Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melanie Leconte)
    No just to you to stop saying that for maths ALL that is really important is the maths..I am sorry I don't have time to go through all the references to previous threads but I don't remember ever any of the Cambridge ATs saying ''ALL''.
    By then Christ's Admission, now Murray Edwards Admissions .
    .....for maths courses I think all they are going to care about is Maths, so it is fine to just be about maths and nothing else.
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...3619547&page=6

I don't have time to go through all the posts by all the admission representatives of Cambridge colleges in this forum, but I remember it wasn't just one post above (and all the posts jneill kindly dug up for your convenience) that they emphasised maths ability is the single most important thing they assess maths candidates with. They *may* look at other aspects of application, but I think it's safe to say non-maths elements would not be a game-changer in their decision.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)

I don't have time to go through all the posts by all the admission representatives of Cambridge colleges in this forum, but I remember it wasn't just one post above (and all the posts jneill kindly digged up for your convenience) that they emphasised maths ability is the single most important thing they assess maths candidates with. They *may* look at other aspects of application, but I think it's safe to say non-maths elements can be a game-changer in their decision.
    And just to add Melanie Leconte : this includes maths ability at interview and any at-interview tests.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I don't have time to go through all the posts by all the admission representatives of Cambridge colleges in this forum, but I remember it wasn't just one post above (and all the posts jneill kindly dug up for your convenience) that they emphasised maths ability is the single most important thing they assess maths candidates with. They *may* look at other aspects of application, but I think it's safe to say non-maths elements would not be a game-changer in their decision.
    I am really sorry, I've just login quickly to answer so forgive me that I don't go through a lot of details (and didn't mean to be rude tojneill but I doubt he dug up anything for my convenience, he has a habit to respond to my comments on any thread only to object, a clear pattern ).
    I remember the word ''ALL'' is used very carefully by the ATs and in the case of the PS yes but never seen anything saying that the decision is only based on Maths and ALL that matters is Maths. BTW they never come up with if you don't like the system go to the other place either
    FYI, I have a lot of respect for Cambridge ATs on TSR and their well measured, patient and witty comments

I am really sorry again and I don't mean to be rude to any one on here, but I have a lot of work to do and targets to meet so I wish you and Mr jneill well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    But so are humanities essays. They still get a mark.

There is a box available on the cover sheet for an interview score. It's just not always used. It should be.

I'd like to think there is some actual data behind Oxbridge's expensive investment in their interview systems.

(I know this has been discussed at length elsewhere in the forum previously... I just have a nagging feeling that it does remain an area of "concern", or maybe that should be "interest".)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There are a couple interesting articles on the internet about interviews and how effective they are as a means of selecting/deselecting applicants. Unlike admissions test, proposed plans for lack of AS, GCSE grades, contextualisation etc there seems to be a bit of a dearth of information about how interviews are scored or indeed attempts to make them more 'objective'.

ReputationRep:
    I am really sorry, I've just login quickly to answer so forgive me that I don't go through a lot of details (and didn't mean to be rude tojneill but I doubt he dug up anything for my convenience, he has a habit to respond to my comments on any thread only to object, a clear pattern ).
    I remember the word ''ALL'' is used very carefully by the ATs and in the case of the PS yes but never seen anything saying that the decision is only based on Maths and ALL that matters is Maths. BTW they never come up with if you don't like the system go to the other place either
    FYI, I have a lot of respect for Cambridge ATs on TSR and their well measured, patient and witty comments

I am really sorry again and I don't mean to be rude to any one on here, but I have a lot of work to do and targets to meet so I wish you and Mr jneill well.

So, does it mean jneill and all admission representatives in this forum are allowed to continue with their advice on what is crucial for maths applicants?

ReputationRep:
    So, does it mean jneill and all admission representatives in this forum are allowed to continue with their advice on what is crucial for maths applicants?

It is an open forum and everyone is allowed to express their opinions freely; I am not the one jumping from thread to thread speaking with authority!!

It is a thread about REGRET, the question is very clear and personally I am really interested to hear from the ONES who have been/are in Cambridge and either have regret or not. It is very annoying when I feel they are discouraged from expressing their views and I am discouraged from exploring more with them. I hope you understand

ReputationRep:
    It is an open forum and everyone is allowed to express their opinions freely; I am not the one jumping from thread to thread speaking with authority!!

It is a thread about REGRET, the question is very clear and personally I am really interested to hear from the ONES who have been/are in Cambridge and either have regret or not. It is very annoying when I feel they are discouraged from expressing their views and I am discouraged from exploring more with them. I hope you understand
    Yes, of course all views are welcome, as long as it's based on fact.

Spoiler:
    Show

A problem occurs when someone refuses to acknowledge their view/opinions was based on misunderstanding a fact/facts even if many people try to explain it with hard evidence.

There're so much myths/misconception about Cambridge admission system which is understandable because it's very very complicated system and many people who don't/can't be bothered to understand how complex it is tend to interpret what they can see in very simplistic way......and another myth is born.
    All the admission people and veteran TSR helpers like jneill and others are trying their best to stump out and correct those misunderstandings so that future applicants can have a fairer chance of success, not being misled by wrong info that's flying around everywhere, even at schools that send their students to Cambridge regularly.
    I was one of them until a few months ago but, to be frank, I got really tired of having to repeat same explainations again and again, year after year, so I left.
    But others remained and continues their effort. They are not doing it for their personal gain. They're doing it purely because they want to help.

Calling their effort 'a cult' etc. is not very nice way to show your gratitude, if you really feel thankful to them.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:

All views are welcome, of course, and equally, those views can be challenged too.

Just to remind you what my initial post on the topic of admissions was (highlighting the last para):

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...0&postcount=38
    (Original post by jneill)
    @auburnstar
    This, but just to add, there is only a limited number of spaces available so they do have to let some with real acadamic talent go. They can't offer/accept everyone.

Oh, and they do makes mistakes. Not many, but of course, sometimes the "better" candidate doesn't get in. It's a human process.
    You seem to think I hold a different view.

Anyway - you are right that this is getting us diverted from the OPs original question about regrets, and also their follow-up about "... is a 2.1 from Cambridge considedered better than a 1st from Bath?" (To which my post was, paraphrasing, "no", again a view I suspect you don't think I hold.)

If OP wishes I can move everything to a new thread - TBH all this could really live quite happily in the Offer Holders thread.

Alternatively I can lock it now as we seem to have done it all to death.

What say you jadeemma? It's your thread

ReputationRep:
    Yes, of course all views are welcome, as long as it's based on fact.

Spoiler:
    Show

A problem occurs when someone refuses to acknowledge their view/opinions was based on misunderstanding a fact/facts even if many people try to explain it with hard evidence.

There're so much myths/misconception about Cambridge admission system which is understandable because it's very very complicated system and many people who don't/can't be bothered to understand how complex it is tend to interpret what they can see in very simplistic way......and another myth is born.
    All the admission people and veteran TSR helpers like jneill and others are trying their best to stump out and correct those misunderstandings so that future applicants can have a fairer chance of success, not being misled by wrong info that's flying around everywhere, even at schools that send their students to Cambridge regularly.
    I was one of them until a few months ago but, to be frank, I got really tired of having to repeat same explainations again and again, year after year, so I left.
    But others remained and continues their effort. They are not doing it for their personal gain. They're doing it purely because they want to help.

Calling their effort 'a cult' etc. is not very nice way to show your gratitude, if you really feel thankful to them.

Let's not talk about others, let's talk about you
    I am thankful to you for some of the information regarding preparing to move to Cambridge (in due course), I am thankful to you for sharing some of your daughters experiences.....However, when many come and talk about the inequality of supervisions/academic support between colleges and you come up and dismiss it again and again...what is the aim?* Help? No because few realize it once they are in and feel disappointed. I respect and thank the ones who spoke about on TSR and the ones who pointed out to it on their vlogs; they have helped me to manage my expectations.

* You did dismiss Jack Wright' views on the this point on his YouTube Channel.
    It is nice to help others but make sure it is helpful and accurate.

I will leave you to carry on being helpful

ReputationRep:
    Let's not talk about others, let's talk about you
    I am thankful to you for some of the information regarding preparing to move to Cambridge (in due course), I am thankful to you for sharing some of your daughters experiences.....However, when many come and talk about the inequality of supervisions/academic support between colleges and you come up and dismiss it again and again...what is the aim?* Help? No because few realize it once they are in and feel disappointed. I respect and thank the ones who spoke about on TSR and the ones who pointed out to it on their vlogs; they have helped me to manage my expectations.

* You did dismiss Jack Wright' views on the this point on his YouTube Channel.
    It is nice to help others but make sure it is helpful and accurate.

I will leave you to carry on being helpful
    As far as I know (and my daughter is not the only cantab I know. She's just happened to be one of the most recent and closest. , differences of quality of supervisions between colleges and support they give to each subject changes a lot. There may be the element of funding involved to some extent. But to be honest, I really haven't heard anyone complaining it's because of their college's funding. So either all the people I happened to know were very lucky (they're at various colleges, some famously rich, some not so much) or the extent of influence caused by college funding is not as much as some may be assuming. We'll probably have to ask this question to one of representatives from the university, as their official line is all colleges are equal on academic front, I personally don't have any knowledge to dispute that claim.
    But 'equal' does not mean exactly the same. But that's not necessarily due to the difference of college policy/funding, etc. I know some DoS/supervisors are more supportive/helpful/better teacher than others. More willing to embrace their position as DoS/supervisors rather than treating it as a chore they have to do (and some do threat their job like that). But academic staff can move around colleges, just as a college's to support to a particular subject can change, too. Most of posters here are/were at cambridge for 3/4 years during their course, their view are based upon their personal experience they had in those years. Their input to this forum is invaluable because its their 'first hand experience' ( as you said) but it can be limited/biased in a way that that's often all they know, and those things changes. There's no guarantee what someone's experience at a college/a department will repeat next year.
    What I've been trying to do was to put those personal experiences in a broader perspective because I just happened to know many who are/were at Cambridge for many years, and have seen things don't stay the same and what one can see is not necessarily the only truth. . That's all.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to close this thread now.

If the OP (jadeemma ) would like it re-opened please PM me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.