The Student Room Group

BT apprenticeship scheme 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by itzconnorx
Hey JamieGriffin1589,

My job page says the same also. I also have some experience in coding, but I wouldn't call myself an expert either. I have a similar education background to you, I completed sixth form last year and have three A-Levels. Although, I have these, the grades I achieved wasn't as high as I hoped and was targeted. What I'm doing currently is an apprenticeship which I started last August. To cut a long story short, I don't feel like I'm progressing as much as I thought I would, I was supposed to be getting on with Web Dev project alongside with internal stuff for the company, but what I've been doing mainly is internal stuff. In the six months, I've been here, I've been given one web dev project and told my manager countless times about how I feel and that I want more projects. This is the reason why I'm deciding to find another apprenticeship elsewhere.

In terms of BT last year, I know they take a long time to get back to you with an invite to an assessment day, I got an email yesterday saying they'll get back to me in two weeks. When you get the invite it should be somebody from BT recruitment team. In the invite, it will explain everything that will happen throughout the day. Last year, they asked me to prepare a presentation on "Find something in the world that can be made better by using the power of communication", you get a sheet on this, so you know what you need to address etc. Then you participate in a group activity, I can't remember exactly, but we had to discuss about BT hotspots on trains and in public spaces and the benefits to a BT consumer. Then you have your 1 to 1 interview with an assessor, which I found most difficult, because the questions they asked you, some were the usual questions you would expect, but some were something you can't really prepare a solid answer for, so it was like you had to quickly come up with something good to say and I think that's what they are looking for, somebody who can think on their feet fast. Then, you deliver your presentation to an assessor and then they ask you questions at the end about it.

Anymore questions, I'll be happy to answer them!

and Good Luck to you too!

Cheers For that that's really helpfully to know, I'm just doing my Alevels and don't really want to go to Uni due to debt reasons and it's not really for me, Hopefully we both receive good news, if it's a presentation that's completely fine, do you have to prepare the assessment before hand or whilst in the assessment center.
Anyway best of luck for the both of us!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JamieGriffin1589
Cheers For that that's really helpfully to know, I'm just doing my Alevels and don't really want to go to Uni due to debt reasons and it's not really for me, Hopefully we both receive good news, if it's a presentation that's completely fine, do you have to prepare the assessment before hand or whilst in the assessment center.
Anyway best of luck for the both of us!

If you don't mind me asking, what you studying at sixth form?

I didn't go to uni for same reasons to be fair.

You get sent the invitation beforehand and will have to prepare for the assessment beforehand.

Let me know if you hear anything!
If you don't mind me asking, what you studying at sixth form?

I didn't go to uni for same reasons to be fair.

You get sent the invitation beforehand and will have to prepare for the assessment beforehand.

Let me know if you hear anything!

English - Ethics, Philosophy, Theology (Religion), And Sociology.
I was going to go to university to do something along side Human Resources or Police/Law, something along those lines, I'll have to wait and see if i get the grades to do that but I've always had a passion for IT in terms of software making, coding etc, which was the reason why I applied and i'll be sure to let you know if I get any email talking about the assessment.

Let me know how it goes for you, best of luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Just got my email confirming an assessment centre day. 11th April in Bristol. Anyone else got this?
Original post by Joshy4922
Just got my email confirming an assessment centre day. 11th April in Bristol. Anyone else got this?

Hey,

I'm still waiting for my invite.

Could I ask how long did you wait until you got the invite confirming an assessment center day?

Thanks!
Hey,

I'm still waiting for my invite.

Could I ask how long did you wait until you got the invite confirming an assessment center day?

Thanks!

3 weeks after completing my video interview and passing they messaged me, you have 2 days to reply to the email or phone back, else your place is lost.

Any other questions on what happens on the assessment day. Feel free to ask.

Thanks !
3 weeks after completing my video interview and passing they messaged me, you have 2 days to reply to the email or phone back, else your place is lost.

Any other questions on what happens on the assessment day. Feel free to ask.

Thanks !

When you say 2 days to reply to the email, just making sure do you mean the invitation to the assessment center?

And do you have to prepare a presentation?
When you say 2 days to reply to the email, just making sure do you mean the invitation to the assessment center?

And do you have to prepare a presentation?

Yes they will ring you but if they can't get hold of you they will send an email with the formal invitation. You then have a few days to reply to that before they offer your space to another candidate.

And yes you have to prepare a presentation. Would anyone be interested in me posting the PDF doc that was sent with the info on preparing the presentation.
Yes they will ring you but if they can't get hold of you they will send an email with the formal invitation. You then have a few days to reply to that before they offer your space to another candidate.

And yes you have to prepare a presentation. Would anyone be interested in me posting the PDF doc that was sent with the info on preparing the presentation.

Oh okay, thanks very much for that and yes please can you post the PDF with the info on it, thanks so much.
It wouldn't attach as a PDF so it's an image instead hope this helps.

Thank you so much, if you don't mind me asking, what apprenticeship have you applied for?
Thank you so much, if you don't mind me asking, what apprenticeship have you applied for?

No problem and I applied for Cyber Security in Exeter. What about you ?
No problem and I applied for Cyber Security in Exeter. What about you ?

TSO Networks in Walsall
I have my assessment centre in Ipswich on 18th April. I applied for cyber security.
@adampage29 I wish you good luck for then!
@adampage29 I wish you good luck for then!

Thanks mate you too !!
Reply 75
Just got an assessment centre date for the 12th of April in Ipswich, anyone else going?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CG5939
Just got an assessment centre date for the 12th of March in Ipswich, anyone else going?

12th march 2018??
Reply 77
Original post by WaqarAliShabir
12th march 2018??

12th of April my bad
Reply 78
Does the presentation for the Assessment day have to be in regards to what apprenticeship you have applied for eg Cyber Security or is it to be based on any or all of the services offered by BT. A bit confused on what to do for the presentation. Any help appreciated.
Original post by foxy163
Does the presentation for the Assessment day have to be in regards to what apprenticeship you have applied for eg Cyber Security or is it to be based on any or all of the services offered by BT. A bit confused on what to do for the presentation. Any help appreciated.

The presentation doesn't have to be specific to the area you applied for no it can be based on other areas of BT e.g. Mobile, TV, broadband

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending