreen each image. Take the images and add them to the video. That's far less processing. That said if you are printscreeening a PowerPoint then you might as well spend the time making the images themselves, which is what I suggested doing instead.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.