Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

FIFA technical boss wants to scrap offsides and yellow cards Watch

• TSR Support Team

This seems one of them stupid mad ideas
    http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...d-yellow-cards

ReputationRep:
    While I don't agree with some of these ideas, this is exactly what football needs. Someone who is capable of thinking outside of the box. Football is far too stuck in its ways and one of the worst sports for attempting new things. Nothing that I can think of has improved the game as a spectacle since they outlawed backpasses.

Needs to be more like field hockey. They regularly trial new rules for short periods or in certain tournaments and adopt the ones that work and forget about the ones that don't.

One of the best rule changes in hockey in the last decade that I'd be happy to see trialled in football is the self-pass on free kicks. So, someone gets fouled and then the free kick taker can just start running with the ball providing the ball was stationary without having to pass to someone else. It would make the game much quicker and it should mean the ball is in play longer because the amount of time wasted in a game of football is one of the things I hate most.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Sounds interesting to say the least.
    Be aware that he's just suggested, floated these ideas, a misleading title to the article.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Four quarters 😂 think we all know why they want that and it's certainly nothing to do with football

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Getting rid of the yellow card and replacing with sin bins doesn't sound as drastic.

Not sure about getting rid of the offside rule. In the league, I'd make it so that you get 0 points for drawing 0-0 which would force teams into playing attacking football at least to the extent to get a goal.

Four quarters would be all about advertising and money.. probably the most likely change out of the lot for all the wrong reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Van Basten was an amazing player.. not sure I agree with his ideas regarding football though first thing is first, forget all that hes saying and start toughining footballers up, red cards for diving!

ReputationRep:
    Getting rid of offsides is one of the worst ideas in football. To think that the opposing team's striker is just able to stand close to the goalkeeper, wait for the ball and take a shot. Not a good idea... The idea is suitable for smaller games like 5-a-side, not a fully-blown match. Not sure what to think about the yellow card rule though.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    On the topic of rule changes the one thing I do agree with is retrospective action for diving.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think fewer games per year needs to happen, in England at least. Dropping down to an 18, or even 16, team Premier League would improve quality and allow clubs to throw more at the cup competitions. It would also cut out a hell of a lot of mid table "dead rubbers," and with a 16 team league you could probably televise every single game.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 20, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.