The Student Room Group

Go to Uni or go for a job?

Hey everyone.
Im a year 13 student studying Maths Physics and Geography. I havee applied for Civil Engineering and im thinking of putting UCL (if i get the offer) as my firm choice and City university(already got offer) as insured. My grades for AS for Maths Physics and Geog were BAA respectively.
I also applied for a 5 year training course to be a Quantity surveyor. I will be paid 15k at the start and increases yearly. I get a company car in the second year. By the fourth year i become an assistant quantity surveyor and earn maybe 22k-26k. I also do part time uni course during this time where the tuition fees are paid for by the company, However the courses i can choose are restricted and its unlikely i can ask for Civil Engineering. Also the university i go to will be nothing special. (anglia ruskin, UEL etc)

So to anyone currently working or have graduated etc, what path should i choose? The training course sounds good, but i would hate to go to a bad university because ive worked so hard to get the grades ive got. I also am interested in Maths and Physics. On the otherhand i can go to a great uni like ive always dreamed of but come out looking for jobs with student loans, with very little experience in work. Also quantity surveyors earn more than civil engineers on average.
I would like to know your opinion if you were in my position. Sorry for the long post XD
Original post by Suren1998
Hey everyone.
Im a year 13 student studying Maths Physics and Geography. I havee applied for Civil Engineering and im thinking of putting UCL (if i get the offer) as my firm choice and City university(already got offer) as insured. My grades for AS for Maths Physics and Geog were BAA respectively.
I also applied for a 5 year training course to be a Quantity surveyor. I will be paid 15k at the start and increases yearly. I get a company car in the second year. By the fourth year i become an assistant quantity surveyor and earn maybe 22k-26k. I also do part time uni course during this time where the tuition fees are paid for by the company, However the courses i can choose are restricted and its unlikely i can ask for Civil Engineering. Also the university i go to will be nothing special. (anglia ruskin, UEL etc)

So to anyone currently working or have graduated etc, what path should i choose? The training course sounds good, but i would hate to go to a bad university because ive worked so hard to get the grades ive got. I also am interested in Maths and Physics. On the otherhand i can go to a great uni like ive always dreamed of but come out looking for jobs with student loans, with very little experience in work. Also quantity surveyors earn more than civil engineers on average.
I would like to know your opinion if you were in my position. Sorry for the long post XD

Do you want to be a QS or an engineer?
Reply 2
Problem is i dont really know. I dont know a lot about QS at the moment, but it looks like something i can definitely do. I do really enjoy maths and the mechanics side of things which is suited to engineering. But my dillemma is whether its worth it to go do a course i like and struggle getting a job, or do a job im not that crazy about and get good pay and job security.
Reply 3
Problem is i dont really know. I dont know a lot about QS at the moment, but it looks like something i can definitely do. I do really enjoy maths and the mechanics side of things which is suited to engineering. But my dillemma is whether its worth it to go do a course i like and struggle getting a job, or do a job im not that crazy about and get good pay and job security.

Why would a civil engineering degree from UCL make you struggle to get a job?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Best of luck. Apparently not uni is The best choice And we don't have that in Northern Ireland So I hope you can take It And be better off thatway. Best of luck.
Reply 5
Original post by jneill
Why would a civil engineering degree from UCL make you struggle to get a job?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know having a degree from UCL is a good thing but also more and more people are getting degrees, and the thing making certain people stand out is with their work experience, which most students will not have as much compared to someone who didnt go uni. I know someone who graduated from LSE in Economics and was unemployed for over a year and i dont want that to happen to me. Im pretty sure an employer will take a person from a not so great uni with a 5 years of experience, rather than a Cambridge graduate who's only done a little amount of experience with the very little free time they have had. Dont get me wrong, im still in a dillemma and i would love to have the opportunity of studying in one of the best universities in the country.
I know having a degree from UCL is a good thing but also more and more people are getting degrees, and the thing making certain people stand out is with their work experience, which most students will not have as much compared to someone who didnt go uni. I know someone who graduated from LSE in Economics and was unemployed for over a year and i dont want that to happen to me. Im pretty sure an employer will take a person from a not so great uni with a 5 years of experience, rather than a Cambridge graduate who's only done a little amount of experience with the very little free time they have had. Dont get me wrong, im still in a dillemma and i would love to have the opportunity of studying in one of the best universities in the country.

Why do you think 'studying at one of the best universities in the world' is a better option than having almost no debt, experience, and a pretty much guranteed job?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone.

I'd be tempted to go for the job - RG is not important in engineering as their courses tend to be very theoretical.

At the moment I am finding that students who went to places like Brookes are getting employed straight from uni as they can show 'hands-on' as well as acadenic skills whereas those from RG can't.
Reply 8
Original post by Moonstruck16
Why do you think 'studying at one of the best universities in the world' is a better option than having almost no debt, experience, and a pretty much guranteed job?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand what you're saying and i do feel having no debt and good experience is better. The problem is is that i have worked so hard throughout my secondary school life to go to a good university, i achieved 5A* and 5A in GCSE and also got good AS grades. I sort of feel like it was all for nothing now that this job opportunity came along because they dont really care too much about your grades. If i go to a good uni it sort of justifies all my hard work.
I mean if you like Quantity Surveying then sure go for it. Engineering degree is too stressful, much of stuff you learn is very abstract and to actually do anything you have to self learn it. I suppose thats why theres graduate training. Theres too much content that it gets to the point where you hate the things you thought you'd like. And no offence I can imagine a civil engineering degree being quite boring. So if you can get in the industry and learn what you actually need to know for the job instead of revising for a pile of bs at 4am in the morning then go for it. Also not forgetting the fact that you wont owe anyone 30k.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by bigboateng_
I mean if you like Quantity Surveying then sure go for it. Engineering degree is too stressful, much of stuff you learn is very abstract and to actually do anything you have to self learn it. I suppose thats why theres graduate training. Theres too much content that it gets to the point where you hate the things you thought you'd like. And no offence I can imagine a civil engineering degree being quite boring. So if you can get in the industry and learn what you actually need to know for the job instead of revising for a pile of bs at 4am in the morning then go for it. Also not forgetting the fact that you wont owe anyone 30k.

Thanks for your reply, if definitely helped 👍
I understand what you're saying and i do feel having no debt and good experience is better. The problem is is that i have worked so hard throughout my secondary school life to go to a good university, i achieved 5A* and 5A in GCSE and also got good AS grades. I sort of feel like it was all for nothing now that this job opportunity came along because they dont really care too much about your grades. If i go to a good uni it sort of justifies all my hard work.

Time for you to learn now that your grades are meaningless. You did well and you should be very proud, but the whole school system is rigged. The system only cares about you passing your exams, not how much you can learn. I gurantee that once you finish A-levels you will realise that you have been spoonfed everything and have been learning to follow the specification.

You have the grades, well done. Plenty of people get the grades at A-level and do terribly at university because they realise there is no specification, everything is harder, and they don't want to be there, and come out with next to no job prospects. The choice is yours but please, please think about this. Your grades do not determine your value AT ALL. You have been offered a career and in that career people care about how good YOU are. Not how well you can regurgitate things.
It's possible to get enough work experience while doing a degree at UCL, summer internships, placements etc. But yes, they will be harder to get into, but as it is with these kinds of things, the rewards will be much more significant.

Not saying that in QS you won't excel - at the end of the day, if you're one of the best in what you do, you're gonna be earning money left right and centre so don't worry about the money issue. Also think longer term than just the student debt. Sure everyones' situations are different, but the debt issue will be countered by the fact that from a university with a degree you're likelier to earn higher than without a degree anyway.

All I'm saying that a degree from a well reputed university will give you more opportunities in life rather than taking a stab at QS and deciding that, that isn't for you.
Live life in the fast lane. :driver:

BOTH :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
You have the brains to go to University dude. At the moment the money is looking good to you because you're young and skint ... but once you graduate there are so many jobs out there for civil engineering - earning up to almost 30,000 a year and more.
My advice - go to university. You didn't do those A-levels for no reason, you didn't get those grades for no reason - you're obviously good at studying and getting your head down ... go to university.
More jobs in civil engineering too compared to QS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Definitely work out whether university or a job is going to benefit you the most. I feel like most people go to uni for the sake of going, and if I'm honest ... It pisses me off. I hate that people now assume that its a standard life choice and there really isn't any need to deliberate over whether you're going to go or not, and you just go. I know that a lot of people find that the more people that go to uni, the less value a degree has in this current world. So if you're already doing well in a job, I almost believe you're better than a uni student. Plus there are wayyy to many people going to uni these days.

Think which would work out better for you. Don't be like those people who go to a **** uni to take psychology and end up as a recruitment consultant :')
Reply 16
Hey man, i was in a similar predicament a couple weeks ago. I know its a tough choice because civil engineering is the more interesting of the two subjects, however you have to consider whether you'll be able to get a job once you finish the degree. Quantity surveying there is definitely a shortage of them, but im sure its for good reason, you have to either really enjoy it, or be willing to work for money and money alone. you say a company is looking to hire you as a qs and reward you well (pay, car, uni), It would be the obvious choice if you enjoyed both equally, but QSing just isnt as interesting as Civil engineering.
Ive decided to apply for all engineering courses as id really rather be in a job i somewhat enjoy than one id be bored in.
I know people say theres always a demand for civil engineers, but really what they mean is experienced engineers.
A company is looking to take you in now. it really is a gamble for your future, mate. Be a qs and have guaranteed job, no debt, and maybe enjoy itor maybe not. Study engineering, have debt, find a job.

Final thing i will say is: 5 years experience QSing will help you to become a project manager or chief engineer as you know all about the tendering, pricing and legal side of construction, so if you dont like the QSing you could then study engineering after and have a higher chance of success at that. Although if you can get into a top top (top top) university for engineering, then youd probably be set too.

its a tough choice man.
Reply 17
Making another post... dont worry about whether the uni you go to for QS is "good" or not, just make sure it is RICS accredited. The Supply of QS' is so low that i really doubt any QS firm will turn you down because of your uni (just make sure its RICS accredited.) I'd say call up some QS firms and ask them for advice on which route to take but at the end of the day its your decision. you've got a good reasoning mind, but for this one it might be easier to just flip a coin lol.

Quick Reply

Latest