Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So basically i got a C in my gcse mock maths exam and an A* in physics. I want to do physics A level so i was wondering is the maths content hard because i am good at maths but idk why in my exams i dont seem to do good. I am good with the maths in physics aswell and do fine in exam.Any advice on if doing a level physics is a good idea? Or even a level maths?
    Thank you, your answers would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misaki24)
    So basically i got a C in my gcse mock maths exam and an A* in physics. I want to do physics A level so i was wondering is the maths content hard because i am good at maths but idk why in my exams i dont seem to do good. I am good with the maths in physics aswell and do fine in exam.Any advice on if doing a level physics is a good idea? Or even a level maths?
    Thank you, your answers would be much appreciated
    A level physics does require quite a bit of a maths ability. To do well ideally you would be working at getting an A in GCSE maths, due to some of the topics in the course. A level maths isn't necessary, however in my year the people who do the best are those that take both. (However those who only take A level physics aren't doing badly by any means, all predicted a B or above at A2). It will depend on the exam board, but in AQA the AS level isn't too heavy on the maths, however at A2 there is further mechanics, along with fields which are heavy on maths.

I think that if you work hard on your maths you should be okay. The maths within physics is different to maths as it is applied, and that might be easier for you.

ReputationRep:
    Maths is generally one of the strongest academic A Level subjects. If you really want to do Physics at A Level then taking Maths is a choice you'll never regret along with M1 module which will heavily support you in the mechanics modules of Physics. In my Physics class, I can see a clear difference between the people who do and don't do A Level Maths.

Even though you got an A* in your Physics mock, the real question is do you enjoy learning about physics as a subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emduck)
    A level physics does require quite a bit of a maths ability. To do well ideally you would be working at getting an A in GCSE maths, due to some of the topics in the course. A level maths isn't necessary, however in my year the people who do the best are those that take both. (However those who only take A level physics aren't doing badly by any means, all predicted a B or above at A2). It will depend on the exam board, but in AQA the AS level isn't too heavy on the maths, however at A2 there is further mechanics, along with fields which are heavy on maths.

I think that if you work hard on your maths you should be okay. The maths within physics is different to maths as it is applied, and that might be easier for you.
    Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManLike007)
    Maths is generally one of the strongest academic A Level subjects. If you really want to do Physics at A Level then taking Maths is a choice you'll never regret along with M1 module which will heavily support you in the mechanics modules of Physics. In my Physics class, I can see a clear difference between the people who do and don't do A Level Maths.

Even though you got an A* in your Physics mock, the real question is do you enjoy learning about physics as a subject?
    Yes! i really love physics, it is my favorite science. So, would me doing a level maths be a good idea regarding the fact i got a C in my mock? People often tell me that the jump is really big and its reccomended to do with B grade, which discourages me, but then people say it is highly beneficial for physics, i love maths aswell. My only problem is maths exam-idk what seems to be the problem but i have a weakness for it. but i am practicing lots of past papers under exam condition to familiarize myself and be more confident in exams.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! i really love physics, it is my favorite science. So, would me doing a level maths be a good idea regarding the fact i got a C in my mock? People often tell me that the jump is really big and its reccomended to do with B grade, which discourages me, but then people say it is highly beneficial for physics, i love maths aswell. My only problem is maths exam-idk what seems to be the problem but i have a weakness for it. but i am practicing lots of past papers under exam condition to familiarize myself and be more confident in exams.
    I would definitely take A Level Maths if possible. It is highly beneficial as you said.
    You'll get used to the exam style questions eventually. Keep on practicing with your GCSE Maths papers, it'll definitely pay off.

Just a brief note, assuming you'd like to go to a top respected uni in the future, when I was researching courses back in Year 11 and 12 I did not come across any course that required A Level Physics without A Level Maths. (I didn't look for foundation years though so that may differ). So imo, I personally found that A Level Physics won't open up your options for uni unless you have A Level Maths.

ReputationRep:
    A level maths is completely different from GCSE maths, I probably couldn't do some of the GCSE questions if I saw them now. It is a step up, however because it is different to GCSE maths, a lot of people struggle regardless of GCSE grades. I did better at AS then people with an A* in GCSE maths when I got an A (and weeks before my GCSEs I was only getting B's!). I am sure that with time you will be able to get over your exam weakness!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emduck)
    A level maths is completely different from GCSE maths, I probably couldn't do some of the GCSE questions if I saw them now. It is a step up, however because it is different to GCSE maths, a lot of people struggle regardless of GCSE grades. I did better at AS then people with an A* in GCSE maths when I got an A (and weeks before my GCSEs I was only getting B's!). I am sure that with time you will be able to get over your exam weakness!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thank u

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.