Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I have recently enrolled to start a degree in Business Management & Economics with OU and been excited to start with all of the resources being delivered and getting a head start from reading. However, only today I have received that even if I intend to study full time I would not be allowed to complete the degree within 3 years due to it being a part time university and they're only allowed to charge up to £6750 per academic year.

This is so frustrating and had I been made aware of this earlier I would have though twice about studying with OU at all and looked at studying somewhere that allows you to complete the studies within the 3 years. Has anyone found a decent way around this, or is it my best bet to cancel and seek distance learning courses elsewhere?

Many thanks,

Chris

ReputationRep:
    That's definitely a thing I've heard of with February starts, because the 'years' would overlap. Doing 120 credits from a September start is workable, I think - and I believe you should be able to do 60 credits in February, 60 from September, and then 120 a year from the following September, though? If so, all you're really losing is the few months up 'til September - and I'm not, off the top of my head, aware of anywhere else that will both let you start in February and study by full-time distance learning , so I don't know that you'd gain any particular advantage by going elsewhere. There's also an upside in that starting off more gently may be a better foundation for study, anyway. Or, I guess, you could ask about waiting until September and starting full-time then?

If you can find somewhere else that offers an immediate start and an equivalent programme, then it may be worth considering it instead, but I wouldn't cancel right now on the assumption that other option exists, without finding it first.

ReputationRep:
    its really not related to the feb start. Its the cap placed by sfe.

Honestly just doing the degree really improves job prospects. Its possible to do the degree in 4, if you plan on forfeiting your social and personal life to study. Its also ridiculously cheap for the quality youre getting. No death by powerpoint lectures. If they use powerpoint they use it to illustrate their point rather than reading from it.

ReputationRep:
    I started in February 2014 and I finish this year- I did one module after the other in year 1 then doubled up in Year 2 and 3 so in essence it's taken me about 3.5 years.
    However once you get to level 2 or 3 they do try their utmost to stop you doubling up. I had one advisor say to me 'we recommend you defer as you will find it hard to fit in your work and family responsibilities' that made me laugh. When asked why I was laughing I said 'I haven't worked in two years, I have no kids, pets or elderly parents and my partner is at work all day so I haven't much else to do!'

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.