Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Beecham Towers - Residential Skycrapers watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The one in Manchester is under construction now, it will be 560ft tall making it not only the tallest building outside London but also the tallest residential bulding in the UK. 1 bed appartments will set you back £250k, or £3 million for the pent suites.

I believe the one in Liverpool (shorter) has been built and there is one being built in Birmingham as well.

It will also house a Hilton Hotel.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=190363

ReputationRep:
    It's Beetham Towers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3490580.stm

ReputationRep:
    How out of place does that look!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    How out of place does that look!
    It won't do when its finsihed, that whole area is being regenerated so it will probably match the souroundings more when its completed although its not the most built up part of the city centre so it will look odd with just one huge (by UK standards) skycraper and nothing else round it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    It won't do when its finsihed, that whole area is being regenerated so it will probably match the souroundings more when its completed although its not the most built up part of the city centre so it will look odd with just one huge (by UK standards) skycraper and nothing else round it.
    Ah ok then, it just looks silly in the artists impression.

ReputationRep:
    I think modern buildings look fairly cool - look at The Gerhkin in London. all London paraphenalia now incorporates it's image, and the skyline at dusk from Southbank is fantastic - St Pauls along to Canary Wharf.

It only tends to work if you have a lot of fairly tall grande buildings though - and can see where Ellie4 is commng from

ReputationRep:
    That area is one of the dullest parts, but the Deangate Locks area is right next to it, with loads of bars next to the canal built in railway arches so it does look quite cool espeicaly at night.

It might encourage more developments in that part of the centre. My only problem with it is the price, we need affordable housing not £700k 2 bed appartments. There isn't any cheap places to live in the decent parts of Manchester now and developers are not helping the problem. I guess this is the same in all cities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    Ah ok then, it just looks silly in the artists impression.
    yeah i agree..this new magneficent sky scraper and next to it are like bakers house or soemthing?!? looks daft...

ReputationRep:
    I believe the one in Liverpool (shorter) has been built and there is one being built in Birmingham as well.
    I'm sure I saw something about something very similar being built in Leeds too.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, there's a Transit van going past on the artist's impression!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    I'm sure I saw something about something very similar being built in Leeds too.
    on the BBC site it says all over the country, so maybe all the major citites are having a revamp...dunnno...

ReputationRep:
    id otn understand why we dont have more sky scrapers in this country in the cities??

The one in Liverpool is looking rather good although i don't think it is finished yet. The penthouse at the top sold for 1.5m in liverpool apparently, there were rumours that michael owen bought it but i don't think they are true. However one of the atomic kittens has bought one of the apartments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swim By)
    id otn understand why we dont have more sky scrapers in this country in the cities??
    There's alot of building regulation and they just went off them for a while. Look what happened last time we just ended up with a bunch of derelict tower blocks which smell like piss. But now the economy is at a stage where they have become viable again, so they are being built again.

As for that artists impression of the Manchester one, it does look utterly ridiculous and out of place, looks like they've dumped it in 1982. This is a much much favourable render, and well realistic because that's what the area ACTUALLY looks like.

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/hiltondeansgatetower.jpg

Also bear in mind that since all these renders, they approved a couple more 500ft+ towers in the same area, so it will look like a decent cluster. Giving Manchester quite a pretty skyline IMO!

ReputationRep:
    lmfao http://www.geocities.com/sarahonetwo...ottdarling.jpg

ReputationRep:
    The one in Manchester is under construction now, it will be 560ft tall making it not only the tallest building outside London but also the tallest residential bulding in the UK. 1 bed appartments will set you back £250k, or £3 million for the pent suites.

It will also house a Hilton Hotel.

yay :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swim By)
    Until recently skyscrapers weren't viable in London because of the clay rock type (too soft). Compared to New York, where there is granite it just wouldn't be stable enough.

However, we're seeing a few more now because of developments in construction technology. I guess other cities in the UK just haven't had the level of investment to see skyscraper development. That and restrictive planning/building regulations.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.