Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I recently received an offer from Cambridge for Natural Sciences (physical) for A*A*A (Including A* in Further Maths). I know Cambridge is going to be my firm choice but I don't know what to do for my insurance.

Manchester: A*A*A
    Leeds: AAA
    Southampton: Unconditional (with a scholarship which is unfortunately only available if I firm them)
    Edinburgh: AAA (no longer really interested)
    (All offers are for the MSc except for Cambridge which doesn't offer the MSc at application)

I couldn't bring myself to go to Southampton if I miss out on the scholarship (they would probably have been my insurance if they hadn't offered me the scholarship actually but it would feel like a waste if I then went there without it). I really like Manchester and would prefer to go there than to Leeds (which I also like and would be happy to go to) but I feel like the grade difference is so fine that there's no point in putting them as my insurance. The only way I would make Manchester is with A*A*A but with the second A* in Physics. I seem to remember them saying that they usually let applicants in with a grade below the offer (but maybe transferred to the BSc) but I'm not particularly comfortable with that gamble.
    Does anyone have any advice or just comments to add?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Bump?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSimpZone)
    Hi, so I recently received an offer from Cambridge for Natural Sciences (physical) for A*A*A (Including A* in Further Maths). I know Cambridge is going to be my firm choice but I don't know what to do for my insurance.

Manchester: A*A*A
    Leeds: AAA
    Southampton: Unconditional (with a scholarship which is unfortunately only available if I firm them)
    Edinburgh: AAA (no longer really interested)
    (All offers are for the MSc except for Cambridge which doesn't offer the MSc at application)

I couldn't bring myself to go to Southampton if I miss out on the scholarship (they would probably have been my insurance if they hadn't offered me the scholarship actually but it would feel like a waste if I then went there without it). I really like Manchester and would prefer to go there than to Leeds (which I also like and would be happy to go to) but I feel like the grade difference is so fine that there's no point in putting them as my insurance. The only way I would make Manchester is with A*A*A but with the second A* in Physics. I seem to remember them saying that they usually let applicants in with a grade below the offer (but maybe transferred to the BSc) but I'm not particularly comfortable with that gamble.
    Does anyone have any advice or just comments to add?
    Thanks!
    I study theoretical physics at leeds and imo if you're looking for a safe insurance between the 2 then pick leeds, I dont actually know anyone with AAA at A-level in my year, its mostly AAB-ABB (and the entry grades were meant to be AAA when I applied too) so you would still probably get taken with ABB and still get accepted.

Though you also have to enjoy your time wherever you go too so take that into account

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.