Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Culture of racism amongst white students at Bristol Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    Without wanting to derail the thread, isn't that sexist? To suggest that when both parties are intoxicated it become the males fault seems rather strange and would suggest women aren't capable of making the decision to say no?
    This is absolutely true, a woman should be equally guilty, but sadly the laws are stacked against men these days.

If a man is drunk but woman is sober she should be sentenced for equal to rape. Naming rape only for penile is sexist and unfair on men.

If a woman goes out and gets drunk and CHOOSES to have sex with someone its not rape- that's just what irresponsible feckless weak minded girls say, who can't take RESPONSIBILITY for their OWN ACTIONS.

If its really true that women can't legally give consent when they are drunk- then they are assisting crime by getting drunk and trying to tempt men into sex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottie)
    No one is saying racism doesn't exist. But being called Danny instead of Dami is hardly a racism. Monkey calls are not okay, but you can't call every occurrence of rudeness a racism.
    I have similar things happening to me too and I'm a white girl.
    Dami is literally pronounced D-A-M-M-Y. Are you seriously saying this is too hard to say???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheExtrovertGod)
    What's wrong with this? I get my name converted into Hispanic for laughs all the time (it's German). It doesn't seem racist, just some people like nicknames and stuff
    For you it might be fine (are you hispanic or german just for clarification?) but for others it can be quite a big issue. You've just joined uni, made some new friends and they just want to change the name you want to be called? Also there are many cases where a name is very hard to say, I'm Nigerian I've seen that happen. But in this case, Dami is not even a hard name to pronounce AT ALL. Therein lies the problem. Why change someone's name or ask to when the name is so simple to pronounce. Furthermore Dami is the short form of the longer name and so it is already a nickname so to speak...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    This is true. It's cultural rather than racial, but it's still real. The stereotype came about as a result of that. So the "stereotypes dictate how well people do" shtick doesn't wash. Stereotypes are descriptive, not prescriptive.
    You've just assumed that to be the case, but are you just expressing opinion, or have you actually read the academic literature on this and formed an opinion based on knowledge?

It's probably among the most widely studied areas in Psychology, ever heard of the stereotype threat?

Many studies for example, find that compared to control, female Asian maths performance on a task is reduced when negative gender stereotypes are highlighted. However performance is higher than control when the positive Asian stereotype is made salient.

That is just one instance, one example, but research has found it be a resilient, and strong effect. It occurs across a range of contexts, and social groups.

So actually yeah stereotypes do dictate how well we do.
    And that is why even subtle but enduring stereotypes can have damaging consequences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RealLifeEducator)
    Dami is literally pronounced D-A-M-M-Y. Are you seriously saying this is too hard to say???
    I'd say Ania isn't difficult either but apparently it is

ReputationRep:
    Maybe people do try to find out more about you?
    I am a foreign student, I speak with horrible English accent and I often get mocked for that.
    I get questions about life back at home. I come from an ex-communist country and sometimes people still ask stuff like 'd you have taxis back there?' but I don't get upset. They are just trying to find out more, they may not realise its rather a touchy subject and its not nice when you have to explain that home is almost identical to the UK, but we drive on the right side of the road.
    People don't know how to pronounce my name, sometimes they call me by the British equivalent. But I don't get upset, I can't pronouce some words either and that's okay.
    I get introduced as 'Thats X, shes not British but shes cool for an European'. But its okay, I come from a different culture that tends to be considered 'lame' here.

Although being called monkey or having people move away from you is racist and wrong, I think you are overreacting in some instances too. People want to get to know you. They don't want to offend you so they ask you stuff to understand you more. They can't pronouce your name, because it may be weird af, but thats not their fault.

My point is, some people are straight ass mean, some consider it banter, but just because you are black doesn't make everything racist. White people experience simialr situations too. So do Asians and Arabs.
    See below

ReputationRep:
    Maybe people do try to find out more about you?
    I am a foreign student, I speak with horrible English accent and I often get mocked for that.
    I get questions about life back at home. I come from an ex-communist country and sometimes people still ask stuff like 'd you have taxis back there?' but I don't get upset. They are just trying to find out more, they may not realise its rather a touchy subject and its not nice when you have to explain that home is almost identical to the UK, but we drive on the right side of the road.
    People don't know how to pronounce my name, sometimes they call me by the British equivalent. But I don't get upset, I can't pronouce some words either and that's okay.
    I get introduced as 'Thats X, shes not British but shes cool for an European'. But its okay, I come from a different culture that tends to be considered 'lame' here.

Although being called monkey or having people move away from you is racist and wrong, I think you are overreacting in some instances too. People want to get to know you. They don't want to offend you so they ask you stuff to understand you more. They can't pronouce your name, because it may be weird af, but thats not their fault.

My point is, some people are straight ass mean, some consider it banter, but just because you are black doesn't make everything racist. White people experience simialr situations too. So do Asians and Arabs.
    I am way too old not to make a difference between innocent curiosity and mocking! If you open your mouth to ask me if we still live in caves, yet your dumb ass has access to google and can check before you speak, you are a racist and cannot hide behind curiosity! We are not in 1900; we are in an era where pretty much everything comes up on google. You must be the dumbest person if you still think that because I am black, I live in a cave and eat raw meat and wild animals and you must even be dumber if you think that it is such an extra ordinary thing for me, a black person, to be in a class with white people. And so on and so forth!

It is easy for you to say "I think you are overreacting in some instances" and I can try to justify why I am not. But like I already said, i no longer have time and energy to explain myself to people who deny racist encounters. It is tiring and I would rather use my energy for something else.

ReputationRep:
    Racism, according to people is not such a big issue...! But still I think victims of this have long term confidence & hesitation problems......!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RealLifeEducator)
    But apparently "names were changed" so perhaps this wasn't the actual name in question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Priscal)
    Really outlawed you say? I don't think so, the laws are the biggest racist of all time.

Easier for you to say because you're not affected, it's even high in this side of UK (Scotland).

The laws support racism and that's fact.
    Does it? I'm studying law and I haven't seen any 'it's ok to discriminate against black people' statutes. Please do tell me where there is laws that 'support racism'? What statute and section? I will read it and get back to you.

I don't doubt events of this nature happen (not reporting it is dumb and unhelpful as well as casting doubts, throwing out anecdotal evidence is risk free - false reports and malicious prosecution are crimes so if people tail off before exposing themselves to risk it's suspicious. I wouldn't not report a burglar in case I got prosecuted for filing a false police report because I wouldn't believe there to be enough evidence I made it up, which there would not be) but why is it always used to validate 'a culture of racism?' Some jerkoff gets drunk, or someone decides to be 'edgy' and obnoxious, and throws out racial epithets because they annoy minorities to the nth degree (I'm not saying that's wrong but pointing out if you call a white person 'cracker' they'll laugh or look a bit bemused, as a part Italian I take more offense to my family being had a go at than the average Brit etc etc) and all of a sudden the entire institution and everyone in it is racist. It's too large a leap in logic and is much of the reason people argue with such posts. If you take four incidents to go 'there's a culture of racism' it's not a validation of what you're saying. A lot of people got hit with footballs in my school days, does that mean there was a culture of 'football violence' discriminating against the 'non-footballers?' or does it mean something happened and those individual incidents should be addressed.

Obviously this is terrible but this whole 'people are racist without even knowing it' everything is racist hyperbole puts people off because in no small part its never applied consistently. At my Uni I got called 'white boy' when I accidentally walked in to someone - is that a culture of black racism against whites (from reports it's not an isolated incident) or is it an individual event of someone being a moron? Some of the examples are stupid too, I get disproportionately pulled over, searched at clubs and followed by security because being from a working class background I look 'a bit criminal' (this being a quote from a security guard), speak 'badly' and have an atypical haircut in addition to being tall and quite large. It draws attention. Is that classism? And does it really matter, it's a minor inconvenience at worst.

(Original post by Palmyra)
    This is based on a "study" by SOAS and this article is just hilarious:

Do underachieving BME (mainly Black, in practice) students really think that if they had BME lecturers they would suddenly witness a significant improvement in their intellectual capabilities (and thus academic performance)?

Instead of feeling "excluded" because they cannot tell their tutors their personal problems (because they do not share the same skin colour), I would suggest they instead adopt a more introspective approach to identifying the causes of their failures.
    This person further highlights the clear issues. Their methodology of obtaining these conclusions is thick and some of the reasons they bring up for feeling 'discriminated against' or whatever is stupid. I don't share cultural affinity with my lecturers and tutors, but I don't think that would be a reason for me to cite if I fail my degree (I think there is some legitimate discussion about the unnecessary conventions of using certain words and the airheaded meaningless abstraction for the sake of pretending some outdated or incorrect rubbish is valid because a smart person said it once - indeed I think the education system is a bit of a farce - but that isn't what is being said, it's simply being accused on racism because of reasons not actually validated)

(Original post by samikhan007)
    Racism, according to people is not such a big issue...! But still I think victims of this have long term confidence & hesitation problems......!
    PRSOM.......!

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe some of the comments on here... Looking at the video only, there clearly is something going on at Bristol University and if the university hasn't had any complaints they need to question why... because their complaints procedures and support they've put in place are clearly not working. They do need to be a bit more proactive in that sense. The university representative making the university's case on TV tonight was full of excuses and platitudes... not good enough!
    Racism, just like other forms of discrimination, making 'fun' of people and badgering/bullying are not acceptable, even at a low level. If nothing else, they promote a permissive culture in any institution.
    I think some of you have quite a bit of maturing to do. I can't believe the sticks and stones comment for instance (I dearly hope s/he's not a psychology student!!). 'Sticks and stones' is the most inaccurate saying in the English language. Physical wounds heal far more quickly than those inflicted by words. If someione is being called names etc.. over and over and over again, it affects their self esteem, their feeling of self worth and standing in the world, in the worst cases leading to personality disorders, depression or even suicide if it goes too far. The person making the stick and stones comment apparently doesn't believe cyber bullying isn't real either if s/he really thinks words can't hurt you. The effects of bullying and cyber bullying have been documented over and over again. I hope you're never a victim of ongoing, long term discrimination, bullying etc...
    In addition to that, while I do believe that studies have their place, complaints (race related or related to other issues) should be handled on a case by case basis, whether there has been a study or not.

(and no, I'm not black)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    Even if I waved my magic wand and removed all racism from university campuses, we'd still be hearing about racism on university campuses.
    Of course. And you are a nice person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    its being nasty, nasty people are everywhere.

it isnt terrible because it doesnt cause actual lost , other than hurt feelings.
    So they should just "man up" right?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.