Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    HI Scott , I found this website called theallpapers and it has loads of papers going back to mad times like 2001, you might find it useful. 😄

ReputationRep:
    22/03/17

(Original post by Lula')
    HI Scott , I found this website called theallpapers and it has loads of papers going back to mad times like 2001, you might find it useful. 😄

Hi! Thank you! I may use some of the old, old physics and bio papers for a little bit of revision between now and April - ta! Already got Chemistry back to 2002, so covered on that front. Thanks for thinking of me - bookmarking it now, haha.

Decisions

I finally firmed Liverpool.

I did so with a heavy heart. The thing is, I loved almost all of the vet schools I visited. Glasgow will always be my love (sob), but RVC was particularly special to me because it was the first university - yet alone vet school - I ever visited. But in terms of what I can afford, quality of life, opportunities for living, I think Liv will be better for me. They're both fantastic schools, and I'm sure I would be happy at either of them (or any vet school, actually - I'll be happy just to qualify!).

Bristol I've kept as an insurance. I feel pretty bad because they've been so supportive and kept in touch, but I do want to be a little further from home and get out of the South West, if I have the option, and they are a lower grade offer, so it makes sense for them to be insurance. Honestly, I think I will end up going Bristol anyway, as I can't make Liv's offer of AAA and I'm 80% sure they won't accept me with AAB, regardless of how close to AA*A I might get, haha.

Just feels like ripping a plaster off, finally making that decision... :ashamed2:

Whistle while you work...

I feel like I've made a lot of progress in different areas the past week. I've got better at early nights, and after everything came to a head last week I've got to grips with my stress levels and feel a bit better.

I've lost 5lbs in weight since starting my diet and exercise routine properly a few weeks ago. At this rate I should be in tip top condition for exams and surgery, which is great. I'm really pleased! It's surprisingly given me some confidence for my exams; if I can manage to shift some stubborn blubber, I can definitely master science A-Level. :laugh:

Chemistry I'm managing to retain information. I finally got around to finishing off my flip-chart of six mark questions in Biology, so can start committing those to memory, along with the flash cards I've singled out for specific topics in Chemistry that need a little polishing.

It worked for learning synoptic essay topics last year; must be worth a shot with this, right?

And, lastly, I've printed off all the past papers I need for April and May, so all I need do now is cycle to the library with them, set the timer, and hype myself up into an exam stress frenzy that I can hopefully overcome by June.

Look at all those papers... :zomg:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Woo, glad to hear that you've reached a decision about where you want to go It is a tricky choice but it seems like you've put a lot of thought into it :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    Woo, glad to hear that you've reached a decision about where you want to go It is a tricky choice but it seems like you've put a lot of thought into it :yep:
    Ta! Have no idea how any of this could play out! But, fingers crossed...

(I'm constantly given PRSOM with you, ugh. )

ReputationRep:
    Another short update - 26/03/2017

So, I may well have chicken pox. :unimpressed: Partner's mother thought it could be shingles, but as I'm otherwise fit and healthy it's unlikely to be that. Going to see a doctor tomorrow, if possible. Hopefully they may be able to give me something topical to calm it down because at the moment its driving me to distraction, and I'd like to be able to get some work down without wanting to chew my own skin off, lol.

Just can't have a single week without any drama! :lol:Ahhhhh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scitty)
    Another short update - 26/03/2017

So, I may well have chicken pox. :unimpressed: Partner's mother thought it could be shingles, but as I'm otherwise fit and healthy it's unlikely to be that. Going to see a doctor tomorrow, if possible. Hopefully they may be able to give me something topical to calm it down because at the moment its driving me to distraction, and I'd like to be able to get some work down without wanting to chew my own skin off, lol.

Just can't have a single week without any drama! :lol:Ahhhhh.
    Oh my gosh I hope you're okay!! It's so annoying how these things happen at the most inconvenient times.
    Get well soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misstiah_h)
    Oh my gosh I hope you're okay!! It's so annoying how these things happen at the most inconvenient times.
    Get well soon
    Haha I'm okay, but thanks for the sentiment! I'm mostly just sleepy af and itchy (aka extra reasons to be a grumpy old man). Rather it struck now than June, though. :laugh: There's always something, right??

ReputationRep:
    29/03/17

Still not feeling 100%. It's not chickenpox, thank god, but I am on a course of antibiotics to fight off the infection and hopefully knock whatever it is on the head. Monday I was particularly lethargic with nausea and headaches, but feeling well enough today to actually sit down and do some solid work.

The countdown begins...

So it's just under 11 weeks before my first exam. It's crept up on me! I start "mocks" this Saturday, so will likely start updating on a regular weekly basis once that begins, covering my marks for that week, what's gone well, what I feel I need to revise the most during my "study break" at the end of April. I think having a week off between April and May will be good for reflection, and also ensure I don't run out of past papers too soon (as it is, going all the way back to 2002, I still finish every paper well in advance of exams at the end of June). I'm sooo glad I have enough time to do things this year. When I was at college we didn't finish the syllabus until a week before the exams; and while I did read ahead to make sure I was in the best possible place, it's not the same as actually having time to revise stuff that you haven't just been taught 3 days ago.

I never stood a chance last year, haha.

Between now and Saturday I plan on doing work booklets from Physics And Maths Tutor, predominantly:
    • 4.06-4.07 Aromatic Chemistry and Amines
    • 4.19-4.11 Organic Synthesis and Structure Determination
    • 5.2 Periodicity
    • 5.3 Redox Equilibria
    • 5.4 Transition Metal Redox Reactions and Catalysis

These are the areas I know I need to work on, and hopefully by doing those I should be in a good position for my scheduled past papers.

I have to go to Exeter for hospital next week so have shifted things around on that day as much as I can. There's also counselling on the 13th, and my friends want to go out some weekday for a birthday picnic up on the Hoe, so I may need to jiggle some things about in the schedule to fit everything in. April ended up being a busier month than anticipated. Totally not getting an eye twitch at my lovely plans being adjusted, or anything.

ReputationRep:
    01/04/17

Today's the first day of timed papers. I ended up not cycling to the library in the end as it was chucking it down. I really should go gym today, but I was so late getting started that I didn't want to risk being late home to cook dinner. Think from today I'm going to start being committed to the whole bed-before-11pm thing, and waking up at 8am. After all, I can't have lie ins for my actual exams!

Where do I stand?

So looking back at the goals and tasks I set myself for March...

• Reply to offers
    • Start making decisions on accommodation
    • Get a new passport
    • Print out past papers to complete in April, in order

1. Completely learn the aqueous ions in solution table.(CHEM)
    2. Get out of the house for at least half an hour every day (at recommendation of partner).
    3. Learn glycolysis and the link reaction off by heart.(BIO)
    4. Manage 2L of water every day (+more on gym days!)
    5. Manage to lift 50kg on arms at gym (currently ~40-45kg, depending on exercise).
    6. Finish every day in as good a mood as possible.
    7. Read for a minimum of 10 minutes before bed, every night. No phone after reading is finished.
    8. Learn the shapes and bond angles of molecules.(CHEM)

So, I got all of my tasks done, at least. As for goals... I feel like #6 was quite unfair on myself. March was a really rough month for me. The last week has been better, but the start and middle of March was hell. I'm proud of myself for pulling through, but damn was I in a dark place for a time there. That being said, I did try to refrain from moping after 10 o'clock.
    #7 I attempted, but often I was just too tired to read before bed than anything else! I've started listening to meditation music and/or rainforest sounds while going to sleep, and I've found that helps me get to sleep quicker - and stay asleep. Not quite the same, but at least I've sort of achieved it?
    For #1, I've kept up with the mnemonics. I know the colours off by heart for sure, it's just remembering whether they're a solution or solid that I need to brush up on. I feel like that's partly intuition, however, and I don't seem to get that wrong during practice.
    #2...didn't quite work out. I meant in the sense of taking little walks every day, and I really didn't do it. But, that will be taking effect now, as I'll be out at the library every day. It's something.

I guess I sort of tried, with the best intentions? :lol: Not sure if it's entirely worth setting goals for April, as I didn't once look back at them during March (which is probably why I forgot I was meant to learn the shapes of molecules etc). Just getting As on the past papers seems a valiant enough target for me.

Past Paper Progress

Spoiler:
    Show

PAPER TITLE
    TIME: ###
    MARKS: ##
    GRADE: #
    THOUGHTS: ###

I'll be using that set up from now on to track how I'm doing with each past paper. Just keeps things nice and orderly!

CHEM4 JUN 06
    Spoiler:
    Show

TIME: 31 mins to spare
    MARKS: 83/90
    GRADE: A
    THOUGHTS: I really liked this paper. I doubted myself on one question and in the end got it wrong (yes, Scott, you do always x2 with H2SO4 acid calculations, courtesy of there being 2H+ ions), and I was a bit shaky on the mechanism for reacting NaBH4 with a ketone, but more or less I'm very pleased with how it went. I definitely need to just brush up on my reagents to build my confidence.

G484 JAN 10
    Spoiler:
    Show

TIME: 7 mins to spare
    MARKS: 45/60
    THOUGHTS: This paper didn't feel so bad, but after marking I definitely made some ridiculous mistakes that ended up wiping the floor with my paper. Centripetal force it would do no harm to go over again, or just forces in general really. But a lot of the lost marks were down to not reading the question properly (having a division the wrong way around, forgetting to convert units, etc). I felt like I was more rushed with this paper as well. Yes, I finished with time to spare, but I was constantly checking my clock and freaking when I saw ten minutes had passed since I last looked. :laugh: This question in particular was a MESS:

It makes sense to me now, to calculate velocities. No idea why that didn't occur to me at the time. Especially when it was obviously 5 marks. :confused: Oh well...?

• TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Nice marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Nice marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Which uni are you considering to take now?
    what thread can i post on to get chemistry help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xhxhxh)
    what thread can i post on to get chemistry help
    There isn't necessarily a specific thread, but if you make a post in this forum here: LINK

normally someone will be along to help you out. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    04/04/17

Started cycling to the library this week. A great plan, in theory, if only my bike wasn't such a mess. Just about every part of it needs replacing. I've oiled, adjusted, etc etc but the damn thing still drags and squeaks, the brakes are dodgy. Add to the fact I committed the ultimate sin and didn't wear a helmet (shh, I wasn't on any main roads, only going through cul-de-sacs and parks) and I'm surprised I've made it back in one peace, haha. Absolutely shattered today, though.

Trying to clear Thursday's papers over the next few days so that I can have the day off, just in case I get delayed at the hospital clinic, or my mum or partner decide they want to come with and we end up somehow finding ourselves gallivanting through shops (with my drooling over all the sugar I can't eat. sob).

I now have to go cook dinner, but honestly am so knackered I think I'll just have some cheese, cold meat, and a bowl of porridge.

OH -- and I think I will update daily rather than weekly. Too much to write up in one go if I do it weekly. We'll see how it goes. Doesn't feel like there's enough hours in the day at the moment. :yawn:

Past Paper Progress

CHEM4 JUN 07
    Spoiler:
    Show

TIME: 32 mins to spare
    MARKS: 72/90
    THOUGHTS:Technically out of 86 as there were some questions I couldn't answer (partial pressure stuff) - which I have since gone over so that I can answer them in future papers. There were at least 4 marks I lost because I apparently either started the question then never finished it, or apparently never read it in the first place. Overall not a bad paper.

CHEM5 JUN 10
    Spoiler:
    Show

TIME: 30 mins to spare
    MARKS: 76/100
    THOUGHTS:This was the last paper I did of the day. At this point two loud middle aged women had moved into the quiet study area and wouldn't shut up. Was pretty distracting. Not an excuse for dropping marks by any means, but it was certainly distracting. Completely misread some questions, which is frustrating, as it cost me an A*.

The pain....especially as I knew the answer to the question. No idea why I answered the second question in the 1st's answer place.

More frustration: crossing out correct answers. A hobby of mine.

Stupid mistakes, and some gaps in knowledge. If I remember to redo the paper when I'm done in the actual exam, I should be able to catch these silly little things.

CHEM4 JUN 08
    Spoiler:
    Show

TIME: 41 mins to spare
    MARKS: 82/90
    THOUGHTS: Really pleased with the marks on this paper! Some silly mistakes and omissions (plus not checking answers) cost me the remaining few marks, but honestly over 90% raw marks on a paper is nothing I'm going to turn my nose up at. If I can just get marks like that in the actual thing, I'll be doing swimmingly.

Just need to not make screw ups like this, ha.

CHEM5 JUN 08
    Spoiler:
    Show

TIME: 25 mins to spare
    MARKS: 89/120
    THOUGHTS: Ha. Well. It's an A, but I'm not happy with it. I messed up quite a lot of stuff. For a start, my calculator was apparently throwing out completely wrong figures - wasn't a case of wrong equations or what not. Methods checked out, but figures at the end were just a mess.

But overall, not a bad paper. By the time I got around to doing it I was quite tired, so after finishing here I packed up and cycled on home. Call it quits before you push too far, eh?

BIOL4 JAN 10
    Spoiler:
    Show

TIME: 28 mins to spare
    MARKS: 67/75
    GRADE: A* (FULL UMS)
    THOUGHTS: The few marks I did drop were on omissions of specific phrases/points (things that seemed obvious and implied to me, but the mark scheme quite fairly dictated that they had to be stated). Very pleased with this! Considering I only need a C on this paper this year to get an A over all, I can't really complain about max UMS.

G484 JAN 11
    Spoiler:
    Show

TIME: 5 mins to spare
    MARKS: 49/60
    GRADE: A*
    THOUGHTS: This paper felt particularly pedantic and just full of really dodgy questions where it was unclear what was wanted, answers being far too specific etc. Didn't like it at all, haha. I really do need to work on getting quicker at these papers. Having 5 minutes left at the end to go through and check everything isn't ideal, especially when sometimes I can make monumental mistakes on calculations. My sig figs were also all over the place in this, so that's definitely something I need to work on.

Another case of wonky calculator. Probably would have helped had I written down the figures I was using, but my method checked out as fine, yet still ended up being so far off the correct value. UGH.

Sassing myself is the only way to learn. Trust me.

ReputationRep:
    07/04/17

So. I didn't update on Wednesday due to my step dad's mother ringing to say that his father was having another stroke. We went over to help and told her to dial 999 in the meantime, which she struggled to do by herself. Fortunately the neighbours helped them until we got there. By the time we arrived the paramedics were out; this is the third TIA he's had in as many weeks, so they admitted him into the ED and ran checks on him. After many scans, it turns out he has haemorrhaging on both sides of his brain, as well as swelling on the left side. That's bad enough, but it's impacted on his already underlying illnesses and reduced his kidney function to 11%. He doesn't want any treatment so at this point, it's a case of making him as comfortable as possible.

Just feels like every time exam season rolls around, it kills off another family member. All coincidence, I'm sure, but it doesn't half feel like I have bad luck following me around all the time, and it's difficult for my brain to not (unhelpfully) put out there that all bad things happen because of my :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: ups. Thank you, mental illness.

Went to the hospital yesterday and spoke to therapist; got her to sign some paperwork for my new passport, then dragged partner to Trago Mills to have a browse. It was a good day, really. Made a pleasant change from the routine. Stayed the night and is going home this evening, so lo and behold little work got done. I did, at least, manage to finish marking my papers.

Past Paper Progress

CHEM4 JUN 09
    Spoiler:
    Show

TIME: 37 mins to spare
    MARKS: 77/90
    THOUGHTS: I found it quite a nice paper, actually. I made an attempt to do partial pressure stuff and fluffed some of it up, but otherwise the only mistakes were simple RTFQs and an absence of common sense. lol

CHEM5 JUN 09
    Spoiler:
    Show

TIME: 50 mins to spare
    MARKS: 81/120
    THOUGHTS: This was not a nice paper at all, which was apparently an agreed upon thing at the time, due to the grade boundaries being so damn low. It was my getting full marks on half the questions that pulled my grade up; I either completely aced a section, or completely messed it up. :laugh: I am, however, pleased with the electrochemical cell question in this paper, as I managed to (somehow) get the answers correct bar the conventional cell representation. Feels like winning when I manage to crack any question based on that.

I definitely need to revise distinguishing between compounds via test tube reactions. Particularly for Group 2/Period 3 elements. I dropped a whopping 6 marks thanks to that gap in my knowledge; but at least I know for the future that I need to brush up on it. Same goes for catalysts. It's been so long since I did cracking etc at AS that a question about it threw me and I panicked and put the wrong thing. Also need to revise Period 3 chlorides, as I dropped pretty much all the marks on section B's question 6 in this paper.

Where did all this forgotten syllabus content come from?

BIOL4 JAN 11
    Spoiler:
    Show

TIME: 25 mins to spare
    MARKS: 63/75
    THOUGHTS: Actually didn't like this paper much. 1 (b)(ii) was a mess that I just blanked on (okay - just 1 mark, but annoying still), lots of awkward graphs everywhere, and I kept leaving out key points which - as I stated in an earlier point - I don't put because my brain assumes it's a given. All the same, it came out to full UMS (and well into the boundary for max, at that) so I'm not too concerned by such a performance. I did well on the 6 markers, and that's really all I worry about at this stage, as those are the makers and breakers of grades. (Unless it's June 2016's paper, in which case it's forgetting to change a decimal to a percentage. Ugh.)

ReputationRep:
    08/04/17

Had quite a nice day today! Weather was glorious, which made the 7.30 start a little less painful. :lol: Cycled to library, did the two papers from yesterday's schedule (didn't get any work done Friday, courtesy of shopping for rugs with the partner - very constructive use of time!) then enjoyed lunch out on the green before finishing up the third paper and trundling home. Skimped on gym because honestly, cycling uphill at peak temperature was tiring enough, and the neighbour trapped me in an hour long conversation on the driveway. Can't say I'm too sorry.

Potentially riding tomorrow, but can't get hold of farm, so not sure what's going on. If I'm not, I think I'll sit up on the moors and read for a while. Would be nice to take some time out to slow down, rather than being constantly on the go.

Grandfather is looking better now, apparently. He says hospital food portions are not nearly a big enough, so his voracious appetite has returned at least, haha.

Past Paper Progress

CHEM4 JUN 10
    Spoiler:
    Show

TIME: 45 mins to spare
    MARKS: 81/100
    THOUGHTS: I'm gutted - 2 marks off an A*! Hit the 105 UMS I've been aiming for with each paper, however, which is great. I lost some marks on silly little mistakes like these crackers:

Nothing like misunderstanding the question! (Also; ignore my grammar.)

Sloppy nomenclature...

Ughhhhhh.

Okay, but how did I miss these glaring things?

Overall, not a bad paper. I got full marks on several questions which was probably what saved my butt from the aforementioned **** ups, but just wish I had spent 5 or so minutes going back through my answers and double checking formulas, nomenclature etc. It wasn't as if I'd run out of time or anything. :unimpressed: Slow down, boy.

Also: need to go over conversion of vegetable oils into biodiesels etc. I can never remember the alcohol product. Brushing up on mass spec would not go amiss, either.

G484 JAN 13
    Spoiler:
    Show

MARKS: 52/60
    THOUGHTS: Nothing too difficult in this paper. I messed up rearranging a formula which lead to many, many ECFs, but otherwise did okay. If anything is to be taken home from this one, it would be that I need to brush up on my thermal physics. Still not happy with how pushed for time I am during physics papers, however. It doesn't leave me much time to check my work, or allow for anything like a mind-blank/water break/hand cramp etc.

BIOL4 JAN 12
    Spoiler:
    Show

TIME: 29 mins to spare
    MARKS: 62/75
    THOUGHTS: Nice little paper. Some of the questions were difficult to answer insofar as the way they were worded was a bit odd. I definitely need to revise energy transfer in ecosystems and ATP advantages. I didn't drop many marks on questions around those topics, but I wasn't as confident in my answers as I would have liked to have been. As always, I dropped the majority of my marks on omission of the obvious. I really need to get into the habit of treating examiners as idiots and explaining my reasoning and thoughts in full, rather than just relying on assumption of implied knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    08/04/17

Had quite a nice day today! Weather was glorious, which made the 7.30 start a little less painful. :lol: Cycled to library, did the two papers from yesterday's schedule (didn't get any work done Friday, courtesy of shopping for rugs with the partner - very constructive use of time!) then enjoyed lunch out on the green before finishing up the third paper and trundling home. Skimped on gym because honestly, cycling uphill at peak temperature was tiring enough, and the neighbour trapped me in an hour long conversation on the driveway. Can't say I'm too sorry.

Potentially riding tomorrow, but can't get hold of farm, so not sure what's going on. If I'm not, I think I'll sit up on the moors and read for a while. Would be nice to take some time out to slow down, rather than being constantly on the go.

Grandfather is looking better now, apparently. He says hospital food portions are not nearly a big enough, so his voracious appetite has returned at least, haha.

Past Paper Progress

CHEM4 JUN 10
    Spoiler:
    Show

TIME: 45 mins to spare
    MARKS: 81/100
    THOUGHTS: I'm gutted - 2 marks off an A*! Hit the 105 UMS I've been aiming for with each paper, however, which is great. I lost some marks on silly little mistakes like these crackers:

Nothing like misunderstanding the question! (Also; ignore my grammar.)

Sloppy nomenclature...

Ughhhhhh.

Okay, but how did I miss these glaring things?

Overall, not a bad paper. I got full marks on several questions which was probably what saved my butt from the aforementioned **** ups, but just wish I had spent 5 or so minutes going back through my answers and double checking formulas, nomenclature etc. It wasn't as if I'd run out of time or anything. :unimpressed: Slow down, boy.

Also: need to go over conversion of vegetable oils into biodiesels etc. I can never remember the alcohol product. Brushing up on mass spec would not go amiss, either.

G484 JAN 13
    Spoiler:
    Show

MARKS: 52/60
    THOUGHTS: Nothing too difficult in this paper. I messed up rearranging a formula which lead to many, many ECFs, but otherwise did okay. If anything is to be taken home from this one, it would be that I need to brush up on my thermal physics. Still not happy with how pushed for time I am during physics papers, however. It doesn't leave me much time to check my work, or allow for anything like a mind-blank/water break/hand cramp etc.

BIOL4 JAN 12
    Spoiler:
    Show

TIME: 29 mins to spare
    MARKS: 62/75
    THOUGHTS: Nice little paper. Some of the questions were difficult to answer insofar as the way they were worded was a bit odd. I definitely need to revise energy transfer in ecosystemsand ATP advantages. I didn't drop many marks on questions around those topics, but I wasn't as confident in my answers as I would have liked to have been. As always, I dropped the majority of my marks on omission of the obvious. I really need to get into the habit of treating examiners as idiots and explaining my reasoning and thoughts in full, rather than just relying on assumption of implied knowledge.

Wow love the post. Great progress I second what you said about the weather today.. definitely makes you feel more positive & productive I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misstiah_h)
    Wow love the post. Great progress I second what you said about the weather today.. definitely makes you feel more positive & productive I think
    Cheers! Yeah, definitely. Just so long as the sun carries into summer hols!

ReputationRep:
    10/04/17

So dopey me completely forgot that libraries are shut Good Friday and Easter Monday, so I've lost two days of scheduled papers. I'll have to try and squeeze them in Thursday and Saturday (if the place is open Saturday, that is). Meant to be meeting up with mates tomorrow, but honestly not entirely sure I want to go. I know it's socialising, and socialising is good, but even the prospect of saying best friend and boyfriend again has got me going "meh" at best. I really don't like having to move revision time around for things that aren't good reasons, but if I don't go I won't here the end of it, and I know it'll be good for me. Just means I have to get up extra early tomorrow to be working from the time the library opens til midday when I'll have to cycle home.

Still - had a nice day on the moors sketching and reading yesterday, and then finished the weekend off with a family BBQ. Was cracking weather for it! Hope it holds up, because if partner does end up staying overnight any time, it would be nice to do up a flask of tea and mosey on up to somewhere on Dartmoor to watch the stars. :moon: How sappy, haha.

Past Paper Progress

CHEM4 JUN 06
    Spoiler:
    Show

TIME: 42 mins to spare
    MARKS: 72/100
    GRADE:A
    THOUGHTS:I will admit to being very tired by the time I got around to this. I woke up early to go gym, and then tuckered myself out riding to library, and honestly it's so warm in the study area that the temptation to curl up and sleep is ridiculous. Kind of gutted to have missed out on an A* with this one, especially as the mistakes I made were stupid, stupid, stupid. :unimpressed: I kept going back and changing the correct answers (oh, hi, real exam me), and fluffs up on definitions, RTFQs, omitting units etc cost me an easy 10+ marks that would have pushed me well into the A* boundary (and definitely scored me that target 105 UMS). So...not best pleased with myself. Take home from this is: use the 45 mins to check, be confident in my first answer, and when the question says 1 mole/ionic IT MEANS IT.

Definitely need to revise acid/alkaline properties of Period 3 elements, especially as aluminium oxide's reaction with NaOH always trips me up (I think I put a different product every time I answer it ). Going overreducing agents for electrochemical cells wouldn't go amiss either; still not confident on the theory. And 100% need to learn the relationship between solution, hydration, and lattice enthalpies. Cause at the moment, I'm just guessing. Heh.

CHEM4 JUN 11
    Spoiler:
    Show

TIME: 52 mins to spare
    MARKS: 86/90
    GRADE: A*!!!! :party:
    THOUGHTS:In the bag! Really enjoyed this paper; lots of easy calculations that banked a lot of marks. Lost most of my points on RTFQs and silly nomenclature mistakes. Think I will add spectrometry and nomenclature to my "to re-visit" list, just to cover myself. Especially need to get it into my head that H on OH groups is not a neighbouring hydrogen to a methyl group attached to the same carbon. Another thing that trapped me up was some basic definitions, so time to bring on the flash cards again, I think.

ReputationRep:
    Quick update - 15/04/17

Have been a little under the weather this week. Very tired, had several arguments with my family, and just in general not feeling great. Papers have been going okay - and only okay. A mixture of A*s, As, and Bs. Glad I have a break between now and May where I don't have mocks scheduled, because I think I've overdone it a bit and just exhausted myself (shown by my inability to do 4+1 in a fecking A Level exam ohmygodScott).

Long story short: not doing past papers for a bit. Need time to recuperate, still a little ill, probably need to avoid family for a bit because we're just fighting 24/7, will update in detail later. TTFN. :sleep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.