Turn on thread page Beta

boyfriend wont let me leave! watch

ReputationRep:
    what do I do? Ive been with my boyfriend for a long time now, he works and im in uni. We are even looking to get a place together in this next year.
    However, I live at home and commute to uni on the bus which is expensive and time consuming, especially if im only going in for a one hour lecture!
    so ive decided to move into uni accommodation. Even though he works around the corner from the uni and its only a 20 minute car journey from where we both live (the bus is an hour and 30) he doesnt want me to move in, even though its onlly till the end of this academic year.
    He keeps giving me 'solutions' to my travel etc but he know and has acknowledged that i want to move
    he says he doesnt know how he'll cope without being able to see me as much as we do now...which is EVERYDAY.

i dont want to break up with him but idk what to do. weve had lots of discussions about it and some arguments but hes still pressuring me into staying by making me feel guilty.

someone help :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Corbynista)
    You need to do what is best for you and if he loves you then he will understand. If you want to move into uni accomodation just for this academic year then he should support you and it is not as if he still can't see you.
    ive tried to tell him that but at every chance he gets hes telling me not to go! and im afraid he will break up with me if i do

ReputationRep:
    nah mate, he sounds too clingy...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by khk)
    what do I do? Ive been with my boyfriend for a long time now, he works and im in uni. We are even looking to get a place together in this next year.
    However, I live at home and commute to uni on the bus which is expensive and time consuming, especially if im only going in for a one hour lecture!
    so ive decided to move into uni accommodation. Even though he works around the corner from the uni and its only a 20 minute car journey from where we both live (the bus is an hour and 30) he doesnt want me to move in, even though its onlly till the end of this academic year.
    He keeps giving me 'solutions' to my travel etc but he know and has acknowledged that i want to move
    he says he doesnt know how he'll cope without being able to see me as much as we do now...which is EVERYDAY.

i dont want to break up with him but idk what to do. weve had lots of discussions about it and some arguments but hes still pressuring me into staying by making me feel guilty.

Wow he is overreacting quite a bit, do what is good for you. If he don't like it then he is not the right guy for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khk)

No no no

You do what's best for you, trust me in a healthy relationship this would not be an issue. I understand it's upsetting for him, but this is about your uni life and if he really does love you he should be supportive
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by khk)

What a selfish bf. He should grow up. Move to uni as its only shoprt term. You need to maxmise the study condition. No more discussions just do it. If he only works 20 mins away he can easily come and see you (by appointment) and he just sounds selfish and lazy. No need for you to feel any guilt.

ReputationRep:
    You could suggest that you move in together both near uni and his work?

ReputationRep:
    what an idiot. its only 20 mins away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khk)
    ive tried to tell him that but at every chance he gets hes telling me not to go! and im afraid he will break up with me if i do
    Then frankly let him. And be better off.

Good lord that level of clingy is creepy

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he is concerned you are going to meet someone else? He should have a bit more faith and trust in you, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    it's a 20 minute drive and he's threatening to break up with you? how pathetic

if anything you could see each other more since you could stay over at his and get a lift to uni or he could stay at yours and be two minutes from work

ReputationRep:
    Do what's best for you. At the end of the day if he genuinely loves you so much as to not want you to move 20 minutes away, he won't leave you. And if he does then that shows his true feelings. And if he doesn't really care for you as much as he makes out, do you really want to be looking back in a year or two when you're inevitably not together anyway (if he doesn't really care for what's best for you) and thinking "I let him decide my life and it affected my studies etc. and now it isn't/hasn't even working/ed out anyway." Trust me, if someone truly wants to be with you they won't just leave you because of a tiny amount of short term distance. I know it's hard to think of the risk of losing him when he's what you've known for a long time. But you must think of it in the long term. It sounds like he's suffocating you a little and maybe distance would be a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    I once had a pilot flip an aeroplane completely upside down when he wasn't meant to And The aeroplane went half The Earths Gravity over its limit. So do what you want!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    Maybe he is concerned you are going to meet someone else? He should have a bit more faith and trust in you, tbh.
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    Then frankly let him. And be better off.

Good lord that level of clingy is creepy
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    what an idiot. its only 20 mins away.
    (Original post by khk)

As bad as it sounds Markova is probably right. people ditch their bfs/gfs in college a lot.

But yeh don't seem to have that mindset so just move anyways.

ReputationRep:
    Find a compromise between the two of you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.