Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Favourite Dog Type/Dog You Want Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What is your favourite type of dog and/or a type of dog you would like? I have sympathy for French bulldogs and pugs because of all their health problems and if it wasn't for they health problems I would probably want one but my favourite has to be a mix of havanese and shih tzu.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm more of a cat person but I still love dogs :teehee: I'd love another Yorkie. They are my favourite breed and my Yorkie died in 2015 :cry2:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Husky.

Love them
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    those big chubby husky, not husky but the cute looking one.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely love my husky x malamute. In the future I would like to own a German Shepherd, Akita, Doberman or Rottweiler. Also love Pitbulls, it's just unfortunate that their reputation has led to them being illegal in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    those big chubby husky, not husky but the cute looking one.
    Alaskan Malamutes <3. They're far better temperamentally than huskies too.

ReputationRep:
    Would love a pom or toy poodle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Corbynista)
    Seems you like big dogs Personally, I believe their is no such thing as a dangerous dog, it is the owner not the dog that leads to it becoming dangerous.
    I love big dogs!
    Nice to know that there are sensible people still around! A dog can only learn from what it's been taught. If it only knows violence and fear, it will be defensive and nervous.
    I don't think banning dog breeds is the solution as they just make those breeds more 'desirable' to the wrong type of people. I'd be interested to know what other people thought about the matter?

ReputationRep:
    Chow Chow... coolest doggo ever!!

ReputationRep:
    My ultimate favourite dog (and the dog I have).... Rottweiler

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatashaRoebuck)
    I love big dogs!
    Nice to know that there are sensible people still around! A dog can only learn from what it's been taught. If it only knows violence and fear, it will be defensive and nervous.
    I don't think banning dog breeds is the solution as they just make those breeds more 'desirable' to the wrong type of people. I'd be interested to know what other people thought about the matter?
    Banning isn't a solution but I see why this solution was chosen. If the government didn't place a ban, every bite made by a pitbulll would have been media-ised(made that word up) until a ban was brought into place. The media plays a massive role. You never hear of rage syndrome in cocker spaniels in the news do you??

Perhaps, its more of a fear of the breed due to lack of education which results in the negative outlook of a dog.

Its hard because I would have liked to have seen all owners of Pitfalls (and all powerful breeds) given an education on the breed itself, health concerns and most importantly training. However, those who are irresponsible owners aren't going to registered their dog (and would be the people you most want to target). Therefore, my idea doesn't contribute to the problem effectively enough. Plus it would be mighty costly.

I never describe dogs as this as dangerous, I refer to them as powerful.

ReputationRep:
    I am sorry to hear about your loss. I have never had a dog myself but I think I would definitely want one when I am settled. I also want to challenge and hopefully eradicate the problems facing dogs these days due to inbreeding.
    What sort of problems are you referring to?

ReputationRep:
    Pointers!

ReputationRep:
    I love Huskeys, labradors and German shephards. So cuddly and friendly. I just couldn't walk them far, would logistically need a dog that I wouldn't need to walk for miles everyday.

ReputationRep:
    Breed is unimportant. Rescue dogs are best
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatashaRoebuck)
    Also love Pitbulls, it's just unfortunate that their reputation has led to them being illegal in the UK.
    My neighbor has a pitbull (I live in the US) and she is the sweetest dog ever. She's pretty big and very strong but obedient and takes food from your hand so gently.

I like beagles and Belgian malinois dogs. Both are used by the police so when I see K9 units I always want to stop and be like "awwwww ".

ReputationRep:
    Blue ACD.

Hard working and furiously loyal.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Honestly love so many different breeds. I had a Chihuahua x Poodle and he was so sweet. Also loved my Lhasa Apso to pieces. I have a Pug x Boston Terrier at the moment and he's great. I'd love a Samoyed, a Whippet, a Pomeranian, or an American Eskimo dog. My first dog was the loveliest I've ever met though. He was very mixed, and had a bit of Old English Sheepdog, Lurcher, and Border Collie in him that we know of, but probably more :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Well one health problem they face is they have been bred to have a flattened nose and this causes them breathing problems. They can also have all sorts of diseases and deformities due to them being so inbred. I would recommend watching Pedigree Dogs Exposed.
    Brachycephalic Airway Syndrome.

ReputationRep:
    Well one health problem they face is they have been bred to have a flattened nose and this causes them breathing problems. They can also have all sorts of diseases and deformities due to them being so inbred. I would recommend watching Pedigree Dogs Exposed.
    Bred to have a 'flattened nose' is not solely a result of inbreeding. Its mostly a result of them breeding that characteristic into the breed. If you breed a dog which has a 'flattened nose' which is no where near related to another dog with a 'flattened nose' you will still get a 'flattened nose'.

I've watched it, very bias. Some aspects are true. The problem I have is it paints ALL pedigree breeders of ALL breeds with the same brush, and obviously wasn't produced to provide information. It was produced purely to shock and gain viewers.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.