Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

civil service competencies- Seeing the big picture Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am curently applying for a role as an admin officer at Bristol. However, i am having difficulty figuring out examples for 'seeing the bigger picture' & 'making effective decisions'. I require some examples that reflect these competencies, as i am finding it difficult to reflect such examples by just looking at the framework.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just wondering if you got anywhere with your competencies.

I am struggling to understand the framework for seeing the bigger picture and cannot think of any examples that may be relevant.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayesh_123)
    Hi, just wondering if you got anywhere with your competencies.

I am struggling to understand the framework for seeing the bigger picture and cannot think of any examples that may be relevant.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    To be frank, if you don't have an example of the competency required then maybe you shouldn't apply for that role. You will also be asked about that competency in the interview, not just the application, so it is important that you have a good example which you can talk about easily.
    Seeing the bigger picture is about being aware of how the work you have done affects the organisation as a whole and how you are helping to further the aims of the organisation. This can be recommending a new way of doing something that saves time allowing people to focus on other things which push the organisation forward, or prioritising a certain piece of work because you were aware of its impact on other parts of the organisation.

ReputationRep:
    I have got examples but I just didn't know how to fit my examples to the civil service framework or if they fit, as on a previous CS interview my competencies were checked by my line manager who said they were really good but the feedback from the interview said the examples fit with other competencies.

I am currently working for CS but applying at another department. Got my interview this Friday so just trying to make sure my examples fit the correct competency.

Thank you for explaining what seeing the bigger picture means as I had a completely different idea to that. I think my example will be okay now I hope!

(Original post by Marath)
    To be frank, if you don't have an example of the competency required then maybe you shouldn't apply for that role. You will also be asked about that competency in the interview, not just the application, so it is important that you have a good example which you can talk about easily.
    Seeing the bigger picture is about being aware of how the work you have done affects the organisation as a whole and how you are helping to further the aims of the organisation. This can be recommending a new way of doing something that saves time allowing people to focus on other things which push the organisation forward, or prioritising a certain piece of work because you were aware of its impact on other parts of the organisation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.