Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi TSR,

I'm a final year Sheffield student and have been offered an AFP place for 2017-2019 in Hull. I really like the list of jobs, the thing that's putting me off from committing is the fact I'd have to up sticks from Sheff and move to Hull, which is a bit of an unknown.

Just wanted to ask any junior doctors/medical students who have been at Hull their opinion on the city and hospitals e.g. if there's anything particularly good/bad about them!

Any advice would be great, in return if someone is looking to move to Sheff i'd be happy to give what advice I can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henrygee7)
    Hi TSR,

I'm a final year Sheffield student and have been offered an AFP place for 2017-2019 in Hull. I really like the list of jobs, the thing that's putting me off from committing is the fact I'd have to up sticks from Sheff and move to Hull, which is a bit of an unknown.

Just wanted to ask any junior doctors/medical students who have been at Hull their opinion on the city and hospitals e.g. if there's anything particularly good/bad about them!

Any advice would be great, in return if someone is looking to move to Sheff i'd be happy to give what advice I can.

Hi,

I am sorry I am not able to offer you any advice regarding Hull as I don't know much about the area/hospitals but I was wondering if you could offer any advice regarding Sheffield as I have been offered a place for AFP there but do not know much about the place or hospitals and don't know hat to expect. Any information would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-ray219)
    Hi,

I am sorry I am not able to offer you any advice regarding Hull as I don't know much about the area/hospitals but I was wondering if you could offer any advice regarding Sheffield as I have been offered a place for AFP there but do not know much about the place or hospitals and don't know hat to expect. Any information would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!
    Hey no worries, I'd be happy to share what I know about Sheff

I've been here for 6 years and before this AFP offer was hoping to spend the next 2 there as well - it's a really friendly city that doesn't really feel that big (e.g. compared to Manchester or Leeds). Its ideal if you're into the outdoors - the peaks are about a 20 minute drive from the west of the city.

In terms of hospitals - the two biggies are the royal hallamshire and northern general. The royal is a tower block of a hospital - it's a good location if you live in the more students areas (e.g. Crookes, Broomhill, Walkley as it's about a 15 minute walk.

The NGH is huge - I think it's the biggest hospital area in Europe apparently - so think lots of buildings spread out - this is in the north (surprisingly) of the city so a bit more out the way - you can either get the free H1 shuttle bus from the hallamshire (takes 30 mins) or driving takes about 20-30 minutes in the morning from those student areas.

Overall I think both hospitals are busy for junior doctors - although I know that hallamshire on calls are supposed to be fairly OK compared to other places. They both do hospital at night so your jobs are delegated to you over night by a co-ordinator instead of a series of endless bleeps! My f1 friends find it quite a good system I think. What jobs have you got for AFP?

ReputationRep:
    Hey that's really helpful, thank you

I may be wrong but I think someone from last year's AFP thread was offered a place for AFP in Hull and it might be worth having a look.

Good luck with your AFP!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.