Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to get income without a job Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So, I want to work full time but I also:
    - Don't want to be reliant on an employer.
    - Not have to take on crap jobs that have no relevance.
    - Not feel like my boss could destroy my life because I arrive 5 minutes late.

So how do I make a small passive income which is enough to pay the rent so I can spend time actually doing work I enjoy instead of selling my soul like some kind of mental prostitute?

ReputationRep:
    No one gets into their ideal job straight up. You work here and there/work up - you learn a lot of skills in doing so.

The only way you're not going to be reliant on an employer is if you *are* the employer. I.e., create your own business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paralove)
    No one gets into their ideal job straight up. You work here and there/work up - you learn a lot of skills in doing so.

The only way you're not going to be reliant on an employer is if you *are* the employer. I.e., create your own business.
    I'm not after like 50k a year, just a tiny bit to pay for the rent so I have that security. Self employment seems just as bad as you have to take on the extra risk. I was thinking more like, making most of my income from some kind of passive stream and doing perm volunteering.

ReputationRep:
    sell yo body
    sell yo organs
    steal da monies from a bank

ReputationRep:
    Gamble

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheExtrovertGod)
    So, I want to work full time but I also:
    - Don't want to be reliant on an employer.
    - Not have to take on crap jobs that have no relevance.
    - Not feel like my boss could destroy my life because I arrive 5 minutes late.

So how do I make a small passive income which is enough to pay the rent so I can spend time actually doing work I enjoy instead of selling my soul like some kind of mental prostitute?
    It is hard and I was in a similar position to you a few months ago. I always hated agencies and bureaucratic workplaces, however I was contacted via a job board directly by an agency for a temp job. I passed the stages and in my first week at my new job. The good thing about being an agency worker is that you are only working for someone for a short period of time. So if you don't like them you only have to put up with the hate for a short time. Plus in life, whether you own a business or not you have to take on responsibility and jobs that you may necessarily not like.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.