Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrea.)
    Is anyone filing motivational appeal considering their negative response?
    I will be if the response is negative once they've cleared up whether I actually hold an offer or not. They would reject me based on no maths a level despite the maths in the course being limited and me doing maths based subjects such as Economics anyway.

I also based everything off of having an offer and so booked accommodation etc only to later realise they had also sent a letter of rejection. Very confusing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by owad)
    I will be if the response is negative once they've cleared up whether I actually hold an offer or not. They would reject me based on no maths a level despite the maths in the course being limited and me doing maths based subjects such as Economics anyway.

I also based everything off of having an offer and so booked accommodation etc only to later realise they had also sent a letter of rejection. Very confusing!
    I'm going for it. They rejected me because everything's good enought but my motivational statement didn't sound convincing enough to them. I worked my ass off to get there it was my dream just so I could be told I'm not motivated enough. I don't know how much chances does it give, what it's supposed to look like and the procedure looks really serious :/

ReputationRep:
    I got rejected in one my applications (research masters social sciences) due to my personal statement as well, but I don't think those are grounds for an appeal...I'd imagine an appeal is for cases where you think you were wrongly (objectively, not just in your eyes) evaluated. Ultimately they are justified in thinking your or mine personal statement are not good enough, and not because they don't find you 'motivated' - as you recall the statement had to indicate your research interests as well as some examples of questions you'd like to research, so maybe they didn't find those compatible with the course.

Arguing, as it is the other user's case, that they wrongly judged one of your qualifications is more of a solid case I'd think.

ReputationRep:
    ...new topic within the topic:

Has anyone recieved the link to apply for an accommodation after confirmed the admission?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fine9)
    ...new topic within the topic:

Has anyone recieved the link to apply for an accommodation after confirmed the admission?
    I haven't (MSc Political Science). I've emailed and called them and all they say is they're busy...

ReputationRep:
    UvA finally got back to me over a week later stating that the admission decision was a mistake and I am in fact not admitted, causing a bit of a problem considering I had sorted accommodation etc and put down a deposit before realising their potential mistake! Will have to see what I can do there.

The admissions process hasn't exactly been a smooth one...

ReputationRep:
    How soon after confirming their offer did people get info about accommodation etc please ?? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I got my offer over a month ago and I'm still waiting. They told me yesterday that the housing e-mail will come by the end of the week (Graduate School of Social Sciences). For all I know GSSS is a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    May I know the housing email do you mean the link where we can select the specific accommodations? or in myinfo where we indicate our budget preferences and pay the 475EUR?

ReputationRep:
    I don't really have anything about accommodation on myinfo, I assumed it'd all be in the e-mail but I could be wrong. In any case I was told the info would come by the end of this week.

I'm a masters applicant by the way.

ReputationRep:
    Am looking to apply next year, was wondering what GCSEs they are looking for? and what A-levels are worthy of a place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fej100801)
    Am looking to apply next year, was wondering what GCSEs they are looking for? and what A-levels are worthy of a place?
    The admission requirements are on the website and vary slightly by course (some require maths/physics etc) but generally it's: 5 GCSEs (grades A*-C) + 3 GCE A2s.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to GSSS and got conditional acceptance two months ago, since then I have not got any information from UvA. I am getting really scared if I can actually start studying there. I sent them several messages but all of it gave me unclear answer and kept asking me to wait. Last time I got automatic reply saying they would give some information by end of this month. Its already last day of month. Does everyone have same problem? or it is just me.

ReputationRep:
    I got my accommodation e-mail yesterday btw!

To the person above, I don't think there's much to do other than do your Studielink tasks (to do with payment), apply for housing and send UvA our final transcripts/degree certificate.

You can do stuff like book your induction session and upload a photo for your student card on their website, but they won't have sent you information about that. Just have to dig through.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am a prospective student of UvA studying experimental internal medicine. I was wondering is anyone here having trouble with housing ie the department is unresponsive in redirecting you to the housing department. From the UvA website, it seems that accommodation is limited and we should expect an email around mid-May housing. Has anyone else not received that email? If anyone has any good advice for trying to find accommodations independent of the uni, it would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heteronym)
    I got my accommodation e-mail yesterday btw!

To the person above, I don't think there's much to do other than do your Studielink tasks (to do with payment), apply for housing and send UvA our final transcripts/degree certificate.

You can do stuff like book your induction session and upload a photo for your student card on their website, but they won't have sent you information about that. Just have to dig through.
    Which accommodation email was that? Is it the one with the link to let you set budget and room preference?

ReputationRep:
    has anyone reserved a room yet through DUWO or studentwoning? just wondering how i should do it and if anyone had because I'm really confused. thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miggles99)
    has anyone reserved a room yet through DUWO or studentwoning? just wondering how i should do it and if anyone had because I'm really confused. thanks
    Hello! Yes, I've done that. If the UvA has sent you the link to activate your DUWO/another account, just follow the instruction there to reserve your accommodation. Then you will have to sign a tenancy agreement and provide documents needed. If you need any help, do not hesitate to ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miggles99)
    Yes. I reserved through DUWO. Have you received an offer from them to make reservation?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'll be moving to the UVA this September to start a premaster's for an MSc. As it was quite a late application, I am looking for a house. If anyone is looking for a flatmate, please let me know. Is there also some form of UVA facebook group/page I can join where people are offering houses etc?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.