Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Recently started a new job and it became apparent that people found it hard to pronounce my name. I usually don't like shortening my name, however I recently promised myself that I wanted to slow change my life and become more accepted and appreciative of society and nature. Therefore, I gave myself a nickname and well you guessed it a lot of the people within this office now know me by this name.

The thing is though, is it good to have like a nickname at work? I am aware that work and life out of work are two completely different things - and work is a more serious and professional way of life.

Opinions?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yunglife)
    Recently started a new job and it became apparent that people found it hard to pronounce my name. I usually don't like shortening my name, however I recently promised myself that I wanted to slow change my life and become more accepted and appreciative of society and nature. Therefore, I gave myself a nickname and well you guessed it a lot of the people within this office now know me by this name.

The thing is though, is it good to have like a nickname at work? I am aware that work and life out of work are two completely different things - and work is a more serious and professional way of life.

Opinions?
    Depends on whether it's a nickname that school chums would give eachother or whether it's something that's okay to call someone at work.

For example there is someone in my team who has a slightly long name but everyone calls him by the first 3 letters of that name and I see no problem with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Depends on whether it's a nickname that school chums would give eachother or whether it's something that's okay to call someone at work.

For example there is someone in my team who has a slightly long name but everyone calls him by the first 3 letters of that name and I see no problem with it.
    Yeah my name can be hard to remember for someone who is meeting me for the first time. This is the first time people are going by my initials

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.