Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I applied to Oxford for Computer Science not knowing that they only take around thirty computer scientists each year. Nor did I know the course statistics as being 8.5% successful.
    So I chose Oxford over Cambridge because Oxford as a city was my preference although Cambridge had its pluses.
    Anyways I applied to Oxford and took the MAT which I thought was horrendous but I got an interview. They interview 25% of applicants so I got into the last 25%. I then had 3 interviews at Oxford which I thought went from decent to terrible and to "I don't know anymore".
    I then got rejected in January which I expected because I discovered the course statistics and how few people get accepted to Oxford for CS.
    Cambridge on the other hand accepts round 18% of their applicants. Considering I got through to 25% at Oxford do you think I stand a decent chance at Cambridge?
    So I'm considering taking a gap year but the problem with this is that I hold some great offers at Imperial College, Bristol, Warwick and Durham. Do I fancy going to any of them? Probably not as much as I fancied going to Oxbridge.
    Do you think its worth taking a gap year to get the Cambridge experience of a degree?

ReputationRep:
    On another forum here, a Christs admissions tutor stated that the average successful Science candidate achieves higher than A*A*A* although he said that will change as more schools start limiting students to 3 A Levels.

Also Cambridge do use STEP as a final cull even for Comp Sci at times.

I myself am an undergrad Oxford reject. I went to Imperial and then to Cambridge for postgrad.

See what results you get and how you feel in August and perhaps apply for a gap year tech position (IBM, YINI, PWC) in the meantime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someboady)
    So I applied to Oxford for Computer Science not knowing that they only take around thirty computer scientists each year. Nor did I know the course statistics as being 8.5% successful.
    So I chose Oxford over Cambridge because Oxford as a city was my preference although Cambridge had its pluses.
    Anyways I applied to Oxford and took the MAT which I thought was horrendous but I got an interview. They interview 25% of applicants so I got into the last 25%. I then had 3 interviews at Oxford which I thought went from decent to terrible and to "I don't know anymore".
    I then got rejected in January which I expected because I discovered the course statistics and how few people get accepted to Oxford for CS.
    Cambridge on the other hand accepts round 18% of their applicants. Considering I got through to 25% at Oxford do you think I stand a decent chance at Cambridge?
    So I'm considering taking a gap year but the problem with this is that I hold some great offers at Imperial College, Bristol, Warwick and Durham. Do I fancy going to any of them? Probably not as much as I fancied going to Oxbridge.
    Do you think its worth taking a gap year to get the Cambridge experience of a degree?
    I offer oxbridge personal statement training and I managed to get 3 into oxford this year for maths, econ & management and comp sci so if you need any help then dont hesitate to reply or dm me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someboady)
    No point especially if you're doing it for the prestige/job prospects. Imperial Computing grads earn the most, you're in South Ken, the nicest place in London arguably, they offer up to 5k bursary for students whose households earn less than 60k and I can't name one person from Computing that I know of that doesn't have internships from (a) big tech firm/Goldman(s). There are SO many top tech firms who actively try to recruit from Imperial and the industrial placement is a bonus. DocSoc, the Computing Society, gets thousands of pounds of funding a year as well (the sponsor list is huge).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.