Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiiii! I study Spanish at GCSE and after receiving my mocks it's clear that I stuggle with listening. I got an A overall which is based on listening, reading and controlled assesment. I got a A on the reading and a D on the mock listening so I guess my coursework was a high A/A*. I just wanted to ask for some tips on listening exams because sometimes I tend to blank out or not follow up, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Am doing Spanish GCSE as well and find listening hard because I don't really know so much vocabulary that's being said but my teacher told me in order for me to improve I could use a website called memrise to improve on vocabulary and keep doing past papers based on listening every week and if you feel like you've got a low grade on a paper you've done make sure you RE-DO it at least you memorise the vocabulary.
    hope that helped :yes:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naomeyz_01)
    Am doing Spanish GCSE as well and find listening hard because I don't really know so much vocabulary that's being said but my teacher told me in order for me to improve I could use a website called memrise to improve on vocabulary and keep doing past papers based on listening every week and if you feel like you've got a low grade on a paper you've done make sure you RE-DO it at least you memorise the vocabulary.
    hope that helped :yes:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    i have memrise and that really helps, especially when they have that AQA course which has all then words you need to know for the Spanish spec. thank you, and I've set myself a target to do at least one listening test per week from now on!

ReputationRep:
    I did French GCSE and got an A* overall. My advice is to listen to recordings in your target language, like TV shows you know well (DVDs have language options, I think?), songs, or the news. It's great if you know individual vocab words, but if you can't hear those words when they're spoken in a sentence then they're useless to you. Fully immersing yourself in the language by listening and focusing on the sentence as a whole is (in my opinion) the best way to learn.

Past papers are a must. Make sure you do as many as you can before the exam.

Do you make notes while the audio is playing? My teacher always told us to write down anything we heard, but I could never focus, because I was too busy stressing about having to write stuff down while they're speaking. I'd recommend not doing that, and instead devote 100% of your attention to listening to the speaker and making links between what's being said and the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFame)
    I did French GCSE and got an A* overall. My advice is to listen to recordings in your target language, like TV shows you know well (DVDs have language options, I think?), songs, or the news. It's great if you know individual vocab words, but if you can't hear those words when they're spoken in a sentence then they're useless to you. Fully immersing yourself in the language by listening and focusing on the sentence as a whole is (in my opinion) the best way to learn.

Past papers are a must. Make sure you do as many as you can before the exam.

Do you make notes while the audio is playing? My teacher always told us to write down anything we heard, but I could never focus, because I was too busy stressing about having to write stuff down while they're speaking. I'd recommend not doing that, and instead devote 100% of your attention to listening to the speaker and making links between what's being said and the question.
    Wow congrats on your A* in French! I have tried listening to tv programmes in Spanish which does expand my vocab a bit, but i tend to use past listening papers to get an actual feel of the exam and so I'm used to it. I remember one time I tried to write what I could hear...not the greatest idea of my life lol, thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    I'd say watch French TV shows in your free time. You'd end up catching that accent easily and probably learn some more French vocab.

Talking to yourself or listen to a friend speaking French can also help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.