Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need Life advice, thanks! (Be my therapist and ask questions, please) Post #1 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Where do I begin? Hmm
    I'm going to use this post as a sort of therapy session if that's ok with everyone reading.

To start off, I'm 21, not in university, I have social issues and I have no friends haha! great.

Ok long story short... I failed my A levels in sixth-form, spent the subsequent year gaining a Btec qualification to get into uni. I did get offers, but I wanted to improve some of my A-levels. So the next year, i moved to another city and tried and failed to get a job and failed my exam resits again!
    But then, I got into uni and left after a week.

A month after that, I got a job and used some money to go towards starting a business...

Now, wtf do I do? I'm unmotivated most of the time, have deep thoughts about life and I want to teach myself film-making but idk I keep making excuses. I find it hard connecting with people and generally just unsocial.

I'm not really sure what kind of responses I'd like to receive from this or if this would work the way I imagine it to, but just ask me questions like a therapist would and let's see where this gets us.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    What does your business do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NI30241834)
    What does your business do?
    Nothing major, It's gonna be an online clothing brand, with realistic aims

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck friend but if your going to succeed in your business surly you need some more motivation and drive than what your OP said. Have you thought it all through like marketing, manufacturing etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sy_forever)
    Where do I begin? Hmm
    I'm going to use this post as a sort of therapy session if that's ok with everyone reading.

To start off, I'm 21, not in university, I have social issues and I have no friends haha! great.

Ok long story short... I failed my A levels in sixth-form, spent the subsequent year gaining a Btec qualification to get into uni. I did get offers, but I wanted to improve some of my A-levels. So the next year, i moved to another city and tried and failed to get a job and failed my exam resits again!
    But then, I got into uni and left after a week.

A month after that, I got a job and used some money to go towards starting a business...

Now, wtf do I do? I'm unmotivated most of the time, have deep thoughts about life and I want to teach myself film-making but idk I keep making excuses. I find it hard connecting with people and generally just unsocial.

I'm not really sure what kind of responses I'd like to receive from this or if this would work the way I imagine it to, but just ask me questions like a therapist would and let's see where this gets us.
    Thanks!
    Well what's your aim? Your aim in life in general, what do you want to do?

If you have social issues that might be somewhat deep, affecting your life negatively, make the most of a country that actually has free healthcare and see a real therapist.

Do you generally feel more motivated when you have a clear set of tasks to do like at a university when you might have deadlines or when you work by yourself or neither? Also, about the social issues, they could just be an issue of lacking self confidence because of you situation and I think that becoming more sociable can come after improving the career aspect of your life and feel more secure and confident.

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck friend but if your going to succeed in your business surly you need some more motivation and drive than what your OP said. Have you thought it all through like marketing, manufacturing etc.
    yeah yeah I have done a bit of work, I've submitted IP protection for brand logo and created design mock ups. I've researched companies that I like for manufacturing eg screenprinting, contacted them for quotes.
    Regarding marketing, I'm going to get a start-up loan and with that they provide mentoring, so that'l help.

Problem I got is I have no room at home, and I really want to move away from home haha. But I guess I'll have to make due for the time being.

My Issue is that I think too much about 'what if's and get down/ depressed

And also thanks for replying

ReputationRep:
    yeah yeah I have done a bit of work, I've submitted IP protection for brand logo and created design mock ups. I've researched companies that I like for manufacturing eg screenprinting, contacted them for quotes.
    Regarding marketing, I'm going to get a start-up loan and with that they provide mentoring, so that'l help.

Problem I got is I have no room at home, and I really want to move away from home haha. But I guess I'll have to make due for the time being.

My Issue is that I think too much about 'what if's and get down/ depressed

And also thanks for replying
    Have you considered renting somewhere for stock? Cheap flat, Garage a shed anything like that could be a solution to your problem.

As for your what if's you need to think about them, think of potential problems then work to overcome them because if you ignore them youl crash and burn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabby888)
    Well what's your aim? Your aim in life in general, what do you want to do?

If you have social issues that might be somewhat deep, affecting your life negatively, make the most of a country that actually has free healthcare and see a real therapist.
    I want to be successful like I want to find and develop hobbies, to a point where I can make a very comfortable living from. Why? My childhood was good, but my teenage years was prickled with episodes of anxiety. Also, the family situation for about 8-9 years was very uncertain for me. Many times I felt powerless.

Things have improved a bit but I've always dreamed of making my families life better, like fixing the house etc.

Look I naturally have very high ambitions which hurts me sometimes because that makes me not enjoy life that much.

But yh I should see a therapist as I live in England.

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered renting somewhere for stock? Cheap flat, Garage a shed anything like that could be a solution to your problem.

As for your what if's you need to think about them, think of potential problems then work to overcome them because if you ignore them youl crash and burn.
    Yh I'll have a look at a garage or a shed, but renting anything other than that would be expensive because i live in London.

Let me expand on what I mean on what ifs, it's like I'm scared of failure, even though I've failed a lot and tried again and again. Eg, I think about if people think that my stuff is ****, what would my parents think? Do I have to make them happy? What if they get too involved?

My family isn't supportive.

ReputationRep:
    Yh I'll have a look at a garage or a shed, but renting anything other than that would be expensive because i live in London.

Let me expand on what I mean on what ifs, it's like I'm scared of failure, even though I've failed a lot and tried again and again. Eg, I think about if people think that my stuff is ****, what would my parents think? Do I have to make them happy? What if they get too involved?

My family isn't supportive.
    Failure is a part of life thats the best lesson my dad ever taught me personally if you fail don't let it knock you down just bounce back and get on with it. Your not obligated to make anyone happy so long as your happy. If your family isn't supportive make a success of it and see how their attitudes change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Do you generally feel more motivated when you have a clear set of tasks to do like at a university when you might have deadlines or when you work by yourself or neither? Also, about the social issues, they could just be an issue of lacking self confidence because of you situation and I think that becoming more sociable can come after improving the career aspect of your life and feel more secure and confident.
    At the moment, I feel motivated when I actually am doing something, like making small progress in anything I do keeps me motivated. But when I am not or I can't, I sit there thinking 'wtf am I doing with my life?' and waste a lot of time.

In my head, I want to have a successful business and explore film-making and some how make enough money to leave home. I think that if I want to be really successful, I have to find my own way out of the 'system'... if that makes sense.

Thanks for replying

ReputationRep:
    Failure is a part of life thats the best lesson my dad ever taught me personally if you fail don't let it knock you down just bounce back and get on with it. Your not obligated to make anyone happy so long as your happy. If your family isn't supportive make a success of it and see how their attitudes change.

I liked the last bit a lot 'If your family isn't supportive make a success of it and see how their attitudes change.'

I need to constantly remind myself that Failure is a part of life, thanks for that

Thanks for that

ReputationRep:
    I want to be successful like I want to find and develop hobbies, to a point where I can make a very comfortable living from. Why? My childhood was good, but my teenage years was prickled with episodes of anxiety. Also, the family situation for about 8-9 years was very uncertain for me. Many times I felt powerless.

Things have improved a bit but I've always dreamed of making my families life better, like fixing the house etc.

Look I naturally have very high ambitions which hurts me sometimes because that makes me not enjoy life that much.

But yh I should see a therapist as I live in England.
    That's really sweet of you. It sounds like you have the right mindset all that's left really is being proactive.

Wish you the best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies guys, the response has been great and all tips and advice is really helpful.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.