Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys think i may get a place in september, i really liked edgehill but im wondering what the genral times of classes are? Also the times/days of placement? I have 2 young children who i can account for care between the hours of 7.30am and 6pm but i will struggle out of these hours. Ill have some help but i also live in blackburn which in traffick can take 55 mins to drive over, normal time would be around 40 min. Is there a way you can request placement to take place within these hours or at weekends? My partner is in the arky he will leave next july and that will help massivley but until then ill struggle. Weekends i can get help but evenings are going to be very very tricky.... x

ReputationRep:
    You work all shifts, 24 hrs. You dont pick and chose the time you want to do placement. Generally you follow your placement tutor patten of work. This information is given during your interviews and induction

ReputationRep:
    I thought so, someome mentioned you can ask for child friendly working hours where possible... clearly not. I will habe to pay someome i know when needed to watch the children when im working out of the normal childcare hours time until my partner leaves the army i suppose. I have to do this as i certainly can not continue working at minimum wage.

ReputationRep:
    Placements will not be all that flexible with people who have children. They will understand and try and accommodate to a certain extent but they will not give you certain hours etc just because you have children. They have to be fair to those who don't have children.
    Your hours will be dictated by where you will be on placement and what your placement mentor works.
    Then you will be required to cover both days nights week days and weekends.
    You need to gather the whole spectrum of nursing working hours.
    This gives you a chance to cover varying aspects of caring for patients, exposure to different medications administered at different times etc.
    It will be hard, but you will need to organise childcare and find someone who is flexible to you and your placement shifts.
    Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    try not to worry. do you have family nearby. I know its different now but the bursary provides funds for child care. make sure you apply. sadly you cant work 9 to 5 in placements its an nmc rule that you must practice over the complete cycle. but you could ask for placements from uni that are more likely to be child friendly. if your a decent student they will probably be a little more flexable. working night is limited so try not to worry. see if you can do a block when child care is available.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, ive no family nearny who can help, but i do have good friends ill rope their help in. Once my partner leaves the army it will be much easier. Ill manage somehow. Childcare hours are genrally 7.30am-6pm so thats a big chunk covered x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.