Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all. I'm halfway through studying for my nursing qualification. (adult field but mental health and childrens nursing comes up so much I'm pretty confident about answering about that too). Its been a mixed bad so far, fun, rewarding and tough at times.

So if you have any concerns or questions about what it is like to be a student nurse or a student in a similar healthcare profession just ask!

..The only things I don't know are university/course specific details and finance... go elsewhere for help about financial concerns since my answer would be student loans/google/scholarships.

ReputationRep:
    What's the biggest piece of advice you can give? And also what makes year 2 famously difficult? Thankyou and well done getting so far

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wbnurse)
    What's the biggest piece of advice you can give? And also what makes year 2 famously difficult? Thankyou and well done getting so far
    Thanks for saying so

Biggest piece of advice:

Stay positive and sane. -Make the most of any and all opportunities, be proactive in learning and accept that sometimes it is going to be tough emotionally on top of the normal stresses of student life. But on the other hand, make time for yourself to decompress and relax. As a prospective nurse, we can only prioritise our patients if we have first looked after ourselves and in the current political climate and with the state of the NHS this is as important as ever.

I can't answer you yet about second year really since I've felt challenged from the very start of my course. I suppose for a lot of students the second year is tough because the academic level jumps up, both expectations and responsibilities are higher. For some the second year is said to drag as well, but personally I feel like it's all going too quick and I still have so much to learn.

Finally, I guess for future students in healthcare professions such as nursing, it's good to remember that while we are there to learn, it is the patient who has priority, so be mindful of timing when asking questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex_Rasdra)
    Hi all. I'm halfway through studying for my nursing qualification. (adult field but mental health and childrens nursing comes up so much I'm pretty confident about answering about that too). Its been a mixed bad so far, fun, rewarding and tough at times.

So if you have any concerns or questions about what it is like to be a student nurse or a student in a similar healthcare profession just ask!

..The only things I don't know are university/course specific details and finance... go elsewhere for help about financial concerns since my answer would be student loans/google/scholarships.
    Not really a question but pleased to hear you are still going on the course! Hope you are enjoying

ReputationRep:
    How was your first placement like? Is prior experience an advantage?

ReputationRep:
    How did you prepare for your nursing interviews at Uni's? What sort of stuff did you research?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex_Rasdra)

Alex_Rasdra Hi, first of all, thanks so much for starting this thread!!!

How can prospective students best prepare themselves for the start of the course? Can you recommend reading materials or websites we can visit to get our heads around what's to come?

I have a confirmed place at the university of my choice and would like to hear from you since your halfway through your course!

Thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.