Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

when you have no friends in your lesson? Watch

At school, for three out of four subjects I have close friends to sit next to (two are in two of my lessons). But for my fourth subject I haven't really been able to make proper friends with anyone and it's making me feel lonely when I have that subject lesson every day.

There are only 3 girls in the class (and more than twice the number of guys) and I sit next to one of the girls in all my lessons. She's nice and we work well together but we don't really click so I'm not that close with her. I'd really like to get to know the guys a bit better but most of them seem too popular for me and I don't think I'm very approachable as I'm very shy. Also, I don't sit next to any and it's unlikely they'd start talking to me.

So basically my question is how to start talking to people and making friends with them in your lessons when you don't sit next to them + therefore don't really get the chance to talk to them?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    At school, for three out of four subjects I have close friends to sit next to (two are in two of my lessons). But for my fourth subject I haven't really been able to make proper friends with anyone and it's making me feel lonely when I have that subject lesson every day.

There are only 3 girls in the class (and more than twice the number of guys) and I sit next to one of the girls in all my lessons. She's nice and we work well together but we don't really click so I'm not that close with her. I'd really like to get to know the guys a bit better but most of them seem too popular for me and I don't think I'm very approachable as I'm very shy. Also, I don't sit next to any and it's unlikely they'd start talking to me.

So basically my question is how to start talking to people and making friends with them in your lessons when you don't sit next to them + therefore don't really get the chance to talk to them?
    Forget your textbook and ask if you can share with someone, preferably not the girl you're used to sitting next to :lol: as in sit next to one and go 'hey, I forgot my textbook, can I sit here?' easier said than done, I know :lol: but I did this once with a girl I liked in a language class

Mind you, you migh click with the girl if you spend time with her out of class.

ReputationRep:
    Walk up to them and ask of you could sit there- popularity isn't a thing. Depends if you are calling that type of person 'popular' pr if they have loads of friends. If they have lots of friends, maybe they are really nice and approachable? My advice is: don't doubt yourself, if you want to make friends you can- you just have to have confidence in yourself. Don't overthink it or it'll throw your conversational skills off.
    Maybe after the lesson you could talk about the class or work that has to be due in and ask how they would approach it. Pick subject topics you'll both be able to relate to or ask them questions that they can answer- that's the best way to keep a conversation going.

ReputationRep:

Wait for teacher to be distracted or whatever and make general patter ... I had the same problem in chemistry and now I am great friends with two of the boys and a girl from the class. Admittedly I did get moved next to one of them... And now we both get threatened to be moved every leson haha... Sorry went off track. Just patter with them, even message them about homework.

ReputationRep:

I was in the SAME exact position as you and I guess i'm still am. Well my teacher who knew I didn't really have anyone I was comfortable in with the class swapped the seating plans a bunch of times so I was sat next to every girl (there were 4 of us) and I didn't really click with any of them so she sat me in a row of boys who 'act popular' and we had instantly clicked, we're even still friends right now and still in the same class.

I suggest if you have any other lesson with them maybe talk to them then? or out of lesson? They usually act nicer when they're alone in class and not surrounded by their friends. Maybe try to talk to them little by little every lesson and then you'll get to know them better. And if there are more than double amount of boys surely you've spoken to at least one of them before maybe start off with talking to them again and then you'll make your way through

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.