Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you let your partner decide what University you go to? Watch

• TSR Support Team

Seen a few of these threads lately but out of curiosity would you change your University plans just to make your boyfriend/girlfriend happier, if originally they were not happy about you going to a University further away or would you put your foot down? Have any of you got supportive partners when going to a University far away?

My own personal feeling is your education especially at a young age is very important and you have to go where it suits you best for yourself and the course you are doing.

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably stay firm on the idea of going to the University I want to and doing what's best for myself. Arguably if your partner was oh-so supportive, they'd stand by your decision and both people will find ways to work things out.

ReputationRep:
    No way! It's my choice and my parents are very firm about where they want me to go in terms of college and I don't think it's fair to have someone decide for you. But I'm biased

ReputationRep:
    Why let somebody who is most likely temporary decide your future which is permanent. Hell na
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Don't have a partner but I'd like to make my own decisions when it comes to uni. It's all about trust and support really.

If she was forcing me to go to London Met then I'd probably dump lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm 24 and have applied this year for Law at several universities. I have a partner that I'm pretty certain I will spend the rest of my life with (sorry to sound cheesy haha), and we had an open discussion about what universities I would apply to. He is incredibly supportive and willing to move with me wherever I go but, understandably, there were places that he didn't want to move to (Nottingham and Newcastle were 2 firm No's). Considering that he will have to probably move jobs etc it was important that we listened to each other.

Ultimately we have decided we are in a commited relationship and that if we are to move it is a decision we have to make together, whilst keeping my education as the main focus. We decided we wanted to stay in the North (as this is where we see ourselves settling down in the future) and so from that Manchester, Sheffield and Leeds were the universities I applied to. More than happy with this outcome as Manchester was actually my first choice at the back of my mind anyway (he did not know this at the time).

I got an offer from The University of Manchester yesterday to study Law. We are both exstatic.

However, I have to say, if the conversation hadn't gone so well I would not have let his wants get in the way of my education and I would have gone to unversity without him. Thankfully it didn't turn out that way haha
    • Political Ambassador

Personally, I wouldn't even choose to be in a relationship while I start university.

And it's my responsibility to choose the best education I can get and to follow my goals, these are my main priorities at this age.

If it was the case to have a partner whilst being a student, I'm sure if the relationship is strong enough, it can survive being separated during uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skeletonclique21)
    No way! It's my choice and my parents are very firm about where they want me to go in terms of college and I don't think it's fair to have someone decide for you.
    I wonder if there's an internal contradiction here.

ReputationRep:
    Don't want to be in a relationship before I start uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Seen a few of these threads lately but out of curiosity would you change your University plans just to make your boyfriend/girlfriend happier, if originally they were not happy about you going to a University further away or would you put your foot down? Have any of you got supportive partners when going to a University far away?

My own personal feeling is your education especially at a young age is very important and you have to go where it suits you best for yourself and the course you are doing.
    I would change only if the uni I switch to is a good one with the same course.

My flatmate in first year left uni because her boyfriend didn't like her being far from home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraxh)
    Don't want to be in a relationship before I start uni.
    But if you were, you wouldn't end your relationship would you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    But if you were, you wouldn't end your relationship would you?
    Hmm If I see a future with my partner then no.

ReputationRep:
    how stupid is that lol

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.