Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Culture of racism amongst white students at Bristol Watch

ReputationRep:
    3 WHOLE instances of racism?

Christ. This is truly an epidemic.

I'm unfortunate enough to be a white person myself and I would like to apologise on behalf of all white people for what these POC have experienced. We simply aren't doing enough to tackle racism in this country. Any white person who isn't actively taking a stand against racism is part of the problem.

(Original post by richpanda)
      The horror. What about South Africa universities, where white students are killed just for being white?
      Whataboutery
      What the **** does that have to do with this?
      Lmao when people do this it pisses me off so much. So black students being harassed in the uk shouldn't say anything or complain because apperently white people are being killed elsewhere?
      If I pushed this stupid whataboutery logic in threads where the roles are reversed you'd be calling me out for doing it.
      And can you please point me to the South African unis where white people are killed and nothing has been done about it?

And this stupid sarcasm in this thread by people trying to make it out like it's no big deal. The same people that'll make threads about white people facing racism and expect everyone to bring out the pitchforks. If a black person faces racism though it's no big deal. ****ing hypocrite.

ReputationRep:
      The horror. What about South Africa universities, where white students are killed just for being white?
      Classic whataboutery.

Like StrawbAri said, its whataboutery. And the perpetrators are usually punished. Besides, its not about blacks feeling superior to whites, its about resentment, and they do have a lot to be resentful of.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mathemagicien)
      But a drunk male can't consent either... so if both parties are drunk (as is often the case), who should be charged with rape?
      The one who initiates? :dontknow:

(Original post by Reality Check)
      The way the SOA 2003 is drafted, the one with the ****. Rape is defined quite closely.
      What about 2 drunk gays who have sex?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by NickLCFC)

I'm unfortunate enough to be a white person myself and I would like to apologise on behalf of all white people for what these POC have experienced. We simply aren't doing enough to tackle racism in this country. Any white person who isn't actively taking a stand against racism is part of the problem.
      It's alright you don't need to apologise, denying the existence of racism while crying like a ***** when white people get offended is a problem in society too

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by b4dasss)
      It's alright you don't need to apologise, denying the existence of racism while crying like a ***** when white people get offended is a problem in society too
      No one is saying racism doesn't exist. But being called Danny instead of Dami is hardly a racism. Monkey calls are not okay, but you can't call every occurrence of rudeness a racism.
      I have similar things happening to me too and I'm a white girl.

ReputationRep:
      'Actual rape'. What, instead of that 'Pretend rape' that all these silly women are complaining about?

What do you mean by 'willing'? If by 'willing' you mean 'consenting' then there is no discussion to be had, as a consenting woman has by definition not been raped. But I suspect your definition of 'willing' is not as clear cut as this - it involves elements of being 'up for it', or 'happy to go home with him'. In cases like this, being sexually available does not equate to consenting to having sex - it's an important distinction. I'd also add that rape has never centred around being 'forced': it's always been a question of consent, rightly so.

PS: apologies for mathemagician for derailing. I'll stop now!
      I'll use the excuse of being drunk as a skunk next time I make an impulse buy. "Officer, I was too drunk to consent to that transaction - I was robbed!"

Willing is quite clear. If an action is what one wills it is obviously what one wishes and is done with their approval. Stop being so pedantic over semantics when really you know what he's talking about.

Rape has always been about force. If a person is not consenting but is made to have sex anyway (they would have to be if not consenting), they are being forced. If a person is not forced, then they are doing it of their own volition. If there is no force, physical or otherwise, there is no rape.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Nottie)
      No one is saying racism doesn't exist. But being called Danny instead of Dami is hardly a racism. Monkey calls are not okay, but you can't call every occurrence of rudeness a racism.
      I have similar things happening to me too and I'm a white girl.
      Well done for choosing the only instance where it isn't real racism. All the other instances including racial profiling is a real issue that is usually addressed by white conservatives with the standard mockery and sarcasm. It's not going to change and that is something people of colour have accepted.

EVERY instance of monkey call is racism. It's gone far beyond rudeness.

Given that you havent said its racism, im assuming that is the standard rudeness within student culture. By saying that "monkey calls" are rudeness and not racism it is clear that you've hardly had to experience explicit or implicit racism. Racist white students and the culture that is spurred from it is not okay at all.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by NickLCFC)

These experiences, assuming they're all true, aren't particularly bad as far as racism goes. I'm not excusing them, but a lot worse could happen to you than being called a monkey or hearing fried chicken references. I'm assuming these are the worst stories they could find, because if there was anything more serious, that's what we'd be reading about.

ReputationRep:
      Reading that makes my chest feel tight.

It feels worse when students behave in such an ignorant and obnoxious manner, because they haven't got a lack of intelligence or education as an excuse. They have no excuse for their ignorance, it's just pure venom with them. They literally should know better.

I feel genuinely sad for those black students, and hope they get some form of justice.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Dandaman1)
      I'll use the excuse of being drunk as a skunk next time I make an impulse buy. "Officer, I was too drunk to consent to that transaction - I was robbed!"

Willing is quite clear. If an action is what one wills it is obviously what one wishes and is done with their approval. Stop being so pedantic over semantics when really you know what he's talking about.

Rape has always been about force. If a person is not consenting but is made to have sex anyway (they would have to be if not consenting), they are being forced. If a person is not forced, then they are doing it of their own volition. If there is no force, physical or otherwise, there is no rape.
      You make rather silly points in a unsophisticated manner and totally misunderstand the concept of consent. Rape has never been about force. It is about consent. The notion that the law in a matter as complicated as sexual offences could be distilled so easily into 'Forced' and 'Not Forced' is, frankly, ridiculous.

I suggest before you try answering any further questions on points of law you at least attempt to acquaint yourself with the relevant statute and case law first. I appreciate that you are Canadian and may not be familiar with our law, but it's probably best not to proclaim on it if this is the case.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/42/contents

ReputationRep:
      These experiences, assuming they're all true, aren't particularly bad as far as racism goes. I'm not excusing them, but a lot worse could happen to you than being called a monkey or hearing fried chicken references. I'm assuming these are the worst stories they could find, because if there was anything more serious, that's what we'd be reading about.
      You just don't get it, do you.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Twinpeaks)
      You just don't get it, do you.
      Not for rape, not for racism.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by cherryred90s)
      What are you mixed with?
      What are you mixed with? Nice wording.

ReputationRep:
      If these people feel they can't have a rapport with their tutors and professors because they are the 'wrong' skin colour, then they are the real racists in this situation.

We're supposed to be moving away from this way of thinking and seeing each other as equal human beings. But these students actually seak to reinforce racial boundaries and division. They are more race-obsessed than anyone.

And despite attending univerties that will bend over backwards to accommodate their insane demands and pander constantly, they seem to have it in their heads that they're attending college in 1960s Alabama, such is their level of self-righteous 'anti-racist' fanaticism and inflated sense of perpetual victimhood.
      It is nor in their interests to end racism as they will not have an excuse to fall back on for explaining their failings.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Palmyra)
      1. What ethnic group generally does best at university? Asians
      2. What ethnic group is least represented amongst lecturers at universities? Asians

Yeah but the Asian student population at university is (at least judging by my experience) significantly higher than the black population. Some courses actually have a majority of Asian students, and there tends to be a lot more of a student presence for Asian students in regards to societies/ EC.

So if there was a relation between lack of Asian teaching staff and student performance, I feel this would be attenuated by the much larger Asian peer group, which would provide significant support. I would argue that black students don't have that to the same extent.

Also, a racial Asian stereotype is that Asians are brainy and hard working, that doesn't apply to black students. And the literature suggests that expression of stereotypes does impact behaviour for the better or worse, depending on the particular stereotype.

ReputationRep:
      You make rather silly points in a unsophisticated manner and totally misunderstand the concept of consent. Rape has never been about force. It is about consent. The notion that the law in a matter as complicated as sexual offences could be distilled so easily into 'Forced' and 'Not Forced' is, frankly, ridiculous.

I suggest before you try answering any further questions on points of law you at least attempt to acquaint yourself with the relevant statute and case law first. I appreciate that you are Canadian and may not be familiar with our law, but it's probably best not to proclaim on it if this is the case.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/42/contents
      We're just playing word games. The whole reason rape is considered wrong and illegal is because of the trauma caused by the loss of power and control over one's own body, and the harm caused by being violated in such a way.

If it is one's will to be engaging in sex, then it must be consensual. A person can't be doing something willingly but not be consenting to it at the same time. Volunteering oneself to have sex without one's own consent would be a contradiction, because you're already giving it the OK.

You can't consent to being forced, either, and if you're being forced, you're not consenting.

It's not a hard concept to understand. You know what is meant here.

ReputationRep:
      One student commented: “I find it hard to tell a white teacher my problems.”
      More accurate headline: Minority students are doing worse because they create a culture of anxiety in their head over issues that aren't real.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.