Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm currently in year 12 studying Maths, Psychology, Chemistry, and Latin. I have been looking many university courses i could do and found this one. It looks really interesting!! Are my A-level subjects good for the course? Will I need to know a foreign language fluently?

ReputationRep:
    Hey! First post on here, so sorry if I end up rambling. I just received my offer (unconditional on account of my coming from the US and already having a year at uni here) from Ox to study Psychology and Linguistics.

First, you should be aware you only pick two of the three to study, so go for the two you feel most comfortable in.

Second, as far as subjects go, you seem in a really good position. They want students who have enough math and science background to approach these disciplines in a precise way and enough of a humanities/social sciences to be thoughtful. I had loads of Psychology and psych lab credits as that was my major here in the US, and some language/linguistics credits.

Third they're really more interested in what you will have to say than what language you'll be able to say it in - I only speak english and basic conversational french (not fluent, but can make do), and did not feel like that had a major impact on my application either way. It would be best to show an interest in learning more languages if you go for linguistics, (I'm taking more french classes and indicated that I would be starting Russian courses this summer), but how you can compare unfamiliar languages to yours or thoughts on language theory in general is going to be more impactful.

Just to mention, the course does have a higher acceptance rate than most other subjects at Ox (18% for women, 30% or so for men over the last three years - the imbalance is due to mostly female applicants for the course I think), so its certainly a doable proposition.

Get yourself a subscription for whatever the UK equivalent is for the American Journal of Psychology - and commit to actually reading it! - really hit the books on your Latin, maybe read some Dante. Top level schoolwork is expected, you need to show you're interested beyond the classroom. Best of luck!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.