Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My BF looks like he is going to get a 2:2, would I be wrong to dump him? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palmyra)
    getting fat is not irreversible; if you are not there for your loved ones when things aren't good for them (i.e. only when things are rosy), then what's the point? anyone can be nice and supportive when everything is perfect, but when the going gets tough is when you really find out who you are.

[although i would concede that this generally makes more sense in a parent-child context, where obligations are owed by parents to their children, and perhaps less so for a bf-gf relationship (but post-marriage would be a closer analogy)]
    It's not my literal opinion.

If I married a girl I wouldn't do that to her, but she would have to be the sort I genuinely believe would stand by years of failure and poverty and would continue to believe in me (hypothetical btw) before I were even to marry her and I would tolerate fatness, sickness, morning no make-up face. Whereas girls who negotiate only on looks only deserve one thing. The flip side is that guys who marry only for their looks, deserve a trip to the divorce court. Believing all women are terrible people is very proletariat.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Desmond is getting a Desmond.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phlegmatic pig)
    He is sort of scoring around 57-62%, but I can't see him making the 2:1.
    What is wrong with you? I REALLY hope you're joking; you seem VERY shallow...

ReputationRep:
    Instead of dumping him you should encourage him by taking a break from your relationship ( not breakup) but give him time to study

ReputationRep:
    If you have to ask this question then you obviously don't love him at all... So might as well?

ReputationRep:
    do you want your children to be low fliers ?

ReputationRep:
    I hope he sees this and has an argument with you. He deserves better than someone willing to dump him over grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zangoose)
    I've hardly met any males who do psychology, if any. Not a good sign, TBH
    Gosh, I didn't realise it was 1956. Thanks for letting me know: I must get a pipe and make my wife tie a ribbon in her hair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Gosh, I didn't realise it was 1956. Thanks for letting me know: I must get a pipe and make my wife tie a ribbon in her hair.
    you've never had it so good

ReputationRep:
    Trolling?

Otherwise I can't believe you'd seriously ask this question.

Why are you with someone for the grade of degree they get?

Shouldn't you be examining him yourself instead of relying on outsiders?
    • TSR Support Team

(Original post by phlegmatic pig)
    He's studying psychology.
    Wow, why are you even with him if this is your attitude, let him go so he can find someone who actually appreciates him because you clearly don't.

ReputationRep:
    getting fat is not irreversible; if you are not there for your loved ones when things aren't good for them (i.e. only when things are rosy), then what's the point? anyone can be nice and supportive when everything is perfect, but when the going gets tough is when you really find out who you are.

[although i would concede that this generally makes more sense in a parent-child context, where obligations are owed by parents to their children, and perhaps less so for a bf-gf relationship (but post-marriage would be a closer analogy)]
    What if the going isn't tough and they're just lazy? I wouldn't dump someone due to their grades as I don't really think about what grades they're getting when I start dating them. xD
    But if someone really isn't trying, isn't doing well with no plan or back-up like a job then it'd be hard to stay with the person as no relationship should be based on one essentially carrying the other, bound to cause problems.
    Equally if they're trying or are having a hard time (meaning they are trying again or aren't usually as they are) then it'd be no reason to dump someone.

That might've came across as shallow in some parts but it's hard to explain. <_>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sinfonietta)
    His education should be irrelevant to the state of relationship. :/
    you can say that about everything then.
    Your education status reflects many things. Your intelligence, your ambition, if you are hard working or lazy....
    He may have a legitimate reason to do badly (aka depression, family issues, part time job), but if he can't get past 2:2 (which really isn't super super hard) because hes lazy then I don't see how its not a reason as good as any other to leave him.
    Especially if OP is an ambitious person
    • Political Ambassador

This is really sweet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC)
    This is really sweet.
    If only we had more posts like that, it might be a nicer place.
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by Reality Check)
    If only we had more posts like that, it might be a nicer place.
    True.

ReputationRep:
    The TSR thing to do... :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kravence)
    Might as well get it over with now, the relationship wasn't going to last anyway
    I was thinking that. Chances are OP, you've been thinking of splitting up with him anyway aside from using his degree as a reason, even if you think that is the only reason.

Just do it gently and with dignity for both of you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'etranger)
    I know it's a troll, but I actually agree, I would dump a girl if she ever got fat so I would expect the same if I were made redundant or whatever.
    I wouldn't dump a guy if he was made redundant, but I would if he became very fat with no intention of losing it...

Take a look at your gender stereotyping there. You've emphasised appearance for women, and career/ academic attainment for men.

Tsk tsk

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.