Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Banks prepare to move staff out of the UK Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    A lot of bankers spend a lot of time out of the country with their kids in boarding schools so relocating just means more air fares to see the kids.
    Problem is most people hired by banks aren't bankers.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by SirDaz)
    leave it then the bank should be barred from doing any trade or providing any services in Britain they **** us over we **** them over.
    Then they wouldnt just move the euro jobs they would move all of them. I really doubt if you were earing a six figure salary and werent already rich you would tell them where to go. Your responses are childish and ill conceived
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by JamesN88)
    Where, the place they're relocating to?
    Paris, Frankfurt or Dublin. people have already been moving to Paris.

ReputationRep:
    Breixt is a golden opportunity for EU countries to not only grab a load of high earning bankers but anyone who works in any industry that do a lot of business in the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Paris, Frankfurt or Dublin. people have already been moving to Paris.
    I know.

I was replying to SirDaz saying he'd tell them where to go.

ReputationRep:
    After the banking crisis, they can sod off. They've costed the tax payer too much it's better we restructure our economy than hold onto them. After brexit the UK will remain the most stable economy since its part of the single currency and won't be subject to harsh EU regulations, of course they want access to European markets and the U.K. Might not be able to offer that in the future so what more can be done? Should we really hold onto them at the cost of the EU? I don't think it's worth it, I'd rather say goodbye to those positions and resturure the economy through global trade deals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    After the banking crisis, they can sod off. They've costed the tax payer too much it's better we restructure our economy than hold onto them. After brexit the UK will remain the most stable economy since its part of the single currency and won't be subject to harsh EU regulations, of course they want access to European markets and the U.K. Might not be able to offer that in the future so what more can be done? Should we really hold onto them at the cost of the EU? I don't think it's worth it, I'd rather say goodbye to those positions and resturure the economy through global trade deals.
    We could restructure our economy around jam and cake exports to China, thats worth at least £30,000,000 a year.
    • Very Important Poster

After the banking crisis, they can sod off. They've costed the tax payer too much it's better we restructure our economy than hold onto them.
    So no financial services at all? What do you intend replacing them with?
    How will you be replacing the foreign currency it earns? Bigger than all the other exprting industries combined. Smart move....

ReputationRep:
    What EU regulations do you think are particularly harsh? The financial sector have shown that (although very profitable for the country and essential to hang on to) can't be trusted to operate without strict oversight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    We could restructure our economy around jam and cake exports to China, thats worth at least £30,000,000 a year.
    :lol:

ReputationRep:
    So no financial services at all? What do you intend replacing them with?
    How will you be replacing the foreign currency it earns? Bigger than all the other exprting industries combined. Smart move....
    Not all of them, just some. My point was they reduce our liability. It's important to understand they want access to something we want delivery, our economy will move forward and offer new things. It's a small reduction in financial services, a sector with too much liability on our economy. Good luck to them when the euro reaches parity with the dollar.

ReputationRep:
    What EU regulations do you think are particularly harsh? The financial sector have shown that (although very profitable for the country and essential to hang on to) can't be trusted to operate without strict oversight.
    I didn't mean restrictions on the financial sector…
    • Very Important Poster

Not all of them, just some. My point was they reduce our liability. It's important to understand they want access to something we want delivery, our economy will move forward and offer new things. It's a small reduction in financial services, a sector with too much liability on our economy. Good luck to them when the euro reaches parity with the dollar.
    If liability is what worries you then why not send all financial services abroad. What will you be replacing them with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Excellent. When the immigrants have gone home, this sounds like a good group to attack.

How much taxpayers money have those 20 somethings received to subsidise them through university? there are too many graduates, this is because of New Labour and leftists.

In fact I think there are too many 20 somethings in this country, we are full.
    Ironically there's probably not enough.

People aren't having enough kids to support the ageing population. We either need young immigration or to encourage people to have more kids.

But yeah it'll be interesting to see who the scapegoats are in the future, I think it'll probably still be Brussells for not giving us everything we demand in the exit deal.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck in France - you'll have anarchists burning tractor tyres outside your offices before you can say 'where's my bonus?'

ReputationRep:
    If liability is what worries you then why not send all financial services abroad. What will you be replacing them with?
    If I believed that I would say it. But I don't, not sure what point you're trying to make here? 1,000 jobs gone in a sector that dominates and risks our economy… it's so big that 1,000 jobs is hardly going to affect it. Like I said, our economy will continue to move forward and new opportunities will arise. They've not left because our economy is poor and has no future prospect, it's because they may not have access to a crucial market. London still remains their preferable place of business and does so for many other financial services hence why they only moved 1,000 jobs.
    • Very Important Poster

If I believed that I would say it. But I don't, not sure what point you're trying to make here? 1,000 jobs gone in a sector that dominates and risks our economy… it's so big that 1,000 jobs is hardly going to affect it. Like I said, our economy will continue to move forward and new opportunities will arise. They've not left because our economy is poor and has no future prospect, it's because they may not have access to a crucial market. London still remains their preferable place of business and does so for many other financial services hence why they only moved 1,000 jobs.
    That was just HSBC and thats just for now. For every banking job there are supporting jobs and then jobs which rely on those.

I dont think it was the bankers who are leaving who caused the banking crisis and who you appear to be blaming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Good luck in France - you'll have anarchists burning tractor tyres outside your offices before you can say 'where's my bonus?'
    Haha, I remember a commentator saying once they might move to Shanghai if regulation got too tight.

I thought "Hmm, really? Move to a country that executes people for financial crime? Are you sure about that mate?"

You've gotta love 'em though.

Spoiler:
    Show

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Are these the jobs that left last July, sorry, that were used as a threat that wasn't followed through on last June?

ReputationRep:
    But yeah it'll be interesting to see who the scapegoats are in the future, I think it'll probably still be Brussells for not giving us everything we demand in the exit deal.
    We saw a little glimpse of it with the way Theresa May reacted to the NHS crisis, by turning on the GPs.

I expect public service professionals will be in the firing line:

"why has Brexit been chaos?" - "the civil service needs to get on and deliver and stop trying to block it!"

"why is the rail network failing?" - "transport workers need to stop complaining and striking and deliver"

"why is the NHS on the point of collapse?" - "the doctors and BMA need to start doing their job, they are well paid"

"why is social care in crisis?" - "social care is the responsibility of councils and councils need to do their job"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.