The Student Room Group

Student nurse

Hi guys, I'm about to start university to study adult nursing. My ultimate goal is to eventually be an anesthetic nurse. The problem is I am trying to find out the best way to eventually get there. I know that I will have to set myself apart from the rest of the crowd but I was wondering if anyone could help in terms of what I would have to do to get there. I have tried looking online but I can't find enough information. I know I will have to do a masters but is there anything else that I can do as well? Trying to find information about how to get from starting your uni degree to the ultimate goal is a task in itself and I can't seem to get the information. Any help would be appreciated
the first thing is well done. you've chosen a great profession and even to get on a course is not easy. in your placement opt for any theatre placements that you can get. make sure that your tutors know of your interest. but try not to be in a hurry to specialize you need the basics before you start directing your career path. if the offer an option the take it. once qualified start looking for surgical and theatre posts. to be in theatres you will need additional training. that may need a time as a general nurse.
but again well done enjoy your course and keep on top of the work.
Reply 2
Thank you for replying, that's great!, will I have the option to opt for placements then? I thought that they would give us the placement and we would have no choice about doing it. I hear a lot of student nurses complaining about their placement they have been given. I will definetly take an opportunity that arises, im 28 so I'm hoping that will go for me. I have been looking into do a masters once a qualify so hopefully I get the right one 😂
Reply 3
So I called the uni to see if they do theatre placements at all, they said no, it's all ward based so I think I'm really going to struggle to get some experience
If you only want to work in theatres, why not train to be an OPD?
Reply 5
I don't just want to work in theatres, for a few years I would like to be a nurse on the wards and gain experience. I may find that through placements and experience once I qualify that I really like working on the ward. At the moment I can't say that I don't enjoy it as I havnt experienced it yet.
the surgical wards. the wife was allowed to observe a throat resection. talk to your mentors. it relivent they can get you day placements in different areas. but just relax its seriously afar distant issue. you used to be able to opt for your last placement. but im old loads of things change. if your ambition is to working that area you will. just concentrate on your learning for now. again good luck.
Reply 7
Aw thank you, you have been a lot of help. I will definetly concentrate on my studies for now. Again, thank you for all of your advice 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending