Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Worried that I don't really have any experience in acting to consider drama school??? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was definitely a late passenger on the drama train -- I took my first acting lesson last year about two months before my sixteenth birthday. I attended those for about four months, but we never did a performance & the classes finished at age 16. I hoped to audition for the YTC in my city (Norwich), but my commitments with work just haven't allowed that n I just can't quit my job.

I'm now in sixth form and take Drama & Theatre Studies at AS Level; I'm predicted an A. I would absolutely LOVE to attend drama school, but fear I'd just be laughed off with little experience on my resume. I've read that they're interested more in potential and how you are as a person & whether you're open to change n criticism, but it surely can't be all down to that.

What do you think?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesssgreaves)
    I was definitely a late passenger on the drama train -- I took my first acting lesson last year about two months before my sixteenth birthday. I attended those for about four months, but we never did a performance & the classes finished at age 16. I hoped to audition for the YTC in my city (Norwich), but my commitments with work just haven't allowed that n I just can't quit my job.

I'm now in sixth form and take Drama & Theatre Studies at AS Level; I'm predicted an A. I would absolutely LOVE to attend drama school, but fear I'd just be laughed off with little experience on my resume. I've read that they're interested more in potential and how you are as a person & whether you're open to change n criticism, but it surely can't be all down to that.

What do you think?
    It would make sense to apply this year - but with realistic expectations about your chances of an offer. Getting some experience under your belt of auditions and how the application process works will only help you.

At the same time make some plans for a gap year where you can build up your experience. It might be worth looking at/applying for a foundation course for your gap year but these are competitive and expensive with no student loans available to cover your fees or living expenses (eg https://www.rada.ac.uk/courses/actin...g/fees-funding or https://www.bruford.ac.uk/courses/ac...dation-course/ or http://gsauk.org/courses/foundation/...usical-theatre )
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesssgreaves)

What do you think?

Hi James Greaves,

There is no lateness in life, we simply join various trains at different times and stages in our life. I would recommend you work on believing in yourself more, and with the amount of passion you have for drama there is no reason why you could not make it. No one at drama school will laugh at you either, and if they do, then it is not a great school. If it makes you feel any better, try working on your own experience- Set up a camera, make up a character and act to the camera. That way, you may not have official experience, but this shows that you have taken the initiative to develop your acting skills AND means that you have something to show people. Maybe make an acting showreel

Let me know if I can help in any other way.

Best Wishes

Chloe
    �\���0�e�`

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.