The Student Room Group

Listening Exam

Hiiii! I study Spanish at GCSE and after receiving my mocks it's clear that I stuggle with listening. I got an A overall which is based on listening, reading and controlled assesment. I got a A on the reading and a D on the mock listening so I guess my coursework was a high A/A*. I just wanted to ask for some tips on listening exams because sometimes I tend to blank out or not follow up, thanks
Am doing Spanish GCSE as well and find listening hard because I don't really know so much vocabulary that's being said but my teacher told me in order for me to improve I could use a website called memrise to improve on vocabulary and keep doing past papers based on listening every week and if you feel like you've got a low grade on a paper you've done make sure you RE-DO it at least you memorise the vocabulary.
hope that helped :yes:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Naomeyz_01
Am doing Spanish GCSE as well and find listening hard because I don't really know so much vocabulary that's being said but my teacher told me in order for me to improve I could use a website called memrise to improve on vocabulary and keep doing past papers based on listening every week and if you feel like you've got a low grade on a paper you've done make sure you RE-DO it at least you memorise the vocabulary.
hope that helped :yes:
Posted from TSR Mobile

i have memrise and that really helps, especially when they have that AQA course which has all then words you need to know for the Spanish spec. thank you, and I've set myself a target to do at least one listening test per week from now on! :smile:
Reply 3
I did French GCSE and got an A* overall. My advice is to listen to recordings in your target language, like TV shows you know well (DVDs have language options, I think?), songs, or the news. It's great if you know individual vocab words, but if you can't hear those words when they're spoken in a sentence then they're useless to you. Fully immersing yourself in the language by listening and focusing on the sentence as a whole is (in my opinion) the best way to learn.

Past papers are a must. Make sure you do as many as you can before the exam.

Do you make notes while the audio is playing? My teacher always told us to write down anything we heard, but I could never focus, because I was too busy stressing about having to write stuff down while they're speaking. I'd recommend not doing that, and instead devote 100% of your attention to listening to the speaker and making links between what's being said and the question.
Original post by TheFame
I did French GCSE and got an A* overall. My advice is to listen to recordings in your target language, like TV shows you know well (DVDs have language options, I think?), songs, or the news. It's great if you know individual vocab words, but if you can't hear those words when they're spoken in a sentence then they're useless to you. Fully immersing yourself in the language by listening and focusing on the sentence as a whole is (in my opinion) the best way to learn.

Past papers are a must. Make sure you do as many as you can before the exam.

Do you make notes while the audio is playing? My teacher always told us to write down anything we heard, but I could never focus, because I was too busy stressing about having to write stuff down while they're speaking. I'd recommend not doing that, and instead devote 100% of your attention to listening to the speaker and making links between what's being said and the question.

Wow congrats on your A* in French! I have tried listening to tv programmes in Spanish which does expand my vocab a bit, but i tend to use past listening papers to get an actual feel of the exam and so I'm used to it. I remember one time I tried to write what I could hear...not the greatest idea of my life lol, thanks for the advice :biggrin:
I'd say watch French TV shows in your free time. You'd end up catching that accent easily and probably learn some more French vocab.

Talking to yourself or listen to a friend speaking French can also help.

Quick Reply

Latest