Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

S1 probability distribution help please! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Repeated independent trials of a certain experiment are carried out. On each trial the probability of success is 0.12

(i) Find the smallest value of n such that the probability of at least one success in n trials is more than 0.95

N = 24 is the answer

I don't understand how to work it out. (It's from OCR June 2009, just if you're wondering).

Please could you help me.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasminea)
    Repeated independent trials of a certain experiment are carried out. On each trial the probability of success is 0.12

(i) Find the smallest value of n such that the probability of at least one success in n trials is more than 0.95

N = 24 is the answer

I don't understand how to work it out. (It's from OCR June 2009, just if you're wondering).

Please could you help me.
    Think of it this way, in n trials,what is the probably of having 0 successes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Think of it this way, in n trials,what is the probably of having 0 successes?
    Well, I thought you could say 1 - P(X=0) > 0.95 or something like that but I'm confused with what P(X=0) because I would assume it's 0.88 as it fails on the first go or do you use the geometric distribution equation?

But then there's no n included and if you use the equation, I thought you'd say 0.12(1 - 0.12)^n-1
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Well, I thought you could say 1 - P(X=0) > 0.95 or something like that but I'm confused with what P(X=0) because I would assume it's 0.88 as it fails on the first go or do you use the geometric distribution equation?
    Geometric distribution doesn't need to come into it, remember that one or more successes in n trials is the complement of no successes in n trials.

And yes you are correct, P(X=0) is 0.88.. so you just need to use this in your question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Geometric distribution doesn't need to come into it, remember that one or more successes in n trials is the complement of no successes in n trials.

And yes you are correct, P(X=0) is 0.88.. so you just need to use this in your question
    Sorry but what do you mean by the complement. I know you have to solve an equation but what? I don't understand

ReputationRep:
    Actually, don't worry, I get it now.

Thanks for the help
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but what do you mean by the complement. I know you have to solve an equation but what? I don't understand

Sorry, I think complement is the wrong word to use.. but the word escapes me.

For example, if I had a rock paper scissors game where the probabliity of winning, losing or derawing was each 1/3... and I asked you what's the probability of you either losing or drawing 8 games out of 10... the (insert word here) other way of calculating it is finding the probability of winning 2 games out of 10, if that makes sense.. and you can apply something similar here (but using 1 - .... ) to find the probability requested.

Or another example, probability of flipping 5 heads out of 6 is the same as flipping 1 tails out of 6.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Well, I thought you could say 1 - P(X=0) > 0.95 or something like that
    Very good!

If you then take 1 from both sides you'll end up with an identity. You'll want to get rid of - P(x = 0) and you can do that by multiplying by -1, recalling what happens to the < or > sign in an equality when you do so.

To make further progress, what kind of distribution are we working with here? If you try the most obvious one, you should be able to set up an equation that is solveable. HINT we have a fixed number of trials (that's n) and a constant probability of success. What dstribution fits these criteria?

PS you are also right that p = 0.88 comes into it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.