The Student Room Group

Going on a date with the first guy I kissed 6 years ago?

Let's call him E. E and I didn't keep in touch at all since our friendship as kids ended. So it all started at the end of the summer (like 6 months ago) when he followed me on social media and added me on snapchat, then in October we had the same table in a pub as my group of friends knew his group of friends. In November we started talking and E was asking me if I was in a relationship with a guy I was hanging around with in the pub, but E did have a girlfriend at that time.

At the end of November he was telling me how we should go for a drink, I told him I didn't think it was ok, considering his gf. E was saying that their relationship (2 years together) is almost over cause they don't get along. In December his good friend died in a car accident so I was there for him almost everyday, as a friend.

E broke up with her before New Year's. Since January started he really wanted us to meet, I kept delaying this ''date'' because I find it extremely weird to go on a date with my childhood first kiss. I mean we haven't talked in 6 years, it's so strange. And I'm not looking for anything serious right now so I wouldn't want to give him the wrong impression. What should I do? :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
He just broke up and he wants to go on a date with you, sounds like rebound to me. You said it was weird yourself, so don't force yourself to go and definitely don't lead him on. If you don't want anything serious then either hang out as friends or for a catch up but you should tell him it's not a date so he understands. Or just don't go through with it at all.
(edited 7 years ago)
tell him honestly- if youre honest he'll understand

it weird how he just broken up and wants to move on so quickly- even with a relationship of two years.

he cant force you, so if you dont want to, you have the right to say no :yep:
Reply 3
Original post by UWS
He just broke up and he wants to go on a date with you, sounds like rebound to me. You said it was weird yourself, so don't force yourself to go and definitely don't lead him on. If you don't want anything serious then either hang out as friends or for a catch up but you should tell him it's not a date so he understands. Or just don't go through with it at all.

He's 2 years older than me and he seems really mature for his age and I'd say he's looking for something serious, not purely playing around, that's why I don't know if I should go further with this, wouldn't want to waste his time. Plus he didn't flirt with me while he was with her, even if they weren't a happy couple anymore, so that shows he has respect and good character.

Yes, I'd like to hang out just as friends to catch up, but it's still kind of weird, don't you think?
Reply 4
Original post by EC
He's 2 years older than me and he seems really mature for his age and I'd say he's looking for something serious, not purely playing around, that's why I don't know if I should go further with this, wouldn't want to waste his time. Plus he didn't flirt with me while he was with her, even if they weren't a happy couple anymore, so that shows he has respect and good character.

Yes, I'd like to hang out just as friends to catch up, but it's still kind of weird, don't you think?

It would only be weird if you make it weird tbh. But if you're in doubt over it then theres no point in delaying the date any more, you just need to say that you're not interested in anything serious right now.
it took him 2 years to realise he doesn't get along with his gf?
Reply 6
Original post by CleverSquirrel
tell him honestly- if youre honest he'll understand

it weird how he just broken up and wants to move on so quickly- even with a relationship of two years.

he cant force you, so if you dont want to, you have the right to say no :yep:

Honestly, I think his feelings for her kind of faded since summer, that's what some of his friends were saying, they weren't that close anymore.
Original post by Palmyra

perhaps a week to realise it and two years to extricate himself. I am not a man of action, no.
Reply 8
Original post by Palmyra

A relationship can be amazing for a period of time and then you both might change, start arguing more, feelings fade and you come to the conclusion that you're not capable of building the relationship anymore.

Also there are some people who never realize their partner is not right for them.
Reply 9
Original post by cambio wechsel
perhaps a week to realise it and two years to extricate himself. I am not a man of action, no.

:rofl: :rofl:

Cambiooooooooooooo...thx for always making me laugh.
Original post by EC
A relationship can be amazing for a period of time and then you both might change, start arguing more, feelings fade and you come to the conclusion that you're not capable of building the relationship anymore.

Also there are some people who never realize their partner is not right for them.

i get that circumstances can change precluding the continuation of the relationship, but to not "get along" after a significant period of time seems strange to me. i don't really buy the argument that people just randomly "change" in a manner fatal to established relationships (other than when "change" means develop a drug habit or something), they were clearly just always like that but didn't show it.
Reply 11
Original post by Palmyra
i get that circumstances can change precluding the continuation of the relationship, but to not "get along" after a significant period of time seems strange to me. i don't really buy the argument that people just randomly "change" in a manner fatal to established relationships (other than when "change" means develop a drug habit or something), they were clearly just always like that but didn't show it.

Uh, change doesn't necessarily mean developing an addiction or dramatically changing your behaviour into something worse.

We are constantly changing, there are no certainties. Life is continuously changing and of course we're changing with it even if we might not realize it. That's why it's hard to find that person who is growing with you in the same way, at the same time and who also encourages you to grow.
Original post by EC
Uh, change doesn't necessarily mean developing an addiction or dramatically changing your behaviour into something worse.

We are constantly changing, there are no certainties. Life is continuously changing and of course we're changing with it even if we might not realize it. That's why it's hard to find that person who is growing with you in the same way, at the same time and who also encourages you to grow.

i am agreeing that as new circumstances arise we find out more about ourselves and those around us from how we respond, but this isn't really us changing as much as it is revealing parts of us which were always there

in that sense, such revelations should be at least partially deducible from shared experiences up to that date, and at the very least this means that any material change to the relationship is more likely to emanate from a change in circumstance than a change in who we are
Reply 13
Original post by Palmyra
i am agreeing that as new circumstances arise we find out more about ourselves and those around us from how we respond, but this isn't really us changing as much as it is revealing parts of us which were always there

in that sense, such revelations should be at least partially deducible from shared experiences up to that date, and at the very least this means that any material change to the relationship is more likely to emanate from a change in circumstance than a change in who we are

Yes, maybe these parts were always there, but there are also experiences who make us lose parts of ourselves or discover new ones so we kind of renew ourselves through this process.

I think conditions make people change accordingly. The thing is that I've been put in situations like ending friendships of 10 years because our mentalities were so different and simply couldn't get along anymore, we no longer shared the same ideas or values so we weren't getting along. But maybe I couldn't see how they were from the beginning and it took me that much. Lol.
Reply 14
:lies:

not cheating at all.
Reply 15
Lol, you people are crazy. How does someone want a rebound relationship when they aren't suffering and they're the one who decided to end things? I don't want anything serious atm, so I couldn't really see myself with anyone right now, I have other things on my mind.
Original post by EC
Lol, you people are crazy. How does someone want a rebound relationship when they aren't suffering and they're the one who decided to end things? I don't want anything serious atm, so I couldn't really see myself with anyone right now, I have other things on my mind.

Even if they were the one who ended it, they're still not over it. He was in a relationship with her for 2 years, he can't forget her that easily. If he's after you that quickly after a long term relationship, you probably are his rebound.
Like you said, you're not looking for anything serious, that is good. Don't let yourself get too attached, and make it clear to him that you don't want a serious relationship.
Take care xxx
Reply 17
I didn't mention stuff cause people on TSR don't bother reading really long posts. :rolleyes:

YES IT IS REALLY HARD.
Reply 18
Original post by Eternalflames
Even if they were the one who ended it, they're still not over it. He was in a relationship with her for 2 years, he can't forget her that easily. If he's after you that quickly after a long term relationship, you probably are his rebound.
Like you said, you're not looking for anything serious, that is good. Don't let yourself get too attached, and make it clear to him that you don't want a serious relationship.
Take care xxx

If he's after you that quickly

Actually I think he's one of the fewest who still know how to make conversation and be friends first without unnecessary bs, so not moving quickly at all.

The word rebound didn't even occur to me and my thread was certainly not about that, I think most of you kind of got the wrong idea. Lol.

Yeah, I don't get easily attached lucky me so that's fine. :tongue:
Original post by EC
Let's call him E. E and I didn't keep in touch at all since our friendship as kids ended. So it all started at the end of the summer (like 6 months ago) when he followed me on social media and added me on snapchat, then in October we had the same table in a pub as my group of friends knew his group of friends. In November we started talking and E was asking me if I was in a relationship with a guy I was hanging around with in the pub, but E did have a girlfriend at that time.

At the end of November he was telling me how we should go for a drink, I told him I didn't think it was ok, considering his gf. E was saying that their relationship (2 years together) is almost over cause they don't get along. In December his good friend died in a car accident so I was there for him almost everyday, as a friend.

E broke up with her before New Year's. Since January started he really wanted us to meet, I kept delaying this ''date'' because I find it extremely weird to go on a date with my childhood first kiss. I mean we haven't talked in 6 years, it's so strange. And I'm not looking for anything serious right now so I wouldn't want to give him the wrong impression. What should I do? :s-smilie:

Sounds like he was lining you up. I disagree about it being a rebound or at least I wouldnt put much faith in what he says. You dont really know him.

Go on a date if you want. He wants to sleep with you, maybe that suits you?.

Quick Reply

Latest