Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the best pet to have? Watch

ReputationRep:
    In terms of being interesting to interact with, maintenance costs, and just general fluffiness.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    goldfish

ReputationRep:
    a human

RABBITS!!!!!

All the fluffiness you could ever need, absolutely adorable and relatively low maintenance

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
      Long Haired German Shepard Loyal and very friendlyName:  gs.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  194.1 KB
      • Political Ambassador
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      A TSR blob

ReputationRep:
      Cats are not only fairly low maintenance but you can also handle them and have a solid bond with them (well, most of them haha).

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by alanaro)
      In terms of being interesting to interact with, maintenance costs, and just general fluffiness.
      Kestrel
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      Cats

They get a bad rep of being selfish, uncaring and distant but they just show their afffection in more sutble ways than dogs do I prefer this because as much as I love dogs and miss the pet dogs I've had in life, they are generally too needy and clingy for my own preference. Dogs also need walked every day and can't be left alone for too long which isn't always practical for a pet owner so there's another few points that are an advantage for having a cat. Cats are also very fun to interact with, though trust must be built with a cat. They don't automatically let their guards down to you in the blink of an eye unlike dogs. You can play with lazer pointers with them, give them empty boxes to lie in (cats seem to love boxes :laugh: ), watch them go crazy on catnip, get them to follow you around the house with a piece of string and they will try and catch it, give them the cardboard tube instead of toilet roll to play with and best of all, cuddling up with a cat is the best thing ever, especially when you can feel them purring :love:

Cats are also cheap to keep. I have 4 and I spent about £10/15 a week on food for them - if you only have one cat then it'll be a lot less but £15 isn't too steep either. Cat litter is very cheap too and a big bag lasts for weeks. To save more money on the litter front, you can always train your cat to use the human toilet with a special toilet seat called The Litter Kwitter. Two of my cats are now human toilet trained :teehee:

If you do decide to go for a pet - be it a cat, dog, rabbit, hamster etc please consider looking for a pet in your local shelter as many animals are looking for a home. Rescue animals have a taboo against them that they must be 'damaged goods' but the vast majority of rescue animals come to the shelter through no fault of their own and not because of abuse - usually its because their owner died, their owner couldn't afford them etc. As the saying goes - "adopt, don't shop" :yep:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Zargabaath)
      This thread shouldn't include pics. It's not fair to have to argue rationally against cuteness. You'll lose every time.

ReputationRep:
      A Geordie mate.

ReputationRep:
      A dog, they're loyal, loving, you can play with them and they actually appreciate you.
      • Political Ambassador
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by zargabaath)
      NOOO, my weakness dfasdmifsdm

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by RainbowMan)
      This thread shouldn't include pics. It's not fair to have to argue rationally against cuteness. You'll lose every time.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Spock's Socks)
      Cats

They get a bad rep of being selfish, uncaring and distant but they just show their afffection in more sutble ways than dogs do I prefer this because as much as I love dogs and miss the pet dogs I've had in life, they are generally too needy and clingy for my own preference. Dogs also need walked every day and can't be left alone for too long which isn't always practical for a pet owner so there's another few points that are an advantage for having a cat. Cats are also very fun to interact with, though trust must be built with a cat. They don't automatically let their guards down to you in the blink of an eye unlike dogs. You can play with lazer pointers with them, give them empty boxes to lie in (cats seem to love boxes :laugh: ), watch them go crazy on catnip, get them to follow you around the house with a piece of string and they will try and catch it, give them the cardboard tube instead of toilet roll to play with and best of all, cuddling up with a cat is the best thing ever, especially when you can feel them purring :love:

Cats are also cheap to keep. I have 4 and I spent about £10/15 a week on food for them - if you only have one cat then it'll be a lot less but £15 isn't too steep either. Cat litter is very cheap too and a big bag lasts for weeks. To save more money on the litter front, you can always train your cat to use the human toilet with a special toilet seat called The Litter Kwitter. Two of my cats are now human toilet trained :teehee:

If you do decide to go for a pet - be it a cat, dog, rabbit, hamster etc please consider looking for a pet in your local shelter as many animals are looking for a home. Rescue animals have a taboo against them that they must be 'damaged goods' but the vast majority of rescue animals come to the shelter through no fault of their own and not because of abuse - usually its because their owner died, their owner couldn't afford them etc. As the saying goes - "adopt, don't shop" :yep:
      Oh my gosh! Finally I found someone who successfully trained their cat(s) to use the human toilet!! I'm currently trying to, it's so hard to though! Is it okay if I PM you for questions?

Oh, and OP. Cats are the best hands down. They catch and eat any spiders, flies, mice, anything else creepy and crawly that you wouldn't want around.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Zargabaath)
      It looks cool, but inside it's evil.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by l'etranger)
      A dog, they're loyal, loving, you can play with them and they actually appreciate you.
      what breed?
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Sabby888)
      Oh my gosh! Finally I found someone who successfully trained their cat(s) to use the human toilet!! I'm currently trying to, it's so hard to though! Is it okay if I PM you for questions?
      Yeah of course!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by serah.exe)
      NOOO, my weakness dfasdmifsdm
      [weakness to pussy joke]

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.