Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this has been answered before or if its considered common sense but i would like to start studying A/As level maths at home (edexcel) but I'm unsure about how the units/modules work? How many do you have to do and which are best/most popular? Any help would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shergill123)
    Not sure if this has been answered before or if its considered common sense but i would like to start studying A/As level maths at home (edexcel) but I'm unsure about how the units/modules work? How many do you have to do and which are best/most popular? Any help would be appreciated.
    You need to do 3 modules for AS and another 3 for the full A Level. You need to do C1-4, then you have the option from Statistics, Mechanics and Decision Maths. Personally, I did D1 and S1. I'd advise you to look at the course content before choosing though.

ReputationRep:
    new spec maths is coming out next year so this is the final year you can sit as old spec maths.
    you do 3 modules for each year, so for As + A Levels you do 6 modules in total.
    out of 6 modules :
    -4 are core modules
    -2 are applied modules
    core modules include: Core 1,2,3 and 4 , of which you do 1 and 2 in the first year and 3 and 4 on your final year.
    applied modules include:
    Descision 1,2 / stats 1,2 and mechanics 1,2, of which you can do in 1:1 or 1:2 combinations
    (1:2 being of the same form e.g both being stats)

you get your final grade by calculating the average ums of 3 modules (in as)
    and 6 modules( in alevel)

-- if you get 480/600 ums overall you will get an A , to get an A* you need to get 90+%(and 480/600 ums of course) from the average of c3 and c4.

im self teaching myself (f.) maths either so good luck.

ReputationRep:
    and for your interest:
    i would do a 1:1 combination which will make it kind of easier.
    i would definitely reccomend M1 if you're doing Physics a level.
    Descision modules are not really maths-y you just learn basic algorithms but i would DEFINITELY NOT reccomend doing D2 if you were to do 1:2 combination

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leadheadsmith)
    You need to do 3 modules for AS and another 3 for the full A Level. You need to do C1-4, then you have the option from Statistics, Mechanics and Decision Maths. Personally, I did D1 and S1. I'd advise you to look at the course content before choosing though.
    Thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bukalemun123)
    new spec maths is coming out next year so this is the final year you can sit as old spec maths.
    you do 3 modules for each year, so for As + A Levels you do 6 modules in total.
    out of 6 modules :
    -4 are core modules
    -2 are applied modules
    core modules include: Core 1,2,3 and 4 , of which you do 1 and 2 in the first year and 3 and 4 on your final year.
    applied modules include:
    Descision 1,2 / stats 1,2 and mechanics 1,2, of which you can do in 1:1 or 1:2 combinations
    (1:2 being of the same form e.g both being stats)

you get your final grade by calculating the average ums of 3 modules (in as)
    and 6 modules( in alevel)

-- if you get 480/600 ums overall you will get an A , to get an A* you need to get 90+%(and 480/600 ums of course) from the average of c3 and c4.

im self teaching myself (f.) maths either so good luck.
    If its the final year for this spec would it be better to wait for the new spec do you think? Thanks for all the info

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shergill123)
    If its the final year for this spec would it be better to wait for the new spec do you think? Thanks for all the info
    Summer 2018 is the final year of new exam entries for the current specification. You could take some exams this summer and the rest in summer 2018 to complete the A level. If you think it's going to take longer than that or you think you might want to carry on and complete a further maths qualification, you should do the new specification. You don't have to wait for the new specification to start your study. The specifications either have been approved or will be shortly. Text books should start to appear soon. Most of the pure maths content in the new specifications is the same as that in the old ones. Whichever you end up doing, make a start on study ASAP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.