Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am an international applicant who just got rejected by Cambridge Economics but somehow got an offer from LSE BSc economics. I read some people saying that they would go to LSE over Cambridge and how LSE has an even lower admission rate than oxbridge. I wish I would think that way but deep in my heart I still have this sense of regret and disappointment that I did not make it to Cambridge. Although I probably really do not have what it takes to go to Cambridge but seeing my other friends who got accepted just sort of makes me jealous.

I hope people who have gone through all these can give me some advices. How should I feel in this case? Did I just throw my future out of the window? How do I make myself feel better? It feels like I have somehow left my parents down although they didn't say that explicitly...

And how are the prospects of going to do masters at oxbridge or HYPSM after LSE? And how's student life in lse in general? Heard my seniors say that everyone is crazy about networking and going to IB and that sounds a bit uncomfortable..

I may have sounded whiny but any advice will be much appreciated!!

(posted in the LSE forum but reposting here just to get more opinions)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cowlymeowly)
    I may have sounded whiny
    yes, you really do come off like a whiny ****.

ReputationRep:
    I am an international applicant who just got rejected by Cambridge Economics but somehow got an offer from LSE BSc economics. I read some people saying that they would go to LSE over Cambridge and how LSE has an even lower admission rate than oxbridge. I wish I would think that way but deep in my heart I still have this sense of regret and disappointment that I did not make it to Cambridge. Although I probably really do not have what it takes to go to Cambridge but seeing my other friends who got accepted just sort of makes me jealous.

I hope people who have gone through all these can give me some advices. How should I feel in this case? Did I just throw my future out of the window? How do I make myself feel better? It feels like I have somehow left my parents down although they didn't say that explicitly...

And how are the prospects of going to do masters at oxbridge or HYPSM after LSE? And how's student life in lse in general? Heard my seniors say that everyone is crazy about networking and going to IB and that sounds a bit uncomfortable..

I may have sounded whiny but any advice will be much appreciated!!

(posted in the LSE forum but reposting here just to get more opinions)
    First off, congratulations on your offer!! As you have probably been told getting an offer to study Economics at the LSE is an amazing amazinggg achievement. That being said, being a Cambridge reject myself I can relate Holding that rejection letter was absolutely devastating, however life continues. Cambridge is an incredible institution, however there are other incredible institutions namely LSE. Remember what's done is done and cannot be undone, being upset won't change our situation so try not to dwell on it ( easier said than done, I know :/) .Try not to compare yourself to your friends, you clearly are all talented and crazy intelligent people who will hopefully do amazingly well irrespective of whether you go to Cambridge or LSE. Honestly LSE is amazing, I'm currently on my gap year and I walk past it everyday and hope I also get an offer!

In terms of advice. it's okay to be upset. You MOST DEFINITELY haven't thrown your future out of the window, I laughed when I read that because it honestly couldn't be further away from the truth. As you said people pick LSE over Cambridge for Economics, that speaks volumes. What do you do to feel better: allow yourself to feel the pain, pick yourself up and keep it up! I'm sure that once you meet your offer and study at LSE, you will love your university and get over this Cambridge heartbreak! If you still would like to go to Oxbridge you could always do your masters there and although I have no evidence to back me up I think you have a good chance of getting in .

I can't tell you about student life because I'm not a student there haha , but I'm sure that if you look there will be quite a few threads on it!

In short, you should feel proud.

Best of luck for the future and once again congratulations

( Sorry for the long post, I felt that I could somewhat relate and wanted to reassure you that you're doing much better than you actually think )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    yes, you really do come off like a whiny ****.
    😬😬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woteva1)
    First off, congratulations on your offer!! As you have probably been told getting an offer to study Economics at the LSE is an amazing amazinggg achievement. That being said, being a Cambridge reject myself I can relate Holding that rejection letter was absolutely devastating, however life continues. Cambridge is an incredible institution, however there are other incredible institutions namely LSE. Remember what's done is done and cannot be undone, being upset won't change our situation so try not to dwell on it ( easier said than done, I know :/) .Try not to compare yourself to your friends, you clearly are all talented and crazy intelligent people who will hopefully do amazingly well irrespective of whether you go to Cambridge or LSE. Honestly LSE is amazing, I'm currently on my gap year and I walk past it everyday and hope I also get an offer!

In terms of advice. it's okay to be upset. You MOST DEFINITELY haven't thrown your future out of the window, I laughed when I read that because it honestly couldn't be further away from the truth. As you said people pick LSE over Cambridge for Economics, that speaks volumes. What do you do to feel better: allow yourself to feel the pain, pick yourself up and keep it up! I'm sure that once you meet your offer and study at LSE, you will love your university and get over this Cambridge heartbreak! If you still would like to go to Oxbridge you could always do your masters there and although I have no evidence to back me up I think you have a good chance of getting in .

I can't tell you about student life because I'm not a student there haha , but I'm sure that if you look there will be quite a few threads on it!

In short, you should feel proud.

Best of luck for the future and once again congratulations

( Sorry for the long post, I felt that I could somewhat relate and wanted to reassure you that you're doing much better than you actually think )
    Thanks for your reply! Much appreciated! Maybe we can meet each other in LSE one day haha. Hopefully the sting of reading 'intense competition at Cambridge' on the rejection letter can go away soon😅

ReputationRep:
    😬😬
    haha. Well done you for taking it in good part.

Sensibly, though, "I have to do Economics at the LSE" is the world's smallest problem and you are the envy of would be economics students around the world.

Know as well that (i) many of those rolling up for Cambridge undergraduate economics programme in September will themselves have stared in disbelief at a rejection from the LSE (ii) many international students favour the LSE over Cambridge because the Cambridge course will require that in the first year you take essay based courses on modern British political history and on contemporary British society, neither of which appeals to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    haha. Well done you for taking it in good part.

Sensibly, though, "I have to do Economics at the LSE" is the world's smallest problem and you are the envy of would be economics students around the world.

Know as well that (i) many of those rolling up for Cambridge undergraduate economics programme in September will themselves have stared in disbelief at a rejection from the LSE (ii) many international students favour the LSE over Cambridge because the Cambridge course will require that in the first year you take essay based courses on modern British political history and on contemporary British society, neither of which appeals to them.
    haha I could see the emojis on mobile but they appear to be square boxes on desktop.

Anyway thanks for your advice! much appreciated! And honestly I may not even meet the cambridge offer coz I think i sort of screwed up my country's A levels LOL

ReputationRep:
    haha I could see the emojis on mobile but they appear to be square boxes on desktop.

Anyway thanks for your advice! much appreciated! And honestly I may not even meet the cambridge offer coz I think i sort of screwed up my country's A levels LOL
    Honestly, people would kill to get a place at LSE to read Economics..... They're one of the best and most respected universities IN THE WORLD for social science studies, ESPECIALLY economics.
    Many people actually prefer LSE's Economics courses to Cambridge's. And they have wonderful connections to industries = real world. In many aspects more so than Cambridge.
    I have a suspicion your concern is perhaps based on your not-knowing enough about about LSE, and probably about UK universities in general.

So, congratulations for getting an offer from such a wonderful institute. You should be very proud of yourself.

ReputationRep:
    You should be chipper. I'd skin myself to go to LSE on any program, but for economics especially there's nowhere better.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply! Much appreciated! Maybe we can meet each other in LSE one day haha. Hopefully the sting of reading 'intense competition at Cambridge' on the rejection letter can go away soon😅
    aaah yesss that was of no consolation I've already 'fully recovered' from the rejection so it's all good Hopefully you do soon! And yesss if I do get in then we could!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Honestly, people would kill to get a place at LSE to read Economics..... They're one of the best and most respected universities IN THE WORLD for social science studies, ESPECIALLY economics.
    Many people actually prefer LSE's Economics courses to Cambridge's. And they have wonderful connections to industries = real world. In many aspects more so than Cambridge.
    I have a suspicion your concern is perhaps based on your not-knowing enough about about LSE, and probably about UK universities in general.

So, congratulations for getting an offer from such a wonderful institute. You should be very proud of yourself.
    Thanks for your advice! I do know that LSE is a top institution but you know, if I go to Cambridge my parents can brag about it and everyone else will go wow. but anyway on the level of personal learning, this doesn't really matter. But still feels kind of good when you can make your parents proud right LOL

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your advice! I do know that LSE is a top institution but you know, if I go to Cambridge my parents can brag about it and everyone else will go wow. but anyway on the level of personal learning, this doesn't really matter. But still feels kind of good when you can make your parents proud right LOL
    Lol Brag

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.