Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm stuck on my a-level options Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I want to pick 3 subjects, and I think I'd like to do geography and history. I'm predicted all A/A* except physics which is a B. I was thinking for my third subject either psychology, sociology or philosophy, but I'm really stuck on which one to pick.

ReputationRep:
    i'd suggest you read up about the courses to see their content and how they're examined etc. to see which one you most like the look of

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyLouise0504)
    Hello, I want to pick 3 subjects, and I think I'd like to do geography and history. I'm predicted all A/A* except physics which is a B. I was thinking for my third subject either psychology, sociology or philosophy, but I'm really stuck on which one to pick.
    Have you got any idea of what you might like to do after A Levels, e.g. a degree subject? If not, I'd recommend picking whichever one you think you would enjoy most and/or get the best grade in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    Have you got any idea of what you might like to do after A Levels, e.g. a degree subject? If not, I'd recommend picking whichever one you think you would enjoy most and/or get the best grade in
    I don't really know what I want to do at uni, I change my mind all the time really. I've been thinking maybe geography but that's likely to change again.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know what I want to do at uni, I change my mind all the time really. I've been thinking maybe geography but that's likely to change again.
    That's fine, History and Geography are both strong, flexible subjects which are relevant to many degrees. Like jasminglynne says, read up on each subject, the content, assessment methods etc, and see which appeals to you most

ReputationRep:
    I do both Psychology and Sociology (both on AQA) if you have any Qs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princesshan)
    I do both Psychology and Sociology (both on AQA) if you have any Qs
    Is there one which you personally prefer? And what are the differences between them?

ReputationRep:
    Is there one which you personally prefer? And what are the differences between them?
    I love sociology because I find it really interesting but also I have a great teacher and class which makes it much more interesting and enjoyable.

We've just finished a big topic on the Family, including things like domestic violence, family diversity etc, and just started Education, which I find the more interesting of the two. Next year we do crime and I think religion?

For exams you have a couple of 2 mark questions, a 6 marker, a 10 marker and a 20 marker, and the grade boundaries we've used in my sixth form have been quite good, about 70% for an A.

I love psychology too though I find the biology parts of it a bit trickier (science isn't my favourite) and not the most interesting but the rest of it I find super interesting.

So far we've done research methods, approaches (ie cognitive, biological), and conformity (obedience, authority figures), and we're also going on to do memory and psychopathology (depression, OCD, phobias)

For exams you get a mix of questions including 12 markers on an experiment/approach; 6 marks for info on it and 6 for evaluating it

Psychology is more scientific than sociology and there's a little bit more structure to the essays, ie you write your Ao1 then your Ao3, whereas in sociology it's all about comparing different sociologists views on a topic, but if you know how to structure your essay well you can easily pick up loads of marks.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    That's fine, History and Geography are both strong, flexible subjects which are relevant to many degrees. Like jasminglynne says, read up on each subject, the content, assessment methods etc, and see which appeals to you most
    I agree.
    Sociology is a good subject to pick.
    Or maybe something like maths or english literature.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.