Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    For a general polynomial function f_n(x) of order n it is a theorem that \displaystyle \frac{f_n(x)}{g_m(x)}=R_{n-m}(x)+\frac{Q_{m-1}(x)}{g_m(x)} for n\geq m where R,Q are polynomial functions of their respective degrees.

One thing though. Doesn't that general equation not leave space for the B, which is a constant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student1256)
    Now that's sexy
    Seriously I'm done with my A2 maths and even I don't get it.

ReputationRep:
    That last one was not for you unless you fully understand the concept of partial fractions which doesn't seem like it at this point.

In regards to your attachment, you have found the left over quadratic when you divided the cubic by x+3. Now factorise that quadratic then express your cubic in terms of 3 the linear factors you end up with.
    If you give this guy rep I deserve some too. Same answer but further up. Just cos he can use TeX

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jane122)
    I didn't call him idiotic, I said his assumption was idiotic. There's a difference , if you weren't too busy flirting with him and RDK
    Hahahahahahahahaha this is some good ass trolling my friend
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Attachment 612472

Finally someone intelligent !
    Right that's wrong so we need to go back a step.

Can you factorise f(x) given the information provided in part a)?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    One thing though. Doesn't that general equation not leave space for the B, which is a constant?
    It does, the constant is part of the function R_1(x) when referring to the theorem.

Remember, a general polynomial is of form f(x)=a_nx^n+a_{n-1}x^{n-1}+a_{n-2}x^{n-2}+...+a_1x+a_0 for a_i\in \mathbb{Q} where a_0 is a constant so it is included.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I swear nobody on this thread bothered to look AT THE PIC.
    If you notice your pic is sideways, which isn't necessarily your fault (TSR Is annoying about it) but there is a correlation between that and your post, I suppose.

One thing you can do to guarantee correct orientation is to upload the image to Imgur and then copy the location and use img tags, or if that fails (it is a bit too long winded to be honest unless you have done it before) is to take multiple by changing the orientation of the phone/camera device and then find one that makes them right way up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamzah249)
    Seriously I'm done with my A2 maths and even I don't get it.
    Yeah it took me a while to get it but that's how they explain sh*t in undergraduate level math at some unis. It's quite a pain to understand sometimes but you get used to the format and wording after a while hamxa bhai. I'm in a level

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking the same thing.
    And looking at examples it's kinda hit and miss whether the constant is included. (I understand it's only in (x+n)^a)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    If you notice your pic is sideways
    I have a meme for that.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it took me a while to get it but that's how they explain sh*t in undergraduate level math at some unis. It's quite a pain to understand sometimes but you get used to the format and wording after a while hamxa bhai. I'm in a level
    Yeah I got it too after a while, just from a stand point of someone who can't get through partial fractions, it's basically impossible to get what he wrote.

Oh are you taking any modules in this month?

ReputationRep:
    It does, the constant is part of the function R_1(x) when referring to the theorem.

Remember, a general polynomial is of form f(x)=a_nx^n+a_{n-1}x^{n-1}+a_{n-2}x^{n-2}+...+a_1x+a_0 for a_i\in \mathbb{Q} where a_0 is a constant so it is included.
    Ok so am i right in saying that this formula covers for the existence of a constant. But doesn't have any way of affirming when it is 0 (ie no constant). So in a question when we aren't given a format for the answer (like a/(x+g) + b/(x+h) + c), assume the existence of a constant?

A partial fractions question, that is.

ReputationRep:

I see! Pure mathematics is beautiful and good job with your work on TSR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamzah249)
    Yeah I got it too after a while, just from a stand point of someone who can't get through partial fractions, it's basically impossible to get what he wrote.

Oh are you taking any modules in this month?
    Hahahahahaha yeah for someone who is finding it difficult comparing coefficients (no offence to that person, I myself was pretty bad at maths) trying to understand that is like trying to decipher ancient hieroglyphs :laugh:
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carpetguy)
    Ok so am i right in saying that this formula covers for the existence of a constant. But doesn't have any way of affirming when it is 0 (ie no constant). So in a question when we aren't given a format for the answer (like a/(x+g) + b/(x+h) + c), assume the existence of a constant?

A partial fractions question, that is.
    Yes it covers for the existence of a constant that is 0 or not.

If you're not provided with a format, assume that there is a constant then you will eventually show through working out that it is either identically 0 or some other value.

ReputationRep:
    I
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Right that's wrong so we need to go back a step.

Can you factorise f(x) given the information provided in part a)?

I got 2x^2+3x+1 when I factorised it

ReputationRep:
    Hahahahahahahahaha this is some good ass trolling my friend
    What are you on about ?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I

I got 2x^2+3x+1 when I factorised it
    Right you need to factorise this quadratic too.

You'll then get:

\displaystyle \frac{10}{(2x+1)(x+1)(x+3)} = \frac{A}{2x+1} + \frac{B}{x+1} + \frac{C}{x+3}

Now find A, B and C using your preferred method.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Right you need to factorise this quadratic too.

You'll then get:

\displaystyle \frac{10}{(2x+1)(x+1)(x+3)} = \frac{A}{2x+1} + \frac{B}{x+1} + \frac{C}{x+3}

Now find A, B and C using your preferred method.
    But I thought you wouldn't write it in the form of 0/x+3 with a remainder of 2x^2+3x+1 and do partial fractions on on the 0/x+3
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    But I thought you wouldn't write it in the form of 0/x+3 with a remainder of 2x^2+3x+1 and do partial fractions on on the 0/x+3
    Nope. Try and get A, B and C but, if you really have no idea what is going on, you probably should ask your teacher to go through it with you again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.