Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Going on a date with the first guy I kissed 6 years ago? Watch

• Very Important Poster

(Original post by EC)
    Let's call him E. E and I didn't keep in touch at all since our friendship as kids ended. So it all started at the end of the summer (like 6 months ago) when he followed me on social media and added me on snapchat, then in October we had the same table in a pub as my group of friends knew his group of friends. In November we started talking and E was asking me if I was in a relationship with a guy I was hanging around with in the pub, but E did have a girlfriend at that time.

At the end of November he was telling me how we should go for a drink, I told him I didn't think it was ok, considering his gf. E was saying that their relationship (2 years together) is almost over cause they don't get along. In December his good friend died in a car accident so I was there for him almost everyday, as a friend.

E broke up with her before New Year's. Since January started he really wanted us to meet, I kept delaying this ''date'' because I find it extremely weird to go on a date with my childhood first kiss. I mean we haven't talked in 6 years, it's so strange. And I'm not looking for anything serious right now so I wouldn't want to give him the wrong impression. What should I do?
    Sounds like he was lining you up. I disagree about it being a rebound or at least I wouldnt put much faith in what he says. You dont really know him.

Go on a date if you want. He wants to sleep with you, maybe that suits you?.
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by Corbynista)
    Wow generalisation. I read long posts, I tried to read every post in a thread except for threads with hundreds of pages.
    Well then you forgot to tell me that about yourself.
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by 999tigger)
    Sounds like he was lining you up. I disagree about it being a rebound or at least I wouldnt put much faith in what he says. You dont really know him.

Go on a date if you want. He wants to sleep with you, maybe that suits you?.
    Lol, I seriously don't think someone has time to plan in advance lining chicks up when their good friend dies. Plus it's a small city, everyone knows everyone and he doesn't have that reputation.

I'm just afraid it might be awkward or it'd go into a direction I don't want it to go, ugh. Not dedicating myself entirely to one person, as I wouldn't have the time now, would suit me.
    • Political Ambassador

You never asked lol

"I don't get easily attached lucky me so that's fine."

:lies:
    Don't steal my fav emoticon. :rofl:

& It's true, it's a family thing.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by EC)
    Lol, I seriously don't think someone has time to plan in advance lining chicks up when their good friend dies. Plus it's a small city, everyone knows everyone and he doesn't have that reputation.

I'm just afraid it might be awkward or it'd go into a direction I don't want it to go, ugh. Not dedicating myself entirely to one person, as I wouldn't have the time now, would suit me.
    At any one time boys like to have options. Not sure what you wnat. You have alrweady made your mind up although you sound confused. Work out what you wnat and if worried then tell him the boundaries. Go FWB.

ReputationRep:
    EC

I hope you aren't considering cheating on me.

• Political Ambassador

I went to a lot of trouble to use that emoticon, I have pop ups blocked so when I had to go to more options more smileys I had to unblock the pop up.

And you don't waste any time do you? Wanting to create a family with me already. I don't know. Whatever next.
    Oh my......lmfao :rofl: you could just type lies between :: y'know?

Lol...just go with the flow.
    • Political Ambassador

At any one time boys like to have options. Not sure what you wnat. You have alrweady made your mind up although you sound confused. Work out what you wnat and if worried then tell him the boundaries. Go FWB.
    I'm confused because I'm quite afraid whatever I choose might end up quite messy, fwb did for me. I'll talk to him face to face anyway as I think it's best.

Thank you.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by EC)
    I'm confused because I'm quite afraid whatever I choose might end up quite messy, fwb did for me. I'll talk to him face to face anyway as I think it's best.

Thank you.
    Just because you kissed him 6 years ago doesnt mean you know him. the bereavement is a bit of a red herring as well. You need to bear that in mind plus it takes time to know someone, plus they cna change.

As you are single you decide what best suits you. What you do and do not want.
    Go on a few dates and see how it feels. If satisfied and you get to the stage where you are exclusive i.e bf//gf, then talk to him then about what his ideas are as well as your own. Theres no point continuing if you want different things. Once you start sleeping together then things wont be the same as friends. There is no harm in deciding what you want and then telling someone.
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by KyleH123)
    EC

I hope you aren't considering cheating on me.

Ofc not. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC)
    Let's call him E. E and I didn't keep in touch at all since our friendship as kids ended. So it all started at the end of the summer (like 6 months ago) when he followed me on social media and added me on snapchat, then in October we had the same table in a pub as my group of friends knew his group of friends. In November we started talking and E was asking me if I was in a relationship with a guy I was hanging around with in the pub, but E did have a girlfriend at that time.

At the end of November he was telling me how we should go for a drink, I told him I didn't think it was ok, considering his gf. E was saying that their relationship (2 years together) is almost over cause they don't get along. In December his good friend died in a car accident so I was there for him almost everyday, as a friend.

E broke up with her before New Year's. Since January started he really wanted us to meet, I kept delaying this ''date'' because I find it extremely weird to go on a date with my childhood first kiss. I mean we haven't talked in 6 years, it's so strange. And I'm not looking for anything serious right now so I wouldn't want to give him the wrong impression. What should I do?
    I don't see why the fact that he was your first kiss is a problem? You lost contact with him, how is that strange? And if you don't want anything serious then let him know. The guy I was seeing made it seem like he was very serious and recently told me that things are 'getting too serious'. This came as a complete surprise and was very unfair. My point is that if you don't want something serious and don't let him know until later down the line, it could really hurt him. People need to be more honest.
    • Political Ambassador

Just because you kissed him 6 years ago doesnt mean you know him. the bereavement is a bit of a red herring as well. You need to bear that in mind plus it takes time to know someone, plus they cna change.

As you are single you decide what best suits you. What you do and do not want.
    Go on a few dates and see how it feels. If satisfied and you get to the stage where you are exclusive i.e bf//gf, then talk to him then about what his ideas are as well as your own. Theres no point continuing if you want different things. Once you start sleeping together then things wont be the same as friends. There is no harm in deciding what you want and then telling someone.
    I know, he obviously grew up and anyone could notice how different he is now. I'll see how things go and will continue from there if it feels nice.

Thanks a lot for your advice, really helps.
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by Mnanon123)
    I don't see why the fact that he was your first kiss is a problem? You lost contact with him, how is that strange? And if you don't want anything serious then let him know. The guy I was seeing made it seem like he was very serious and recently told me that things are 'getting too serious'. This came as a complete surprise and was very unfair. My point is that if you don't want something serious and don't let him know until later down the line, it could really hurt him. People need to be more honest.
    I think it's strange cause I just stopped speaking with him after we kissed when we were younger, I don't even know why.

Yeah, I know it would be unfair, that's why I don't want to do that. I don't want to lie to anyone and I told him I'm having a really busy time preparing to get into uni so I think he understands that.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.