Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think that Brexit will be a good thing for this country long term? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you think that Brexit will be a good thing for this country?
    Brexit will be a good thing
    48.39%
    Brexit will be a bad thing
    51.61%

ReputationRep:
    In the long term ie the next decade do you think that Brexit will be a good thing for this country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karl pilkington)
    In the long term ie the next decade do you think that the EU will be a good thing for this country?
    Your question doesn't really make sense; are you trying to say will the EU be good for the country in the long term, if we would remain, or are you saying will brexit be a good thing for the country?

ReputationRep:
    no, but for the things I think it will be bad for others will disagree (except for the direction I think our economy will be headed). i'm concerned with the way the world is becoming at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSE2016Troop)
    Your question doesn't really make sense; are you trying to say will the EU be good for the country in the long term, if we would remain, or are you saying will brexit be a good thing for the country?
    sorry I meant Brexit
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Short term, at the moment it's not, however I can't judge long term as it hasn't obviously occurred yet but there is a possibility it could benefit us all, just have to ride it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karl pilkington)
    sorry I meant Brexit
    Well then in my opinion, in the long term yes it will be. A main argument of the brexit campaign was the benefits britain would feel from the other trade deals we could have outside the EU. I think that if we do have the hard brexit that is looking very likely, in the short term there could possibly be damaging economic effects just because of the uncertainty of what is going to happen when we have left the EU. However, I believe that in the long term we would form trade deals with all these other countries that are 'already queing up' and aswell have at least some form of trade deal with the EU countries just due to the importance of our economy on there's and the fact that it would be very stubborn and hurtful for those EU countries as well if they chose to not form a trade deal with us. I think that in the long term the EU is destined for failure and the massive grip they have on all the EU countries will start to loosen, allowing for trade deals with other countries such as with britain being allowed.

ReputationRep:
    Long term we'll be fine

but the next 10 and probably 15 years, boy...

ReputationRep:
    We will probably vote to rejoin in 10 years. (assuming France doesn't leave)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)
    I doubt the EU would let us back in.

ReputationRep:
    I think even long term it's hard to make a definite call, but I'd assume we'd be somewhat stable, hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)
    lmaoooooooooo this just won't happen.

ReputationRep:
    lmaoooooooooo this just won't happen.
    "lmaoooooooooo" why?

ReputationRep:
    Nope. We won't be. By the time we recover from this mess other countries would have made great strides in their development. And at this point we're no longer protected by the EU and its protectionist policies. I suspect large amounts of trade will have moved to Asia as the focal point where theyre experiencing extremely fast growth. We're already struggling to attract FDI even within the EU and the decrease in corporation tax is a sign of how much confidence the govt has in us.

If you're going to think long term, you're going to have to think long term on a global prospective. And by the time we're back on our feet with trade deals corporations will no longer be interested in such a self interested protectionist country when they have the US.

The irony of brexiters is that they had so much pessimism for the EU but so much optimism for a post Brexit britain. They just choose to believe what feels good and history has always taught us that that thought process is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SubZero~)
    "lmaoooooooooo" why?
    Honestly, just even tell me how this would happen. Maybe, even maybe, this could possibly happen if the effects of us leaving were so catastrophic we were dependant on the EU like a baby and their mother but even if we did, we wouldn't join back that fast. It isn't just like a switch where in between a few years we just hop for a bit to test life on the outside then just hop back in. As well, at the rate the EU is going who would want to join them any time soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by econwarwicker)
    Nope. We won't be. By the time we recover from this mess other countries would have made great strides in their development. And at this point we're no longer protected by the EU and its protectionist policies. I suspect large amounts of trade will have moved to Asia as the focal point where theyre experiencing extremely fast growth. We're already struggling to attract FDI even within the EU and the decrease in corporation tax is a sign of how much confidence the govt has in us.

If you're going to think long term, you're going to have to think long term on a global prospective. And by the time we're back on our feet with trade deals corporations will no longer be interested in such a self interested protectionist country when they have the US.

The irony of brexiters is that they had so much pessimism for the EU but so much optimism for a post Brexit britain. They just choose to believe what feels good and history has always taught us that that thought process is ridiculous.
    I know this is a bit off topic haha but do you study econ at warwick?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, just even tell me how this would happen. Maybe, even maybe, this could possibly happen if the effects of us leaving were so catastrophic we were dependant on the EU like a baby and their mother but even if we did, we wouldn't join back that fast. It isn't just like a switch where in between a few years we just hop for a bit to test life on the outside then just hop back in. As well, at the rate the EU is going who would want to join them any time soon.
    Lol? The whole Brexit campaign was utterly misleading; in fact, both the stay and leave arguments were horrendously presented to the public. I'm pretty sure the two main factors that drove the vote the way it did was the flawed arguments against immigration AND the idea that approximately £350m would be pumped back into the NHS through leaving the EU, presumably by not having to pay any membership fees and what not. For all we know, the law on the referendum of the vote could change and within 10 years time, we could see a re-vote in play, no matter how unlikely that is. The EU has its benefits to us; free trade, freedom of movement of labour and capital, etc. Sure it's not likely we will end up in the EU again for a long time, however there is always a possibility. I seem to recall a government petition to re-vote on the EU referendum being started by someone who actually voted leave; on that basis, it shows how misinformed the UK really is about the effects of leaving the EU and how politicians and the media can be powerful tools that can easily sway people who are not educated about the consequences of such decisions.

ReputationRep:
    I know this is a bit off topic haha but do you study econ at warwick?
    lool no not yet but im going to either warwick or UCL for economics next year.

ReputationRep:
    lool no not yet but im going to either warwick or UCL for economics next year.
    Oh haha was just going to ask you on what it is like there, I am hoping to go to warwick for econ too.

ReputationRep:
    Oh haha was just going to ask you on what it is like there, I am hoping to go to warwick for econ too.
    Well at the open day it seemed awesome, wasnt amazing as a campus but the teaching was amazing with so much flexibility.

Whats your GCSEs/Alevels like?

ReputationRep:

I honestly think democracy is more important.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.