Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I'm in my third year of nursing. I've found a speciality I really enjoy which is neonates and have a job lined up ready. But there's a part of me that's worried, I can't cope with the shifts and the nights and long days, I know this is work but I feel ill more than I feel good. I just don't know if I am as happy as I should be. I've read into other options and have found a masters which will train me as a primary school teacher, I can really imagine myself doing this, as I love children and it would allow me to be more creative and less tired! It only takes a year, and is funded. I just don't know what to do, neonatal nursing is the only nursing I like, I'm adult trained I hate all adult wards I just don't enjoy it. Neonates has been a lovely experience but it's still the long hours and night shifts, I don't want my whole life to be taken over by work, and I think that maybe I'd be more happy as a primary teacher, I love to write, and this would also give me time to do this, and I want to travel with my job, I just don't know what to do anymore

If I don't start nursing straight away can I return after a few years if decide i would like to do it after all. I'm only 20, so I'm very early in my life, I might always change my mind!

Thank you for your time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poppymay96xox)
    Okay, so I'm in my third year of nursing. I've found a speciality I really enjoy which is neonates and have a job lined up ready. But there's a part of me that's worried, I can't cope with the shifts and the nights and long days, I know this is work but I feel ill more than I feel good. I just don't know if I am as happy as I should be. I've read into other options and have found a masters which will train me as a primary school teacher, I can really imagine myself doing this, as I love children and it would allow me to be more creative and less tired! It only takes a year, and is funded. I just don't know what to do, neonatal nursing is the only nursing I like, I'm adult trained I hate all adult wards I just don't enjoy it. Neonates has been a lovely experience but it's still the long hours and night shifts, I don't want my whole life to be taken over by work, and I think that maybe I'd be more happy as a primary teacher, I love to write, and this would also give me time to do this, and I want to travel with my job, I just don't know what to do anymore

If I don't start nursing straight away can I return after a few years if decide i would like to do it after all. I'm only 20, so I'm very early in my life, I might always change my mind!

Thank you for your time
    Get a job on a daycare ward at a hospital, mon-Friday day shift job
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

Thank you for your time
    I really don't think teaching is going to be any more restful. In fact I think it's the opposite. My friend is regularly in for 7 to get ready for the day, leaves at 5 or 6 and then regularly works late into the evening (and at weekends) doing marking. The good thing about nursing is that you can do you shift and go home and that's it.

I would recommend you get at least six months under your belt. Being qualified is very different to being a student and I found I enjoyed it much more than when I was a student. As you've said, you've found an area you enjoy, which is great. Give it a proper go and see if you still feel the same later on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    if you quit nursing just after training you have very little chance of getting onto a return to work course. it would seem to be a waste of your time and the lost of a lot of money and time in training you. find a post that you can do look around. just dont quit.

ReputationRep:
    Like others have said, it'll be hard to do a return to nursing after barely getting any post qualification experience.
    Teaching can be just as intense with just as many hours.
    Yes it's only a year training, but that year is very intense. You'll be up all hours lesson planning and justifying why you're choosing to teach a topic the way you are.
    Then once you start teaching you'll be working 8-5pm if not longer depending on work needing to be marked, lesson planning, classroom decorating etc etc etc.
    Then your weekends will be spent marking work, more lesson planning, paperwork to show that you're meeting the national curriculum etc too.
    There is a lot involved in teaching rather than just spending time with children.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Thank you for your time
    You sound unsure wether you really want to be a nurse? You probably realised this in year 1 or 2 but have been convinced to stick it out or you felt it was a worth while qualification to achieve. I think you did the right thing as it opens many doors, right now Nursing is very tough, NHS hospitals are posting crisis alerts like never before.

Honestly speaking, if you don't get yourself at least 1 year of post grad experience you might find it difficult to get back into nursing. I did say might? In the future, if the health service changes, universities would probably accept you as they are aware of the atmosphere out there. Did you know within 2 years 30% or more of newly qualified nurses are no longer nursing. I watched many I qualified with go into completely different jobs after hating the ever increasing pressure and burden of working as a nurse.

Therefore you have to really love it, to do it. People mean this when they say it, if you don't love it with a passion you'll find it difficult to make the sacrifices necessary and that appears to be the case with yourself.

You have one life, live it happily, if nursing isn't for you that's fine! Honestly, I know some which are depressed and on anti-depressants because they can't leave, due to feeling they have wasted their time. But are crying several times a week, on the phone to me finding it really tough because everybody's is stressed to their eye balls and taking that out on each other on the wards.

Happiness is essential, even if it's not a huge amount some is needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speed1987)
    You sound unsure wether you really want to be a nurse? You probably realised this in year 1 or 2 but have been convinced to stick it out or you felt it was a worth while qualification to achieve. I think you did the right thing as it opens many doors, right now Nursing is very tough, NHS hospitals are posting crisis alerts like never before.

Honestly speaking, if you don't get yourself at least 1 year of post grad experience you might find it difficult to get back into nursing. I did say might? In the future, if the health service changes, universities would probably accept you as they are aware of the atmosphere out there. Did you know within 2 years 30% or more of newly qualified nurses are no longer nursing. I watched many I qualified with go into completely different jobs after hating the ever increasing pressure and burden of working as a nurse.

Therefore you have to really love it, to do it. People mean this when they say it, if you don't love it with a passion you'll find it difficult to make the sacrifices necessary and that appears to be the case with yourself.

You have one life, live it happily, if nursing isn't for you that's fine! Honestly, I know some which are depressed and on anti-depressants because they can't leave, due to feeling they have wasted their time. But are crying several times a week, on the phone to me finding it really tough because everybody's is stressed to their eye balls and taking that out on each other on the wards.

Happiness is essential, even if it's not a huge amount some is needed.

Such a kind-hearted and informative response! Couldn't conclude the profession in any other way.

ReputationRep:

Thank you for your time
    Hi there,

I don't wish to be dooms either but my best friend is a teacher and it is very hard and very tiring. There is a lot of pressure from ofsted and this results in long hours devoted to marking, lesson planning. Kids can be very naughty and aggro from parents!
    My friend is very intelligent, fit and healthy with no children of her own and it still takes its toll. That said she does love it and wouldn't change it. It could be something you are good at and you may love it also but I'm just trying to basically say don't underestimate it.

Do you think you've gave Nursing long enough to make a decision to walk away completely. Have you considered working part time, in a doctor's surgery, school nurse etc. If it's predominantly the hours that bug you the most?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would agree with the other posters, going from nursing into teaching is very much frying pan to fire! Teachers have had incredible pressure added to their roles, with targets higher than ever. There's a reason these courses have been funded (of course, before the bursary was removed) - because at the end of your time at uni it's a lot of hard work and stress!

It sounds more like you're not cut out for shift work. Think about it this way, if you could do the job of a nurse in the times that worked for you, would you? If so, it's not so much nursing as a job that's the issue, it's lifestyle/working hours that are.

My advice? If you can stick it out, do so for a year, then see what other roles would be better suited. That way, you'll gain valuable experience and a brilliant start to your CV which will open more doors in the long run.

Like has been said, it's likely if you leave nursing before you've even started you might not get the chance to ever return. I wish you all the best!

ReputationRep:
    I would say if you hate the shifts,neonatal nursing is the only clinical placement you've enjoyed and you're thinking of doing something else then do it. Nursing requires passion and committment.You have to enjoy it. There is a heck of a lot of stress, both physical and mental and the shifts can play havoc with your mental and physical health as well as reducing your life expectancy by up to 10 years.
    As you know,many places do 4-5 week rotation from day to night shift and 12.5 hr shifts. If you decide one day you want a family it's even harder. I disagree that teaching is just as bad and I'm amazed that people can compare Neonatal Intensive care nursing with teaching. The big differences are as a teacher the contracted working week is about 30 hours including breaks, they're not dealing with life and death situations, supporting distraught families, working shifts (let alone 12.5 hrs at a time), there's no scheduled weekend work and school holidays off, so no child care worries. There aren't that many part time jobs available in nursing and top salary for a clinical ward nurse is £28k after 7 years. 70% of nurses in the NHS are working on this lowest pay band.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.