Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My nurse "abandoned" my smear, said it's because I'm a virgin Watch

ReputationRep:
    Everybody saying that cervical cancer is only caused by HPV is completely wrong. You DO NOT need to have had sex to get cervical cancer!!!
    OP - please persist and get your smear test done, go to a different doctor if you have to, and ignore the people who are telling you not to stress just because you're a virgin!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you to everybody who has posted here, I've gone to Jo's Trust who are a cervical cancer charity (doing their awareness campaign brilliantly, I keep coming across them on twitter) and used their ask the expert feature so I'll see what they say there.

I am going to see the female doctor at the practice and tell her my concerns about the situation and about what the nurse said to me and how it upset me, see if I need to contact the practice manager regarding a complaint.

I'll let you know if Jo's Trust get back and what my doctor says, in case I'm not the only one who is having this problem!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fermion.)
    Everybody saying that cervical cancer is only caused by HPV is completely wrong. You DO NOT need to have had sex to get cervical cancer!!!
    OP - please persist and get your smear test done, go to a different doctor if you have to, and ignore the people who are telling you not to stress just because you're a virgin!
    What they're saying is correct, all cervical cancer is caused by the HPV virus. But this isn't exclusively transmitted by penetrative sex. Skin-to-skin contact can also transmit the virus, which is why there's still a slight risk you can have HPV even when you're a virgin. Now if OP has not taken part in any sexual activity at all (e.g naked cuddling) then it's safe to assume her cervical cancer risk is nil.

ReputationRep:
    People in this thread have naively disregarded the risk of a Pap smear itself. You do realize the speculum they insert into your vagina has been inside many other vaginas, possibly infected with HPV? Of course there are sterilization protocols but you are trusting that they have been followed correctly. Some research concluded that HPV infected cells can be found on instruments inserted into the vagina of women with HPV infection, and that if these instruments are not cleaned and sterilized properly, they will be a potential source of infection for subsequent patients.”False positives are also possible (more common in young women) and unnecessary procedures that follow from them have their own health risks.Bottom-line is that Pap smears are not a risk-free procedure. It's not a no-risk vs risk scenario, you need to weigh up both risks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidelines)
    People in this thread have naively disregarded the risk of a Pap smear itself. You do realize the speculum they insert into your vagina has been inside many other vaginas, possibly infected with HPV? Of course there are sterilization protocols but you are trusting that they have been followed correctly. Some research concluded that HPV infected cells can be found on instruments inserted into the vagina of women with HPV infection, and that if these instruments are not cleaned and sterilized properly, they will be a potential source of infection for subsequent patients.”False positives are also possible (more common in young women) and unnecessary procedures that follow from them have their own health risks.Bottom-line is that Pap smears are not a risk-free procedure. It's not a no-risk vs risk scenario, you need to weigh up both risks.
    Erm, most speculums used for smears in the UK are now single use plastic ones, which are disposed of after being used on one patient.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    What ****ing century do you live in? Do you really think medical equipment like that is reused?

(Original post by Shan_non)
      That's ridiculous! A smear test is for cervical cancer, whether you're sexually active or not there's still a risk. I'd make a complaint and see another nurse, it's an important thing to have done.
      99.9% of cervical cancer is related to HPV.

So its very relevant.

The only issue here is that you can catch HPV through sharing sex toys with other women so gay women are at risk just like straight

But if virgin proper...no risk. No need for smear.

ReputationRep:
      Oh do bore off with your scare tactics. Both times I watched the nurse take the brand new speculum out of the plastic.

I have been back, I have had the screen performed, everything was fine.

According to Eve's Trust, the other big risk factors are smoking, poor diet and compromised immune system. I have the last two and a history of passive smoking, which I realise doesn't make the risk huge, but I'm glad that I can say its done for the next three years.

If anyone else is having this issue, the nurse did recommend if it persists to get a referral to gynaecology or the colposcopy clinic where they have much more sophisticated equipment

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 11, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.