Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMAG0165.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  511.4 KB

Can someone please explain to me why the answer is b?

ReputationRep:
    The waves are arriving at Y 'in phase' therefore interfering constructively and making a maxima

a phase difference of 2pi is the same thing as a phase difference of 0 - sinusoid waves go on forever repeating the same motion every 2pi (360 deg) i.e. it's a slightly trick question. (same would also apply at 4pi, 6pi etc...)

presumably the possible answers didn't include pi & 0 (in which case the question would be bugged)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    The waves are arriving at Y 'in phase' therefore interfering constructively and making a maxima

a phase difference of 2pi is the same thing as a phase difference of 0 - sinusoid waves go on forever repeating the same motion every 2pi (360 deg) i.e. it's a slightly trick question. (same would also apply at 4pi, 6pi etc...)

presumably the possible answers didn't include pi & 0 (in which case the question would be bugged)
    Yeah they didn't include pi and 0. Hence I was a little bit confused. I had my As physics yesterday. Thankfully nothing weird came like this and thanks for the explanation though

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 20, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.