Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Culture of racism amongst white students at Bristol Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    You said "the laws support racism and that's a fact". I simply asked you to back that claim up, which you can't because as i'm sure you know, there are no laws that support racism in this country.

That has nothing to with what i can or cannot understand, you just made a false claim and quite frankly your response was embarrassing to read.
    Apologies for any unintended embarrassment, I do not have evidence to prove that if that's what you're looking for. I have only aired my view as a personal one. I also basically stressed that I wasn't meaning the law specifically support racism (Figures of speech).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Priscal)
    Apologies for any unintended embarrassment, I do not have evidence to prove that if that's what you're looking for. I have only aired my view as a personal one. I also basically stressed that I wasn't meaning the law specifically support racism (Figures of speech).
    So "the laws are the biggest racist of all time" and "the laws support racism and that's a fact" are just figures of speech?

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but to express that as a fact is misleading and inaccurate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willy Pete)
    How can they combat it then, if they don't know who has been doing it then they can't exactly do anything to stop it.
    Well yeah - this is probably why the monkey chanters in OP picked on someone they didn't think could recognise them and then departed without leaving their contact details.

The cyber bullying is pretty idiotic though cos that leaves evidence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    So "the laws are the biggest racist of all time" and "the laws support racism and that's a fact" are just figures of speech?

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but to express that as a fact is misleading and inaccurate.
    Okay point noted and I am going to leave it here - can we move on? Thanks. I could argue why I said that but I think it's better if I left it here as we deviating from the topic. Again my apologies if you feel misled by my comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    When there is talk of division and prejudice in the UK’s university campuses it is often of a classist nature. Talk of background and state vs private schools dominates discussions about problems within higher education. But there is little attention to the racism that plagues our campuses, and white students and staff are being racist without even knowing it.

But now three Bristol students have come forward with stories of their experiences at the hands of other students. They’ve called it “racism pure and simple”, telling us how they are abused with monkey chants in the street and subjected to racist mocking on Facebook and WhatsApp.

All three students agree that the university should be doing more.

We hope that by bringing their stories to light there can be increased discussion on the subject and steps can be made by the university and by other students to help prevent such events from occurring again.

Names have been changed for legal reasons.

Kelly
    It was on a Friday night with my friend, waiting to be let in to another friend’s place for pre-drinks. A bunch of young white guys who were walking towards us started making monkey noises. They continued to do so as they walked past us, laughing their heads off.

I’m black, and my friend is also black. This was racism pure and simple. I unequivocally believe that these men were University of Bristol students and I just wish I could have filmed them or got some names and student numbers.

The worst part of it all was the one white guy lagging behind who laughingly apologised on behalf of his friends. Like he wasn’t as racist as them all? If anything he is the worst kind of racists, at least the other guys were comfortable and open in their racism. He’s the type you’d talk to and get on with in lectures, but really, he thinks less of you just because of your skin colour.

Timi
    It was during the summer exam season of second year that the racial attacks started. Henry* (another Bristol student) ganged up with two other people from my old school and decided to relentlessly torment me.

I was called a series of monkey related names on twitter by the group such as Bobo, Bubbles and ‘Shit Flinger’. The group added me to a WhatsApp conversation and sent me pictures of a monkey based Pokémon that they had just acquired on Pokémon Go.

Not wanting to be restricted to just a few social media platforms, the three of them then sent me snapchats where I was compared to a horse.

Upon writing something about Black Lives Matter on Facebook, one of the group posted hateful comments on the status.

The cherry on top of the cake was being sent this video where the group chant “Timi Ariyo, he swings where he wants” followed by loud gorilla chants.

Dami
    Things started happening really early into my Uni experience. In freshers’ week after I had introduced myself to my flatmates one of them asked if he could call me “Danny” instead of Dami. A few weeks later a club picture of me looking really happy on a night out in Bunker was quickly captioned by one of my Uni sport teammates with “Is that watermelon next to the fried chicken?!”

On a separate occasion one of my flatmate friends was introducing me to her friend from home and said: “This is Dami, he’s black but he’s really cool.”

On another night out at a Bristol club when I was the only black person in a group of 15, the bouncers let everyone else through apart from me. They then searched me for ages and used a handheld metal detector before finally letting me through.

I’ve lost count of the number of times that UOB students have asked me for drugs while in the smoking area of Motion.

These stories reveal a worrying trend and should not be taken lightly. Can black students really feel at home in Bristol if this is the way that some white students behave?

However, a spokesman for the University of Bristol denied that there was a big problem saying: “We have no reason to believe there is a wider problem at the University. We have received no complaints about racist behaviour by our students through our formal Unacceptable Behaviour procedure in the past three years and we have only disciplined one student for misconduct involving racism during this time.

http://thetab.com/uk/bristol/2017/01...campaign=xpost

It is very worrying how racist incidents are still being carried out in our universities, despite programs to educate people on diversity and tolerance. This is at least as serious as the rape epidemic in UK universities. What should be done about this?

Rape epidemic? wtf - you mean "drunken sex" epidemic absolutely ridiculous that people can equate a drunken girl willingly having sex to an actual rape where a girl is forced.

If your girlfriend cheated on you then said "oh it doesn't count I was drunk therefore it was rape" you would be ok with that.

Common sense a man having sex with a willing drunk girl is not the same as some man grabbing a woman and forcing her against her will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jane matthews)
    Common sense a man having sex with a willing drunk girl is not the same as some man grabbing a woman and forcing her against her will
    At the risk of going off topic, this is rather a simplistic and dated view of what rape is. Most rapes are not incidences of women being dragged up an alley and forced to have sex against their will by some stranger, but non-consensual sex between people who often know each other to some degree. It all hinges on consent, and a drunk girl can not consent to sex and be raped as much as a girl who was 'grabbed' and 'forced against her will' can be.

ReputationRep:
    Pompous posh ***** live in the dark ages, truly. They have no regard for anyone or anything, sooner or later their tiny, smug world will be blown apart. They are cossetted spoilt fools drunk on entitlement and smugness and living a past fairytale of imperial greatness, unadaptable to a world that is radically different and still playing at the significance or relevance they once had.

It doesn't surprise me, it could be Edinburgh, or Durham, or any other place full of posh Oxbridge reject *****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    my mum is filipino / chinese
    my dad is polish / italian
    Oh, I thought you were mixed with black, you're very tan

ReputationRep:
    Really outlawed you say? I don't think so, the laws are the biggest racist of all time.
    I am unable to answer this unfortunately, but I am not meaning the law specifically stated it that it support racism if you understand.
    I do not have evidence to prove that if that's what you're looking for. I have only aired my view as a personal one.
    What a wild ride this was. If nothing else, you're honest enough to admit to being divorced from reality.

(Original post by Palmyra)
    1. What ethnic group generally does best at university? Asians
    2. What ethnic group is least represented amongst lecturers at universities? Asians
    Now I don't know if Asians are poor, oppressed POC or just uncle Toms out to suppress true minority voices for profit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LegalDiaries)
    Delusional people are always going to deny the existence of racism and you cannot help them.

I am black. I have experienced racism numerous times, even when still at the university.

It happens everyday.

Many times I would just walk away because to fight back (even with words) would lead to a further stereotype of "the angry black woman." It is exhausting, it is humiliating, it is archaic, it is sad!

I have had racist questions directed at me in the disguise of "trying to find out more."

I have had racist stereotypes thrown at me. The kind of "how did you a black person find yourself in this class that only has white people"

I have had the usual "do you live in trees?" "Can you speak to monkeys?" etc

I have sat on a train, only for neighbor to stand and walk away to another seat.

Interestingly, most of these racists are usually miserable people who are not anywhere near my status in life so I choose to ignore. I just cannot associate with them. I wont afford them the dignity of a conversation because they do not deserve it.
    Maybe people do try to find out more about you?
    I am a foreign student, I speak with horrible English accent and I often get mocked for that.
    I get questions about life back at home. I come from an ex-communist country and sometimes people still ask stuff like 'd you have taxis back there?' but I don't get upset. They are just trying to find out more, they may not realise its rather a touchy subject and its not nice when you have to explain that home is almost identical to the UK, but we drive on the right side of the road.
    People don't know how to pronounce my name, sometimes they call me by the British equivalent. But I don't get upset, I can't pronouce some words either and that's okay.
    I get introduced as 'Thats X, shes not British but shes cool for an European'. But its okay, I come from a different culture that tends to be considered 'lame' here.

Although being called monkey or having people move away from you is racist and wrong, I think you are overreacting in some instances too. People want to get to know you. They don't want to offend you so they ask you stuff to understand you more. They can't pronouce your name, because it may be weird af, but thats not their fault.

My point is, some people are straight ass mean, some consider it banter, but just because you are black doesn't make everything racist. White people experience simialr situations too. So do Asians and Arabs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    At the risk of going off topic, this is rather a simplistic and dated view of what rape is. Most rapes are not incidences of women being dragged up an alley and forced to have sex against their will by some stranger, but non-consensual sex between people who often know each other to some degree. It all hinges on consent, and a drunk girl can not consent to sex and be raped as much as a girl who was 'grabbed' and 'forced against her will' can be.
    Well maybe she can't (legally) consent to sex but in reality she can. If a girl who is drunk willingly has sex with someone this is not the same as her being forced. If its a crime it should be called "consensual sex with a drunk girl" not "rape"

Answer this question then- If a girlfriend went and slept with another man does that mean its ok because she can just say "oh I was drunk therefore It was rape so im not cheating"

What if a girl has sex with a drunk guy then she should be considered criminal - but she isn't so its sexist.

If girls can't take RESPONSIBILITY for THEIR OWN ACTIONS while drunk then maybe she should go to prison for giving consent while drunk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Oh, I thought you were mixed with black, you're very tan
    It's mainly the lighting, but filipinos are pretty tanned

http://www.michaeldsellers.com/wp-co...g-a-Marlin.png

ReputationRep:
    Well maybe she can't (legally) consent to sex but in reality she can. If a girl who is drunk willingly has sex with someone this is not the same as her being forced. If its a crime it should be called "consensual sex with a drunk girl" not "rape"

Answer this question then- If a girlfriend went and slept with another man does that mean its ok because she can just say "oh I was drunk therefore It was rape so im not cheating"

What if a girl has sex with a drunk guy then she should be considered criminal - but she isn't so its sexist.

If girls can't take RESPONSIBILITY for THEIR OWN ACTIONS while drunk then maybe she should go to prison for giving consent while drunk
    Gosh.

I have to admit, I didn't know views like this still existed. Are you going to suggest also that if she wears a short skirt and heels and gets drunk and ends up having non-consensual sex then she was 'asking for it' and has no valid complaint? Are women not allowed to be drunk in public, or if they have the temerity to get drunk then they're fair game for any passing sexual predator? Yes, a woman does have a responsibility to ensure that her behaviour is such that consent isn't 'implied' or 'construed', but what you're suggesting is quite different and, to me, quite disturbing.

Seriously: I really thought we'd moved on from that.

ReputationRep:
    Gosh.

I have to admit, I didn't know views like this still existed. Are you going to suggest also that if she wears a short skirt and heels and gets drunk and ends up having non-consensual sex then she was 'asking for it' and has no valid complaint?
    No obviously not stop trying to twist my words im against actual rape where women are actually forced against their will.

But you really think its ok for a girl to cheat and say "oh I its ok I was drunk therefore it's not cheating "

You really think that having sex with a drunk girl who is willing is the same as forcing against her will.
    But if a girl has sex with a drunk man its okay.

I'm not advocating rape im against that %100. Rape used to mean forcing her against her will, not her willing

ReputationRep:
    No obviously not stop trying to twist my words im against actual rape where women are actually forced against their will.

But you really think its ok for a girl to cheat and say "oh I its ok I was drunk therefore it's not cheating "

You really think that having sex with a drunk girl who is willing is the same as forcing against her will.
    But if a girl has sex with a drunk man its okay.

I'm not advocating rape im against that %100. Rape used to mean forcing her against her will, not her willing
    'Actual rape'. What, instead of that 'Pretend rape' that all these silly women are complaining about?

What do you mean by 'willing'? If by 'willing' you mean 'consenting' then there is no discussion to be had, as a consenting woman has by definition not been raped. But I suspect your definition of 'willing' is not as clear cut as this - it involves elements of being 'up for it', or 'happy to go home with him'. In cases like this, being sexually available does not equate to consenting to having sex - it's an important distinction. I'd also add that rape has never centred around being 'forced': it's always been a question of consent, rightly so.

PS: apologies for mathemagician for derailing. I'll stop now!

But a drunk male can't consent either... so if both parties are drunk (as is often the case), who should be charged with rape?

ReputationRep:
    It's hardly surprising that the right fail to recognise racism when it's staring right at them but seem to throw a hissy fit when there is an instance of racism directed towards whites. They're helping create an anti-white sentiment by being so ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    But a drunk male can't consent either... so if both parties are drunk (as is often the case), who should be charged with rape?
    The way the SOA 2003 is drafted, the one with the ****. Rape is defined quite closely.

ReputationRep:
    bammy jastard 27

Thoughts? Would you firm Bristol?

ReputationRep:
    The horror. What about South Africa universities, where white students are killed just for being white?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.