Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    :rofl2: JOURNEY TO As AND A*s IN THE WEIRD AND WONDERFUL WORLD OF NIQUE :rofl2:

HEY

I'm Nique, a Year 11 student who will hopefully survive the dreaded GCSE exam season in May/June. Yes, this blog is for the Grow Your Grades thread although I think it might end up being another distraction from doing productive revision I have already finished my mocks and actually, I already have the results for them too...

MOCK GRADES
    Maths: 8
    English Lit: 6
    English Lang: 6
    Biology: A
    Chemistry: A*
    Physics: A*
    RE: B
    Economics: C
    Geography: A*
    French: A*

TARGET GRADES
    Maths: 8
    English Lit: 8
    English Lang: 8
    Biology: A*
    Chemistry: A*
    Physics: A*
    RE: A
    Economics: A
    Geography: A*
    French: A*

If my results look like my target grade list in August, I will faint. Not joking.

OK, so, some of my grades are a little far away for my target ones - definitely not Economics or English - but as everyone says, if you work hard you will get the grade that you deserve. So that's the plan! Starting from now (probably should have started earlier) I will be working hard, especially in Economics and English, so that I do eventually get my target grades on results day.

Up until now, I admit that I have been putting off revision and using pathetic excuses to not start. It's only been little bits here and there but even those - extremely short - revision sessions have not been productive in any way, shape or form... whoops :clap2:
    However to stop this procrastination and start being productive I have so far deleted Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter from my phone, cleared my desk, organised folders and found a way to complete a weekly revision timetable :yep:
    Social media all gone. No point in having a phone now really.

I do have plans for college and university but I'll save that for another time. I'm really going to try to keep updating on here so there will be another post from me soon if I'm not drowning in revision and homework. Struggles.

BYEEEE

Nique

ReputationRep:
    Hi, good luck with all of your GCSEs. Just try and keep up with the revision and they'll be fine. I agree with you about this taking up your productive time- I spend far too long thinking of what to write on my grow your grades. (I guess I just write too much though!) One tip: be realistic with a timetable otherwise you might struggle to get it to stick

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Update: 22/01/17

HEY

Tomorrow I have a B1 mock (biology) and its not really helpful that I started revision at 2:30...
    I still have physics ISA prep to do for tomorrow too so I'm trying to do a quick update for today - sorry its not up to standard

In other news I am yet to improve on my organisational skills. If you read my last post you'll see that I said I cleared my desk as a way of getting productive revision done but here I am typing with a load of clutter around me. That's on tomorrows checklist: clear desk - again - along with continued biology revision, chemistry homework, start maths homework, start economics homework, wish to start Year 11 again - wait no even better: wish to go back to Year 7 (when life was easy and all you had to worry about was how to carry you school bag, PE kit and food tech ingredients at the same time).

Another thing I have decided to do is use my lunchtimes to get as much homework done as possible so that after school I can just focus on revision. I know a lot of people say lunchtime is when you should relax but honestly, I have been relaxing too much lately ('_')

Think I'll go do that ISA prep now

Byeeeeee

Nique

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emduck)
    Hi, good luck with all of your GCSEs. Just try and keep up with the revision and they'll be fine. I agree with you about this taking up your productive time- I spend far too long thinking of what to write on my grow your grades. (I guess I just write too much though!) One tip: be realistic with a timetable otherwise you might struggle to get it to stick

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I LOVE YOUR GYG thread!!!

(Original post by rm.25)
    Update: 22/01/17

HEY

Tomorrow I have a B1 mock (biology) and its not really helpful that I started revision at 2:30...
    I still have physics ISA prep to do for tomorrow too so I'm trying to do a quick update for today - sorry its not up to standard

In other news I am yet to improve on my organisational skills. If you read my last post you'll see that I said I cleared my desk as a way of getting productive revision done but here I am typing with a load of clutter around me. That's on tomorrows checklist: clear desk - again - along with continued biology revision, chemistry homework, start maths homework, start economics homework, wish to start Year 11 again - wait no even better: wish to go back to Year 7 (when life was easy and all you had to worry about was how to carry you school bag, PE kit and food tech ingredients at the same time).

Another thing I have decided to do is use my lunchtimes to get as much homework done as possible so that after school I can just focus on revision. I know a lot of people say lunchtime is when you should relax but honestly, I have been relaxing too much lately ('_'

Think I'll go do that ISA prep now

Byeeeeee

Nique
    Lol I have my AS maths mock tomorrow and I am starting revision NOW! Best of luck!x
    Ha ha ha but when you're in yr 12 you'll wish you're in yr 11 again!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emduck)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    THANK YOU FOR THE ADVICE!!! yh tbh I think my timetable will be a bit demotivating if i'm not realistic with it... btw love your blog

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)

Lol I have my AS maths mock tomorrow and I am starting revision NOW! Best of luck!x
    Ha ha ha but when you're in yr 12 you'll wish you're in yr 11 again!!!
    GOOD LUCK YOU'LL BE FINE!!! I'll be wishing i was back in primary school lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rm.25)
    GOOD LUCK YOU'LL BE FINE!!! I'll be wishing i was back in primary school lol
    Thanks!x I really do miss those carefree days...

ReputationRep:
    Biology and Breakfast deprived
    Update: 23/01/17

HEY

Today I had my B1 mock and first thing to ask is: What is an Independent Company?!
    I heard that this question was put the paper accidently at the time that people actually sat the exam, it was all over twitter lol. But is this something I should actually know, I never saw this on the spec during revision??

HOMEWORK COMPLETED TODAY:
    • Chemistry - mock exam corrections
    • Economics - Past paper question from June 2015
    • Geography - worksheet on squatter settlements
    • Maths - mock exam corrections (half completed )

Revision stuff
    At the moment I'm making loads of mind maps for revision with lots of different coloured pens I got for my birthday I don't think that revision cards are going to be beneficial to me, personally, I think they're a bit boring but they are good for quick memory recall. I'm thinking about making my own podcasts/recordings on my phone because they are quite an easy way of revision, just listen back over and over again. YOUTUBE is greaaatttt love that stuff, I will make a post soon about revision channels I really recommend for the subjects I do (Mr Bruff = legend). What revision techniques do you use??

Breakfast deprived
    I never get up in time to eat breakfast, it's always run downstairs and straight out the door. So I need a strategy... either take food with me (probably belvita breakfast biscuits) or get up earlier and get less sleep (and eat actual cereal/toast) hmmm decisions, decisions. Probably should go to bed earlier and get up earlier.

That other half of my maths homework needs to be completed

BYEEEEEEE

Nique

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rm.25)
    Biology and Breakfast deprived
    Update: 23/01/17

HEY

Today I had my B1 mock and first thing to ask is: What is an Independent Company?!
    I heard that this question was put the paper accidently at the time that people actually sat the exam, it was all over twitter lol. But is this something I should actually know, I never saw this on the spec during revision??

HOMEWORK COMPLETED TODAY:
    • Chemistry - mock exam corrections
    • Economics - Past paper question from June 2015
    • Geography - worksheet on squatter settlements
    • Maths - mock exam corrections (half completed )

Revision stuff
    At the moment I'm making loads of mind maps for revision with lots of different coloured pens I got for my birthday I don't think that revision cards are going to be beneficial to me, personally, I think they're a bit boring but they are good for quick memory recall. I'm thinking about making my own podcasts/recordings on my phone because they are quite an easy way of revision, just listen back over and over again. YOUTUBE is greaaatttt love that stuff, I will make a post soon about revision channels I really recommend for the subjects I do (Mr Bruff = legend). What revision techniques do you use??

Breakfast deprived
    I never get up in time to eat breakfast, it's always run downstairs and straight out the door. So I need a strategy... either take food with me (probably belvita breakfast biscuits) or get up earlier and get less sleep (and eat actual cereal/toast) hmmm decisions, decisions. Probably should go to bed earlier and get up earlier.

That other half of my maths homework needs to be completed

BYEEEEEEE

Nique
    I generally do past paper questions, make notes and do revision cards generally for revision. If I'm really last minute I might flick through a textbook as well to get some definitions in my head, but that's not effective long term.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Geography and Getting Stressed
    Update: 03/02/17

HEY

I haven't posted in a while but that's because the past week has been a bit full on. There was my chemistry test on Tuesday, geography test on Wednesday, that maths challenge on Thursday (if you did it comment what you thought and how you got on with the questions) and then the deadline for Sixth Form applications at school this week too.
    As for next week: I have a AQA Economics Unit 12 paper for pretty much the first time (anyone know good revision sources for Unit 12??) and a physics test either on Monday or Thursday

Geography
    The test I had was an end of unit one about Changing Urban Environments/Urbanisation. I have to say this topic was quite a bit more interesting than the rest of them because the most of the case studies were based on places I have actually been to. London Docks, Birmingham, Cambridge but not Kibera or Curitiba. I do love going to Selfridges every once in a while But anyway the test was not good but it wasn't bad either, just somewhere there in the middle. I used mostly mindmaps and revision videos on Youtube. Hopefully, I'll pick up more marks on the 8 marker because case studies are mostly what I revised... not a good strategy.

Getting Stressed
    It seems a bit weird, but I am now stressing about how close the exams really are. My teacher told me today I only have 10 more school weeks, not including holidays, until we go on study leave This week has been a wake-up call. I realised that really I still have a lot of work to do if I want to get/maintain those high grades. EEEEKKKK. As long as I have my revision timetable I will be fine

I said in my last post that I will be getting up earlier
    Update: I kind of gave up but I WILL KEEP TRYING

Time for some Unit 12 revision YASSS :ashamed2::bawling:

BYEEEEEE

Nique

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.